Status
Not open for further replies.

witzend

Witz, for one thing, you're defining "sociopath" according to your particular view, which is not the same as is widely used; and for another, you are jumping to a conclusion about mrsammler's motives without any evidence. It seems like you're taking some generic remarks and mrsammler's accounts of his experiences with his nephew in a very personal fashion, as though it was meant to be critical and deriding of parents on this board. I didn't take it that way at all, and mrsammler was at some pains to explain more fully, which you seem to have completely disregarded.

I didn't make the definition, Mrsammler did. He's the one that said that they were

"As Cleckley points out at one point, most live their lives as very stunted, immature, amoral, heartlessly selfish (and therefore dangerous) children who never grow up."

If that isn't saying our kids are worthless I don't know what is. Reading Mr. Cleckley's book hardly makes Mrsammler an expert. Helping out on a few weekends for a few months doesn't make him an expert either. And that any of you think it's ok to call our kids stunted, immatiure, amoral, heartlessly selfish and therefore dangerous - and that's only if we're lucky enough that they're not smart enough to rape and murder - I'm appalled.

M

mrsammler

This has become a colossal waste of time. Witzend, I never made any sort of equation between sociopaths and your or anyone's children. If you read the thread you will see that my post was in no way drawing such an equivalence. You grossly misstate what I communicated when you say "He's the one that said that they were...etc". I said no such thing at all, in any way or form, nor was that implied. You seem to have seized upon this idea and clung to it adamantly throughout this thread, to the extent that I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, nor do I advise anyone else to continue to do so. This is a waste of time and energy and attention. We'll just have to disagree about this and move forward regardless.

Steely

Well, since I started this thread, I feel the need to rein it in a bit. So here it goes.

First of all MrS you have done a great job of explaining your situation, and in my opinion have not ever suggested to any of us that we have sociopaths as children.

Second a child with a chemical imbalance or trauma to the brain causes them to act a certain way.

Third of all a sociopath is a Personality Disorder which is quite different than mental illness. A personality disorder can evolve from years of mental illness, or it can evolve from years of abuse, or it can be a born condition. The hard part about a personality disorder, unlike mental illness, is it is virtually untreatable with therapy or medication. It becomes a hard wired function of the brain. Here is the Merck Manual's definition of a sociopath (the Merck Manual is what a lot of doctors use to diagnosis individuals).

Antisocial Personality: People with an antisocial personality (previously called psychopathic or sociopathic personality), most of whom are male, show callous disregard for the rights and feelings of others. Dishonesty and deceit permeate their relationships. They exploit others for material gain or personal gratification (unlike narcissistic people, who exploit others because they think their superiority justifies it).

Here is the link for the entire list of personality disorders. The list is extensive and includes things like Borderline PD, Narcissistic PD. etc
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/me...rders/personality_disorders.html?qt=&sc=&alt=

I believe MrS that you are referring to people who are actually born as sociopaths? Which from what I know is pretty rare. There are usually traumatic, abusive events that led to it - or mental illness with years of maladaptive experiences that led to it.

Again the treatment for personality disorders is difficult as stated by Merck:
However, drug therapy does not generally affect the personality traits themselves. Because these traits take many years to develop, treatment of the maladaptive traits may take many years as well.

I know that EVERY Dr. I have seen with Matt would not even go there with an actual PD diagnosis until he was 18. That is because it takes that long to develop. Now, I am sure Matt has one or two, who knows, but sociopath is actually not one of them. His heart is of gold - he thinks of other constantly - yet he can be violent. So, you know, there you go - this whole thing is very hard to diagnosis.

MrS do you think your nephew could have been abused or witnessed a traumatic event? Has he ever been cognitively tested to see if he does have a mental illness of some sort? This, to me, would make more sense as to why he is so violent rather than being born with a PD.

Last edited:
T

toughlovin

OK Maybe I misunderstood this message board but it is labelled conduct disorders, not mental illness. So my understanding was that this was a place for parents with very difficult children, and PE in particular was for parents with very difficult children who are now adults. And that the reasons why the children are difficult vary, and are not only due to mental illness. It is really not clear that my son has a mental illness unless you count ODD and ADHD as a mental illness. He has been the way he has forever.... and definitely added substance abuse to the mix which made things much much worse.....

