Mouse in house

Steely

I'm overwhelmed............not handling stress too well lately.
I am worried about the dogs too -
I just found a tic crawling into my bra -
This day is turning out not so good.

Jody

All is relative, of course. I am rather phobic about mice but now they seem to me relatively anodyne creatures. Why? Because when I lived in Marrakech, I shared our basement flat with... rats. They used to climb up the drain pipes. One evening I went into the bedroom to see a fine fellow dancing on the bedside table... Used to call the night guardian in, who found my horror and terror very amusing - he would chase them noisily with a colander and a club and then insist on waving the dead rat in my face (to add to the fun).
Mice any day, please :)[/QUOTE

Malika what is a night guardian????

InsaneCdn

Jody - its a european concept - closest we would have is a security guard, night watchman, that kind of thing - somebody who is there to take care of "bad guys" and any other emergencies. A rat, of course, being an emergency...

DammitJanet

we live on 8 acres of woods/swamp/farmland and are surrounded by the same in all directions. You can imagine that we would get field mice and rats. we had a problem with it for two years but then we got these wonderful tablets that kill really fast. best thing we ever saw. We havent had one more rodent in several years. Oh I take that back...we saw one but had a tablet left over and stuck it on the counter and it was gone the next day and we never saw another and that was two years ago.

Steely

Wow, do you know the name of the tablet?
I am sorta living in a similar type of area - and I realized today after the tic crawled down my shirt - that I better start being more proactive about critters.
AZ had few bugs or mice - but I did have a tarantula reside in my study for 2 days before I could figure out how to get him out. THAT was about as creepy a critter as one can get in their house.
Tomorrow I will go back to the hardware store and look for those tablets, if not that, than mouse traps. I called Matt and he sat there and repeated every single thing you guys told me - including that by the size of it - it is probably a rat. UGH.

susiestar

Roll With It
Fridge and freezer are ONLY mouse proof if the seal is in good shape and is not easy to open. gfgbro had mice, NOT RATS, that first figured out how to push on the seal and get it to give so he found mouse poop in there. Then one apparently couldn't get out, so they chewed through the seal. It was clearly chewed from the inside out, which is how he knew they were getting in through the seal. It was his second fridge - he has one in the house, running of course, and a second running in the garage and a third that doesn't run but is kept to keep food away from the mice/rats/etc.... The one they got into was the one in the garage that ran. He has also had them gnaw through the siding of his trailer. That was rats, though. For a long time he ran off stray cats - he is allergic to them and hates that cats shed because it is "messy". Now he has figured out that if the neighbor's cats or strays are in his yard, and he is not feeding them, they they are hunting and he needs to let them be.

in my opinion you have more than one mouse. If, by some odd miracle you only have one? It is pregnant and you will have more soon. If your dog won't go after them, put out poison. You may need to try different brands or ones with different types of poison in them. the d-con ones sold at walmart here have warfarin in them. It doesn't seem to work on the ones in our area, which happens after a while. We got some other type from the farm and home store (like tractor supply, called Atwoods here, but same thing). It is a LOT cheaper to get the poison from the farm and home than from walmart. And it works a LOT better.

I have been told to put out dry, uncooked jello, that mice will eat it, then it will swell in their tummies and kill them. It doesn't work. One of the homeschool kids I know wondered about it and did an experiment wtih a mouse he caught. Mouse would have been killed in a trap or with poison anyway, and the plan was to see if it worked and if it turned out to be long and drawn out pain, then they would kill the mouse fast so it wouldn't hurt. The mouse liked the jello, over a couple of days ate an entire package and didn't even show any signs of problems. Bummer, because it would have been a lot cheaper than traps or poison, in my opinion. Around here the homeschool kids, kids in 4H and FFA do a lot of things like this - many of them do projects to try to verify wisdom from their parents or grandparents.

In an old house there ARE things you can do to keep mice away. First, they HATE peppermint. Put cottonballs with peppermint oil on them tucked into areas around the entrance of your home. Also consider planting peppermint and other mints around your home. Mint is very easy to grow and very aggressive. It will force out other plants, so be sure there is a barrier between it and any plants you want to keep. If you don't want to plant mint, put mint leaves around any area that mice might come in. Be sure all doors have draftstoppers - actually the as seen on tv ones that go under the door and have a round piece on either side of the door are great because mice can't push under them the way they can some other kinds. Be sure to put out new mint leaves every week or so, or to reapply peppermint oil. Consider using dr bronner's peppermint soap for many cleaning tasks if you like the smell. It can be used to clean almost anything, goes a long way because you dilute it greatly, is gentle and may be cheaper than buying peppermint essential oil. In a pinch, peppermint extract will work if you find it easier than essential oil.

