Mucinex...never again

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've found two I could handle...at least for a while. Haldol of all things, which I did well on for several years and then developed a movement disorder, which thankfully went away after I quit taking it, and Latuda, which so far is OK so long as I take it with-Cogentin for tremor. Thankfully, VA medications-by-mail has it in their free pharmacy as there is no way I could dream of affording it on my own, not even the co-pays. The only AD I've found that I can tolerate is Celexa. I had a pretty horrific reaction to Seroquel, that almost scared me away from psychiatric medications completely.

Jabberwockey

Thank you! I will never take any over the counter medication again. But I wont drink whiskey either...lol. i dont drink and dont think I should start with whiskey.

As a kid my mom would make cough syrup with honey, lemon juice, and Jack Daniels. You cook it so there is little to no actual alcohol content and it worked well. As a matter of fact, the only cough drops that work for me are the Halls Honey and Lemon Juice.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
As a kid my mom would make cough syrup with honey, lemon juice, and Jack Daniels. You cook it so there is little to no actual alcohol content and it worked well. As a matter of fact, the only cough drops that work for me are the Halls Honey and Lemon Juice.

Actually, leaving the alcohol in makes it work better for coughs. Alcohol is as, or more effective than codeine as a cough suppressant.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Certainly, but you'd have to do some math. I use 1 oz of 80 proof liquor. That's 40% alcohol. You'd have to look at the percentage of alcohol in the specific wine you have (it varies), and calculate out the dosage from that. Using more than that has the opposite effect. (Getting drunk while suffering from any type of respiratory infection is the LAST thing you want to do.) I would suggest red wine due to the bioflavenoids, etc., that it contains: a little extra health boost.

If you normally do not drink ever/at all, halve the amount of alcohol the first time you try this. I only drink a few times a year, but did drink more heavily in the distant past. I can handle an oz. Note that alcohol has the reverse effect on me. (It's a potent stimulant, not a depressant)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
What you are going for is .4 or .2 oz of alcohol. Easy with liquor, but a bit of a PITA with wine. If you'd like, you can make mulled wine. The heat and added spices and honey will help the cold and congestion/cough even more.

Lil

I highly recommend a mug of mulled wine. Red wine, honey, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, allspice, orange peel...

Not necessarily for a cold, mind you. ;)