I believe snti-social personality disorder is on the continum of ODD, conduct disorder whether you agree with those labels or not. So to me talking about what is sociopathy makes sense in this forum as there may be parents here who are dealing with that.

I definitely agree a diagnosis of that needs to be made very carefully and probably cannot be made to a child or even older teen.

Wizt i appreciate where you are coming from. Early on Mrsammler put me off with what felt like his judgement and diagnosis of his nephew....BUT I do think in this thread he has explained himself quite well and has said he is here to learn and I do think he has been listening. I just don't see the intent that you see in the post you felt offensive. He was quoting from a source, not espousing his own opinion... he may agree with that source of course. I personally did not take it that he was saying that about my child.

I didn't make the definition, Mrsammler did. He's the one that said that they were

"As Cleckley points out at one point, most live their lives as very stunted, immature, amoral, heartlessly selfish (and therefore dangerous) children who never grow up."
When I said you were "defining 'sociopath' according to your particular view, which is not the same as is widely used" I was referring to your first post where you described a sociopath is someone who kills his wife, cuts her up and stuffs her in the crawl space, and lives in the stench. It doesn't mean that to most people. Here again you continue to read more into the word, adding "and that's only if we're lucky enough that they don't rape and murder", which is entirely gratuitous: no one said those words but you, trying to make it sound like something that was never meant.

If that isn't saying our kids are worthless I don't know what is. Reading Mr. Cleckley's book hardly makes Mrsammler an expert. Helping out on a few weekends for a few months doesn't make him an expert either. And that any of you think it's ok to call our kids stunted, immatiure, amoral, heartlessly selfish and therefore dangerous - and that's only if we're lucky enough that they're not smart enough to rape and murder - I'm appalled.
If that's true then virtually everyone on this board is calling our kids worthless, 'cause I see people call their difficult children stunted, immatiure, amoral, heartless, selfish, and dangerous, along with a lot more, all the time - specifically about their own difficult child and about difficult children in general. I'll say it about my daughter because it is the simple truth (including "dangerous" - she causes severe emotional harm to others, and that makes her dangerous). I have to face that and not sugar coat it, if I do I'm part of the problem. I'm not calling her worthless. Getting defensive and saying that someone is calling her worthless when they are not belittling her, but in fact accurately describing her, doesn't help - if anything, it is me enabling her by rushing to insulate her from the facts. I'll defend her against unjust accusations, but if the shoe fits, etc.

H

HaoZi

DSM-IV Definition

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.

Diagnostic Criteria (DSM-IV)

1. Since the age of fifteen there has been a disregard for and violation of the right's of others, those right's considered normal by the local culture, as indicated by at least three of the following:
A. Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.
B. Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.
C. Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.
D. Repeated assaults on others.
E. Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.
F. Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.
G. Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.

2. At least eighteen years in age.

3. Evidence of a Conduct Disorder, with its onset before the age of fifteen.

4. Symptoms not due to another mental disorder.

As for Cleckley, regardless of how groundbreaking his work may have been, a lot has been learned since that 1941 publication, and there is more yet to learn.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
If I may...

I also get a bit touchy about the assumed causes of personality disorders. Though my child is only sixteen, numerous therapists have begun to conclude that we are dealing with an emerging personality disorder of some type....that due to difficult child's current age, cannot be officially diagnosed.

I have NEVER done anything to abuse or neglect my children...and the presumption that I must have done something to cause it (No, Mrsammler has never accused me, nor has anyone on this board) is very hurtful

and I take consolation in evidence that demonstrates that personality disorders can be "inherited" traits, and not as rare as previously thought.

In my family, at least, personality disorders, addictions and mental illnesses run rampant through the family tree. The suggestion that a new seedling might have inherited these traits seems a reasonable one.

So I can see where parents might feel sensitive about implied abuse or neglect - but I don't think that has been the overall tone of this thread.

Just my .02

flutterby

Fly away!
This is one of the reasons I'm not comfortable with those who aren't parents (bio, adopted, or step) of difficult child's being here. Living with a difficult child for 15 months is not the same as 18 years, the investment - emotional and otherwise - isn't the same, the shared history isn't there, the many years of mental health professionals and knowledge learned therein isn't there. I could go on.