Any holes, cracks, etc.... that mice might come in through can be filled iwth steel wool if you cannot close them otherwise for some reason (renting, can't nail somethingover it, crack in concrete, etc...) Mice hate steel wool. If they try to chew through it, the particles are like little needles inside them. If you have cracks in concrete, consider getting some of that spray can insulation that expands. Or try fix a flat - that stuff you put into a flat tire so you can continue to drive, pretty much is the insulation I was talking about, just another name and maybe easier to find.

Examine any plastic containers you buy to keep mice out of things. The plastic totes sold at stores often have holes in the handle or the rim. While very small, and maybe a mouse couldn't get in, bugs can. If you have or use those, cover the holes wtih duct tape - one piece on the inside and one on the outside. I do find that plastic totes for files, mine have a rim inside for hanging file folders, are often more airtight than the bigger ones we have.

As for mouse stories? Freckles was our best mouser. But when we lived with my folks she adopted one. She killed it's babies when they left the nest, but she would curl up with the momma and had a fit when we trapped it to get rid of it. Never understood why, but she loved that one mouse. Of course, she later became bff's with a cockatiel and she wore makeup, so she was unique!

Cats either learn to hunt during their first six weeks of life from their mother or they don't learn it. I have known a lot of cats (had a gma that we called 'Kitty Cat Gma", to give some idea of how many have been around) and have known maybe one who was a successful hunter who didn't learn it early on. Those cats born to a momma that didn't mouse? Never did learn. So if you are looking for a mouser, ask around and get a kitten from someone with a cat who is a good mouser, or has lived as a stray for a time and survived and wasn't totally starving when found. My father had a cat who would, when asked, go to the neighbor who lived across a big field from us, go into their home, deal with their mouse/mice, and then come home. All Dad did was ask him to go and "protect". Many of my parents cats would come running from the yard or even one of the nearby fields if we called "Protect momma" or "protect Susiestar". Never a hesitation, would leave other prey and come at a run. Of course, we had a labrador who would share his home with mice, squirrels, birds, etc... so I guess the cats felt they had to make up for her.

I hope you get the mice out. Remember the peppermint - it is a pretty powerful deterrent to mice, best we have found to keep them away.

Steely

YAY peppermint!!! Love that idea!!!! :)

Oh yea, the other point Matt made (how did he get so smart anyway) is that this entire house is surrounded by a porch. So it is super possible for a hole to be somewhere in a vent under the house, and I can't see it or fix it, because it is covered by the porch.

Maybe I do need a kitty. I have never brought myself to have one after Ash died - he was the ONE. But it would have to an only outside kitty - and just eats the vermin that run amok in our fields.

Malika

Jody - its a european concept - closest we would have is a security guard, night watchman, that kind of thing - somebody who is there to take care of "bad guys" and any other emergencies. A rat, of course, being an emergency...

Well, not quite Insane... I have actually never seen a night guardian in Europe (though they might exist somewhere). This is purely, and very commonly, a Moroccan phenomenon. In relatively wealthy residential areas, the inhabitants of a little local area all pay a monthly contribution to pay for a man who comes and spends all night in a kind of sentry box in the street outside the houses. The idea being that he would tackle any burglars or car thieves, of course - though in practice these men are ofen so ancient and frail-looking that you rather wonder what might happen in the event of them surprising any intruders...

InsaneCdn

Malika - That's the "night watchman" in Scotland. The point wasn't so much to be able to tackle the problem but to raise the alarm - in sounding the alarm, ALL the men could leap out of bed and go deal with the problem together. But only ONE man had to "watch".

Lucedaleblessed

Our cat has a special sound he uses to call us when he find a mouse. I lure the mouse in a box and he gets a special treat - bigger if the mouse is alive. Both parties are happy and I can take the mouse in the box half a mile down the road where there are several houses between the mouse and my house.

Our present cat we got when he was 5 years. Now he is close to 11 but still very active. I believe there are tons of animal shelters where older cat are left abandoned waiting for a new family. I actually love getting an adult cat. They are more adjusted to the dangers in life like traffic and everytime you lose one grief put a burden on the house for months.

flutterby

Fly away!
Mice are little and cute. Rats are bigger and cute and quite social. We have pet rats, so I'm a bit biased. And I was not sold on the idea at all for a long time.

