MSNBC Article Cites High Rate Of Personality Disorders in College Students

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I just read this and was going to post it! LOL
Interesting... I don't know quite what I think yet? Are the numbers inflated? Are they real Psychiatric issues that are serious or just normal for that age? College is a tough age, mid-20's. Just like adolescence! People trying to find their place in the world...
I don't discount it just think it is interesting...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'd never heard of the "Obsessive Compulsive Personality disorder" before. It seems to translate into control freak. Is this some new diagnosis? I know the symptoms are not new because husband has SEVERAL women in his family who are like this!

I find it curious that the article lumps alcohol and drug abuse into a mental illness in and of itself. To my way of thinking, they are merely manifestations of depressive and anxiety disorders. I've said this before that I have a problem with programs that try to address the drug/alcohol problem as the being THE problem, when the real problem is mental illness which, if left untreated, will only result in failure to resolve the alcohol/drug issue. And no amount of therapy can totally "cure" someone who is THAT depressed or THAT anxious that they've resorted to self-medication.

College is a VERY tough age -- lots of stressors that could understandably bring out the worst in someone. But I was really surpised at the statistics -- 20 PERCENT?! And of those, less than 1/4 actually get treatment. That speaks to a HUGE gap in public awareness and willingness to treat mental illness, and it needs to change. Maybe we will one day witness the end of the stigma attached to it which prevents many from seeking help either for themselves or for a loved one.

susiestar

Roll With It
It looks like an interesting study, though whether it will stand up to scientific scrutiny I just don't know. The interviews were done by interviewers who were not psychiatrists or psychologists. That ALONE makes me think figures may be higher than are actually present.

I also think it is very hard to figure out if those with drug/alcohol problems have them because mental illness other than that, because they ahve the gene that we know is at least part of alcoholism, or if they learned alcoholic behavior patterns from family members. There are SO MANY reasons behind these problems, not to mention the other problems in the survey.

I also think the figure of 25% of those who have a mental disorder get help is VASTLY over-inflated. The university in my town has a substantial student population when you count the undergrads adn grad students. There is also a 2 year college adjunct to the university. This is one of the 2 major state univs in my state. And they have 1 psychiatrist who works 2 days per MONTH at the health center. They have 4 tdocs who work there, and then there is a counselling center with services provided by senior and grad students, overseen by licensed tdocs. I am not sure how many baby tdocs see clients each semester at the teaching center. BUT to have just 2 day a month where a student can see a psychiatrist - IF they can get in, that is (I had to pull MAJOR strings to get in, and it was over a full semester's wait - few, if any students will/can wait that long).

I am not susre that the numbers cited in this study are reliable, but if they bring ANY increased services to college kids, I am all for it.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I was getting ready to post this, too.

I have mixed feelings about the study, the numbers do seem high. However, I also think there are an awful lot of young adults with undiagnosed mental illnesses, so I'm glad this at least brings attention to the problem. I think it's tough to label someone an "alcoholic" in college, as well, since there is so much binge drinking and drug experimentation that goes on. Whether such things end up becoming a true addiction, can really only be known over time. Some people drink like fishes in college, then leave and go on with their lives and switch to drinking more average amounts. Others, continue to drown themselves. It all depends on the person.