Movie prices

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
We drove past the theatre tonight thinking of going to a movie. First thing that amazed me was the 9-9:45 timeframe movies were not playing. I walked up and the door was locked. To say the least I was shocked. The guy came to the door and told me until the kids are out of school no movies at that time frame. What?!?!?!?!?!

So then I also noticed the sign on the door. Matinee cost is now going to be $8 and regular are going to be $9.75. Those are prices that used to be 5.75 and 7.75. I am aghast. We don't go often. Although moreso now that we only have easy child at home because we know we will be able to sit through a whole movie without being asked to leave or a call vibrating to tell us we need to come to wherever. But this is just ridiculous. I know other areas are more costly but this just seems out of line with such a high jump in price.

I would hate to guess what the costs of snacks have gone to.

Oof,
beth

gcvmom

Here we go again!
YIKES!!! That IS expensive.

Our matinee price now is $5 at a local independent theater. $4 for shows before noon. Shows after 6pm are $8. They show first-run movies, but not always ALL the releases. For example, they don't have Angels & Demons at that one. The theater chains charge more... I believe it's $9.75 or more. In Los Angeles it's upwards of $12 for shows. I refuse to take the kids to evening shows. Just not worth the expense.

witzend

I buy passes at Costco for $7 apiece. But we don't see a lot of movies. It's a $30 night just for the two of us!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Gee, I think I'll stick to waiting and renting. Way cheaper. OMG no way can we afford that.

On the rare occasion I go to the movies it's because Darrin has invited me, which means easy child pays cuz she knows I don't have the spare cash.

I see alot of empty movie seats in their future.

maril

Look out -- sticker shock for the snacks, too! (At least out my way, anyway, lol).

We went for sooo many years just renting videos and more recently DVDs and watching them at home, so, I was thrilled when husband and I finally started to go out to the movies again! I guess I didn't think much about how expensive it has become.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Our local independent theater also has an online coupon for a free small/mini bag of popcorn with your ticket purchase.

We have another theater a few towns over at a mall that used to be owned by AMC but is now an independent discount venue. They have movies that have been out 6 to 12 months and all shows are $1.75 -- $1 on Tuesdays.

If I go to a "regular" chain theater, we usually buy the refillable tub of popcorn and split it 5 ways, then go back for one more refill. It's usually plenty for all of us. And I admit to smuggling in our own candy at times. ;)

SRL

It's become so expensive that a few times if there's been a movie I've wanted to see as a family I've asked for tickets for special occasions. A few years ago we went to see Narnia for Mother's Day and I've asked for tickets for me and the kids to see the upcoming Harry Potter as well.

Ticket prices vary here from $7-8.75 depending on the theater, time, and size/type of screen. We also just had a theater change to all seats $1, but shows movies that have recently been released to DVD. No one wanted to go to the older, smaller screened theater anymore once the big screens opened up so they weren't getting any business.

Wiped Out

Staff member
The prices are unbelievable. My husband is a huge movie buff so we go out once in awhile but often wait til video. If it's a movie we are taking the kids to we try to go to the 10:00 in the morning show where prices are $5.00. After noon they go up!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I go to maybe one movie a year. I'm too cheap to pay the $9...I'll just wait to rent it. And, I NEVER buy their treats. I'm a smuggler, too.

Abbey

Lothlorien

$11.00 for a popcorn and soda, here. We do not buy snacks....ever. Matinee movies are $6.00 now, here and that's the only time we go. I make popcorn at home and bring sodas (all natural) or water bottles and take some other snacks.

I wait until movies come out on DVD and either rent them, get them on PPV or get them for free from the library.

Andy

Not only have ticket prices gone up and concessions just skyrocketed, but we now have the very worse customer service imaginable.

One time we were there early facing a very very very long line and the workers opened the doors 5 minutes before movie started assuring everyone that the show would not start until everyone was seated but did nothing to ask for those in the first show to come forward first. I was mad because I had a child or two whose parents would be there following the show to pick them up. Late start means late ending and that parent would not know how long.

Then last week, only one person was running both tickets and concessions. When I purchased my ticket, I went to the far concession register knowing there would be a long line to follow. The stupid 2nd person who finally decided to come to work and help went to the middle of the line to start serving people! WTH???? I told her that I was first in line and her lame excuse? "That till is not being used." Ugh, then figure it out but serve starting at the beginning of the line. It was probably two feet from the till she was using with a candy display between, she certainly could have started with me and still used her precious till to ring up!

And don't bother trying to purchase a ticket early! My goodness, No! You can not get your ticket until 15 minutes before the show starts and popcorn is ready about 5 minutes before! This is a huge inconvience and we have a theator with no customers so you can imagine the nightmare if they really did have business.

eekysign

Yup, $10-15 a ticket in the Difficult Child metro area, too. I got a popcorn and two sodas a few months back, and the bill was $17.

It's insane.

DammitJanet

We just went to a movie for the first time in years. Angels and Demons. The last movie we saw was Da Vinci Code. We paid 15 for two tickets and 13 for a bucket of popcorn and 2 drinks.

No wonder we normally wait for movies to come out on DVD...lol.

SRL

Do you have to pay a fee for buying tickets online? The one and only time I did that it was $3 extra per ticket. I can drive to any theater in town for cheaper than that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Let's see... When we go, it is special occasion only. Last year we saw 4 movies in the theater - Narnia (my treat, all 4 of us), X-Files (husband's treat, him and me), Iron Man (mother in law's treat), and Twilight (my treat, had discount BOGO, me and husband).

That is the only time I will buy expensive popcorn & sodas. One huge bucket, refillable. 2 large sodas, me & husband share, difficult children share. Usually refill the popcorn 2x - and the sodas once, the large is refillable too.

Tickets are $7.50 for us & difficult child 1 (husband has military discount) and $4.50 for difficult child 2. Regular price is $10.50 adult, $6.50 child. OW!