Personally, I think poison is cruel. But, that's me. Plus, if they die in the walls you can't get to them and they start to stink. Also, never ever use glue traps. Those are worse. If you have only a couple, live traps might work, but you have to take them at least 5 miles away or they'll find their way back. Otherwise, use snap traps. Just beware that snap traps don't always kill them. So, I don't know if poison is more cruel or not. The idea of it just bothers me. Me? I'd put on gloves and try to catch them and take them away. However, while I have a few cats who are happily fed and lazy and content, Abbey would never pass up the opportunity to go after a mouse - or anything else. She is one sadistic kitty when it comes to prey.

Also, cover any opening that is an inch or bigger with something. Cover your dryer vent with a secured screen. Mice only need a one inch opening to get in. Fill in any holes under your porch or crawlspace with the spray insulation stuff.

Actually, if you're renting, this should be the landlord's responsibility, isn't it?

DDD

Just want you to know that I am not reading your post and thread. I know it will bring back bad memories.....and flashbacks. I'm a wimp and from the title I've been there done that. BUT I am sending your warm supportive thoughts and hope that the issue is resolved or will be resolved PDQ. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Well if you dont like mice or rats you are really not going to like what comes after the mice or rats...snakes. Snakes eat rats and mice...so if you get mice, you get the things that eat them. Trust me and dont ask how I know but I do. Shivers.

If you want to get the good poison tablets, go to a local agricultural store. They can show you the best rat poison tablets they have.

Steely

I am now setting my mind on getting 2 mouser kitties. I hate the death of any animal, but poison ultimately affects the drinking water, other animals that eat the dead rat, etc, etc. I just hate to have only outside kitties, because, well it seems somehow not "kind". I am afraid they will get eaten by the coyotes, etc. And I can't have the kitties inside at all because my mom is highly allergic to cats.

Heather, if you would like to pop over from time to time and catch the mice I would pay you lots - LOL. I draw the line with touching rats - oddly - I love snakes. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake in AZ and the friend I was with kept saying move, move - and I just sat there mesmerized by its beauty. But not rats or roaches -

InsaneCdn

There are ways to have "outdoor" kitties that are still "cared for".
This includes... providing clean water and shelter - for example, on the porch... where things like coyotes are not so likely to even try to come... can even be "up higher" where the cats have to climb to get there, which keeps other animals out too.
I've never had cats - but have friends to do/did, including outdoor cats.
They tell me that whatever you "do" for a cat, the cat will pick up on.
Feed them, too. Most good mousers would rather catch (and eat) a mouse than eat cat kibble... but if its poor hunting, its nice to know that somebody is providing something to fill the tummy with.
Have a few cat toys around. Anything to make your house "the place" to be.

Just so that the cats STAY AT YOUR PLACE and eat up YOUR MICE. Rather than someone else's mice!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My mice are coming back in numbers. I'm not happy.

I'm going to forget the traps. They worked but not nearly well enough. I'm going to do a combo, poison and peppermint oil. I don't normally like to do poison if I can possibly avoid it......but this year it doesn't look like I'll be able to avoid it. Not after husband decided to try the electronic devises, which by the way don't work.

Poison is going out in my shed, they love my shed. It's going in the basement. It's going anywhere in the house that I know none of the pets can get to it. Everywhere else is getting peppermint oil to deter them from those areas.

I may be an animal lover but if you come into my house and you're considered a "pest", you're gonna die. Last year was awful and this year is already proving to be worse. I plan to nip it in the bud.

And Janet is right about the snakes following. Only I don't have an issue with them.

donna723

I don't think outside cats would do much good for your problem with mice inside. I have a whole herd of outside kitties but I think all they really do is barricade the mice inside the house where they wouldn't leave even if they wanted to! If one of my"mouser Bostons" catches a mouse, I toss it outside for the cats to eat and they disappear in seconds. The key to finding a good mouser cat is to get a young one whose mother was a good mouser. Not all cats are. A good mouser will teach her kittens how to hunt and kill mice. They will even injure a mouse to slow it down but leave it alive and then bring it to their kittens to bat around and play with. That's how they learn.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
About Mom being highly allergic - I am, too. To unfamiliar ones - slightly - and OUTDOOR unfamiliar ones - horribly. I love cats anyway.

For instance - met HD's Bruce last weekend. He drools. It's cute as anything! But where he drooled on me - mild itch. Nothing to worry about. I didn't pet Minnie or the other outdoor cats though more than once, because I know how I react. And I did not get my hands near my eyes, either...

My cats? My parents' cats? No reaction at all.

J used to have problems with cats... Then they spent more and more time with us, and the cats - and now? NADA. He goes to his Grandma's (bio's mom) - she has a cat? We dose him with benadryl before he goes.

Regardless, there may be things you can do... Like baths before Mom comes over? (Helped originally with J...)