Mothers of picky eaters

everywoman

I was really bored this afternoon (it was raining, house was clean, etc) and happened to watch Opray. Jessica Seinfeld (wife of Jerry) was on promoting her cookbook---called Deceptively Delicious.

The recipes were fairly simple and the food looked good. The audience liked them. They tried it on first and second graders and they loved them. Here's the link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

I'm going to order one for foster daughter, daughter in law, and husband's nieces with young children.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
yes I love the show "John and Kate plus 8" and she also utilizes alot fo the same ideas, she uses all organic and always adds fruit and veggies to everything

Marguerite

I actually ordered the book, then read a few reviews. I found a recipe someone had published online and tried it out on the kids. easy child 2/difficult child 2 saw through it right away. I sat down and did my calculations - if I made that meal (I think it was zucchini muffins) my kids would eat maybe a teaspoon of zucchini for every tablespoon of chocolate cake. I figured it wasn't going to work for our family.

When the book arrived at the bookshop they gave me a choice - did I want it still, or not? I said, not. They were cool with that - it's been walking off shelves here anyway.

I've been doing similar things with food anyway, but found I couldn't make a lot of things because my kids were just TOO fussy about textures.

I think her book is good, as long as the problem is flavours rather than textures. Also, my kids have been eating a good range of fresh fruit & vegetables anyway, I don't have to disguise them. I have a range of recipes where those veggies are right out there in plain sight, and the kids love them!

I certainly think it's worth trying this on really young children who get a 'set' against certain vegetables (probably because they've heard classmates complaining about them). But my kids - no need any more. And it wouldn't work/didn't work. easy child 2/difficult child 2 is the worst, and she won't even eat the same recipe with the same ingredients, cooked by someone else. VERY fussy; but now doing her own cooking in her own apartment.

She'll learn. She'll have kids of her own one day.

[revenge...]

Marg