Mrscatinthehat....

klmno

So, I'm curious and interested... have you looked into becoming an advocate yet? If so, what have you found out? Are you still interested?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Thanks for asking. I called. They sent me the application. I have looked it over but not filled it out yet. One of the fascinating things is I have to go through training on a couple things one of which being the juvinile legal system. I figure that knowledge in and of itself would be amazingly worth it. Plus some other training is involved.

I plan on filling the paperwork out soon. Just been letting it sit here and stare at me a few days so I could ponder if I am doing the right thing. The funny thing about that is that I don't ponder a lot. I usually just make a decision and jump. Then let the chips fall. I don't know why this one is taking me such a long time to wrap myself around. I want to do it. But for some reason I keep checking everything. I guess probably because we were let down by so many people (still are some days) and I want to make sure I will NEVER do that to anyone else.

thanks for asking.

beth

klmno

Good for you!! I hope you go for it. It's a good sign that they are providing training on that stuff right off the batt. Do you have to commit to a certain period of time if you go through the training? That would be something to think about. Otherwise, you might as well jump in there!! I think it's great that you even considered it.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
You can't do anything until you take the training. Then they say a person would give about 4 hours a month on the norm. I mean really I piddle away way more than that on the computer.

beth

klmno

Only 4 hours a month? Even I could squeeze that in. That makes me a little worried though- do they really think a kid with mental health issues or who's been abused and is involved in the legal system only needs an advocate for 4 hours a month?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
That is the average. Not all cases are that short. And you generally only have one case at a time. Which is actually nice from a volunteer standpoint.

beth