M's b-day

witzend

husband is picking M up Friday after work and he will come by the house for dinner. I have some new clothes for him that he can wear at work.

I did talk to him about his job yesterday. He is excited and likes the boss, but "he can see why L might have had problems with her." I think she was a straight laced employer and L doesn't like rules, especially when she is working in her dad's office. I told him to just let that be between the two of them, he's not L, and it has nothing to do with him.

I invited L, as I am not "seeing red" mad any longer. husband or I will nip it in the bud if she brings something unpleasant about her time at that office up. Something along the lines of "Maybe you can let M have his own experience there, since you were unhappy with yours."

It should be a challenge. I have cabinets and some countertops in the kitchen. I have a stove and a fridge but no sink or dishwasher. I'll get some fresh corn on the cob and some ice cream for desert and call it good. We're supposed to be in a heatwave, and our AC is working (for now) so maybe we can go Wii bowling or something. We have a big day planned for the next day, so we will have a good excuse to send everyone home early and keep it short.

This is the first time M has been invited to our house since Christmas 2003, when he didn't show up. Wish us luck!

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well hopefully L will not bring a guest with her! I hope M has a nice Birthday, sounds like this is a huge step of kindness and an olive branch so to speak. WII is always good! I love the bowling.
Here is hoping for m to show up and L to keep her "cool"...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz

I hope the birthday bash goes well. You're braver than I am to cook with no sink or dishwasher. lol

Sounds like this job just may work out for him, afterall. :)

(hugs)

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Wishing you good luck with the dinner......think you've got the right idea with not expecting too much, too soon.......no sink? I'm thinking paper plates would look good right now........or maybe taking the dishes outside and hose them down for after dinner activity..........

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sounds like a few good reasons to go out to dinner. No preparation, no clean up, when you're done at the restaurant your evening is over. ;)

Fingers crossed, Witz. I hope it's a great evening.

Suz

meowbunny

Hope all goes well. It sounds like some good plans in place.

I wouldn't worry too much about L's toxicity and negativity. It sounds like M already has a good perspective on it.

mom_to_3

Christmas 2003 is a long time ago. I'm happy for you that you are at this juncture in your lives that he CAN come home. Enjoy your family!

trinityroyal

Fingers crossed that everything goes well.
(I second the paper plates, hosing down or restaurant ideas)

Please let us know how things turn out.

Trinity

witzend

Luckily, L has plans that evening to go to the fair with her boyfriend after he gets off work, and isn't sure that she can show for very long, if at all. I have actually done some hosing off of greasy plates in the yard. Paper plates are on the shopping list. I have corn on the cob, some meat to bbq, salad, & bread. There shouldn't be too much cleaning up after. I honestly don't care at this point how messy the house is for the kids, so I'm not doing any grand cleaning ahead of time. I'm just too tired.

witzend

I bought paper plates, L is bringing her boyfriend and fresh cracked crab. Hopefully the boyfriend will help keep the disturbances down to a minimum. I have a bag of salad, a bit of fresh bread, marinated pork loin for the grill, fresh corn on the cob for the grill, and bottles of pop and beer. Sounds like very little clean up to me. I need to vacuum, but we're in the middle of two remodeling projects right now so everyone had better understand that there's going to be cans of paint and junk laying around. I am calling an end to the festivities at 9:00. I'm beat!

witzend

It went very well. I am totally exhausted. I have been on my feet for days, and I'm generally good for about 20 minutes. I have been pushing myself way too hard.

He came over, I was beat. He and husband played Wii, and I joined in for one game of bowling. L came later, so there wasn't a lot of opportunity for her to butt in. He likes his job a lot, and they seem to like him. The owner likes him but didn't like his clothes (khaki's & a dress shirt - but he's 6'4" so it's hard to get things that fit) and doesn't want to wait for him to get a few paychecks under his belt, so they are giving him a $500 Nordstrom certificate to buy clothes to their liking, and are paying his cell phone bill. He says he really wants to keep this job and it makes him feel like a grown up. I like that.

L came later, and her boyfriend came late enough to eat a plate we saved for him and play one more game of bowling. husband is being an oaf, but hopefully he'll crown any moment now. boyfriend had been fishing in the mouth of the Columbia and just outside the ocean bar, and brought us 6 (!) fresh (and cleaned) dungeoness crabs. Of course, I don't have a kitchen sink, or even much of a garbage can, but I will do my best to figure it out, YUMM!

All in all, it was a pleasant evening. I am literally on the verge of tears from the pain I am in from overdoing it on a garden project (that's an understatement but it doesn't bear going into) this week. But I'll get to bed as soon as I drink enough water to unswell my feet a little bit. Between the overworking, being on my feet, and the heatwave, I am retaining water something awful.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz I'm so glad the birthday went so well. Sounds like fun.

I love that M really likes the job and they like him enough to give him a gift certificate so that he can be dressed properly to keep the job. That rocks!!!

I hope you sleep in today and make a lazy day of it. You deserve it. :D

Hugs

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
WAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bravo:

All of you not only survived but it sounds like it went very well, too! What a great post to wake up to!

Suz