Personally, I've had enough judgment in my life because of having a difficult child. I've had many of the same things Mrsammler says about his sister said about me. And it totally turns me off to anything he has to say. True or not, he hasn't been there for all of the 19 years of his nephews life. There is much he doesn't know and I'm not prepared to take the opinion of a layman with 15 months of experience.

Just my two cents.

by the way, anyone ready to get physical with their violent difficult child should be prepared to go to jail or end up in the hospital. We all know what the law is like these days. And we know just how violent some of our difficult child's can be. When a cop can't keep a handcuffed difficult child 2 (handcuffed behind his back) from taking him down, I'm sure as hell not going to try to physically intervene.

N

Nomad

mrsammler Keeping in mind some of these thoughts and sensitivities...I do hope you will continue your posts.
Sometimes it takes someone close to the situation....yet not excessively close (like mom or dad) to see something from a different//new perspective.
I DO wish I had someone in my life to show me with respect, kindness, wisdom, empathy and care all the different ways of looking at my situation.
All our situations are unique, including my own. But I think it is helpful to take in new points of view now and again.

by the way, this has all been fascinating to me as I was very recently thinking of reading literature on this very topic (sociopath diagnosis). Your description sounds correct to me...although when one thinks about how utterly selfish a teen (or very young adult) can be and if you combine this with drug use or mental illness, it is easy how it can get confusing.
However, if a person has been behaviing in a repeated, consistent abusive manner...disregarding the law, taking advantage of others, manipulating others, lacking in empathy and understanding of others, participating in violence and/or criminal activity, lacking in remorse ... again...doing these things repeatedly over years....certainly time to at least think about the idea of "socipathic tendencies."

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can see where parents might feel sensitive about implied abuse or neglect - but I don't think that has been the overall tone of this thread.
I have to agree with DF. Nor have I gotten the impression that anyone has believed our kids to be sociopaths. mrsammler is here to learn and grow as a person as an extended family member of a difficult child. There is nothing wrong with that. He may learn things that will help his sister cope with the situation better, as well as himself. Actually, I can't think of a family member of mine who'd take the time to do that. We also may be offering mrsammler a different view into the life of his sister coping with dealing with her difficult child child and what that must be like for her.

I can say that I haven't taken offense at anything he's had to say. There have been several times he's given me a different perspective to mull over. in my opinion that is not a bad thing. Often people here offer different perspectives to a situation.

Here on the CD board our motto is to take what you can use and leave the rest.

And a by the way on my part.........I was ready/willing/and able to get physical with any of my difficult children if the situation called for it. There were times when I did what was necessary. The law here knows I will do it. CPS knows I will do it. Odd neither has ever had an issue with it. But the day I have no control in my own house will never happen. And I have always been prepared to take whatever consequences there might be for protecting my home, myself, and other children in the home. And before someone takes that the wrong way.......I am not saying another parent should or should not do the same. That is simply the way it was and is in my home.

Marguerite

I don't think there was a specific statement that our kids must be sociopathic. But there do certainly seem to be widely varying views on the definition of the terms and interpretation. Well, we know here on this site that we come form a wide range of backgrounds (and cultures at times!) and we accept this in each other. There is nothing wrong with lively debate - I do think getting defensive can get in the way of this. And both sides of this debate have at times been getting defensive. It's like fingernails across a blackboard to me, so I HAVE noticed!

Definitions do vary. One book does not a diagnosis make. On this site, we do not diagnose. We would get into so many difficulties if we tried to do this, we have learned to perhaps suggest possibilities, but always to urge getting a professional opinion.

As for sociopaths/psychopaths - in my corner of the world, the term is completely interchangeable. MAybe Australia is a backwater (although we have one of the best health systems in the world, so in this, I do not think so) but I will stick with the understanding I have got from my own country. Now, diagnosing sociopathy is not easy, because the patient generally is not at all interested in accepting there is anything wrong with them. So we are left with the layperson watching from the outside and drawing their own generally unqualified opinion.

Now to my own unqualified opinion - I believe I know/have known a number of sociopaths. One was a work colleague who made my life purgatory. BUT we do tend to fall into the trap of thinking that sociopaths are likely to be criminals - while they may have no conscience and no empathy, they are generally intelligent and also realise that the laws are there, whether they like it or not, and to break those laws puts them at risk of losing their liberty. So the stereotypical homicidal sociopath is actually more unusual. From what I have been taught, most sociopaths (or psychopaths - for me the term is the same) are law-abiding, if only to ensure they remain at liberty.

Now - mental health is, like the rest of medicine, very inexact. I've seen people, kids in their teens, get a sociopathy label inappropriately when the problem is actually Asperger's (as later diagnosed). These kids appear to totally lack empathy and it is then assumed they also totally lack a conscience. But not necessarily. We have to realise, we don't always recognise a different way of expressing such things.

I think we have also gotten off topic. A more important question, rather than bogging down in sociopathy or otherwise (considering none of us are sufficiently qualified), is to ask - in our opinion, as parents, what makes a kid a difficult child? For each of us, the answers will be different. But one thing is clear to me, from all I have gleaned in the years I have posted on this site: not in every case, but in most cases, the people who come here to post, are here because of sheer desperation. A slack or lazy parent wouldn't bother. A parent in denial wouldn't stay here. They would not want to face that there could be a problem that doesn't have a simple solution. So for those of us here on this site, especially the long-termers - we are not a representative sample, folks. And mrsammler - please be aware, we have been doing this for a very long time, we have used every expert resource and this is still where we are. For a lot of us, it is heaps better than where we were.

In other words, mrsammler, we are not your sister. Our kids are not your nephew.

That doesn't mean we can't listen to your concerns and perhaps offer some insight. But if neither your sister nor your nephew are interested in change, or perhaps even able to change, there really is not much you can do.

I would suggest you look up "co-dependency" and see if it has their photos on the cover. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

It is always important to try to identify exactly what the underlying problem is, in each case. Two kids could seem identical, but need a totally different approach, based on the real cause. For example, Step mentioned her stepdaughter's history of sexual abuse. What that kid has been though, would be enough to unbalance anyone. But you can't go back and unring the bell. There are other factors there complicating the picture. But another child on this board who behaves similarly, may have no history of being sexually abused. Or there might be another kid who was molested, but has not gone down that path. Why the difference?

I don't know. That's why I'm here. it helps to kick this around and try to find out.

That is why when we post, we try to be open, to listen, to recognise that others are not necessarily dealing with exactly what we are. We also have to be careful to not be too simplistic in our suggestions. Over on General, for example, there has been a long thread on the subject of therapists wanting to try behaviour charts with a girl who is so far beyond behaviour charts, it is not funny. The therapists have no other suggestion to offer, but they were called in by the mother because nothing works! It is very frustrating when you have really tried a great deal, thought laterally, done your utmost, then you yell for help - only to be told to try something that you totally ruled out years ago as completely useless.

I have raised four kids now. The eldest is a easy child. So it's not my parenting that has resulted in my having difficult child kids too. OF those with difficult child in them, they are all different. The discipline methods I used for the first three kids worked well. But when I tried to apply them to difficult child 3 - wow! Massive failure! I had to find something else that worked. And I did - "Explosive CHild" worked for us. it's not a cure, but it has been the best management of anything we have found. But it has to be done properly, looked into properly. it is not appeasement, it is not turning yourself into a doormat for the child. Far from it.

We each do what we can with what we have got. And we each have to listen, and be open, and not make sweeping judgemental statements of the "when did you stop beating your wife?" category (a phrase of husband's).

Which reminds me - my husband is another male who lurks here every day and posts occasionally. I don't think he's ever posted on PE though. Maybe because our main concerns are difficult child 3 who is still a teenager...

I would strongly recommend some reading. A lot of reading. Widely, on a range of topics. Then read a lot of threads. Go back into the archives. There you will find the distilled wisdom of this site. I still go and dip into it from time to time, even though I saw a lot of it the first time around. it is always good to take a refresher course.

Depending on what you want from us, mrsammler, we could be very helpful as a resource. But I'm not sure what it is you want, so without being able to work that out, it is very difficult to know how to assist you.

Marg

CrazyinVA

Staff member
This thread has veered off course a bit since the original posts/discussion, so I'm going to go ahead and close it. Thanks much to everyone who contributed, including mrsammler for addressing the original questions raised here.

Status
Not open for further replies.