Music we listen to....Past and Present

New Leaf

Hey gang GN and I got into a chat about our fave music, then and now. What's your cup of tea?
Stones, CCR, Joan Baez, Jefferson Airplane,ELP, Klezmer (Jewish Bluegrass basically), Old protest songs from WWI and WWII. I loved the folk of the 60s and 70s. I love chant, celtic music, Led Zeppelin, though more their acoustic stuff these days. I've gotten a bit away from the heavy metal scene
Heavy metal is a bit much for me, too. Back in the day....Yes, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Bad Company, Steely Dan, omg there is a lot more. I mix it up now, classical, Sinatra, Kentucky Bluegrass, all sorts of stuff. I like chant and Celtic also and of course, good ole backyard luau cha-langalang Hawaiian....(had to be there to know what I am writing about!)
leafy

InsaneCdn

I suppose I'm a bit eclectic. Classical. Jazz. Klezmer. Barbershop. Classic Country. Classic Rock (Beatles, Beach Boys, etc.). Inspirational. Spiritual. Pipes - traditional organ pipes, panpipes, bagpipes...

Can be vocal or instrumental.

Lil

I'm also very eclectic in my musical tastes. I listen to anything with the exception of Rap and I've never been a fan of Dixieland Jazz or really twangy old country. I like old rock and roll and new stuff too. My favorite song ever - Don't Fear the Reaper - you have to play it LOUD.

But if I have to pick a genre, it would be island music. Jimmy Buffet is my hero. And I love reggae. The other day my son was in the car and I had Radio Margaritaville playing on Sirius. Some Bob Marley came on and I turned it up. His remark was "The only people I know who like this are serious stoners...and my mom." LOL

svengandhi

I like 60's pop rock and 50's doo wop and I have no shame about it. The American Grafitti soundtrack and Grease are two of my favorites. I love The Beach Boys, the Partridge family, etc. but I can't stand the Osmonds. H says I have no musical taste because I also love Lady Gaga and some Britney Spears. I love old Springsteen, Southside Johnny, Phil Ochs, early Beatles, Phil Spector wall of sound stuff, some folk stuff. I like the klezmer and Jewish music as well. I can't stand hip hop or rap, I detest country music and still can't figure out how I actually birthed two sons who love the stuff (we live in the suburbs of NYC and we are Jewish, not exactly the typical country music profile!). Heavy metal gives me a headache and in the 70's, I turned down a ticket to a Dead concert to go see John Denver instead and still don't regret it. However, the one style of music that I can't even bear to listen to is jazz - it makes my skin crawl. If I had to listen only to a few albums for the rest of my life, they would be (in no particular order), Grease, Aida, Bruce's first greatest hits album, Pat Benatar's Greatest Hits and the CD my daughter made of her original music (she leans to folkie-indy type stuff).

KTMom91

All time favorites: Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Garth Brooks...

Even though I listen to several Top 40 radio stations, I don't have any current favorite artists. There are songs I like that have good words - a necessity for me - but all from different artists. Unless you want country or hair bands, our local radio options svck.

nlj

Iron and Wine
I want Sam Beam to write the soundtrack of my life.
(He's already touched on it a few songs. He must have some secret CCTV cameras stashed around my house, giving him ideas ...)

and Natalie Merchant, who's been with me since I was 19 when I went to an amazing concert by a band I hadn't heard of until that fateful night.

We were spoilt in the 60s and 70s and 80s weren't we? There was so much good music around. I listen to some of the stuff my youngest listens to now and it seems to have been made in a generic factory for c*** music. Depressing. I was listening to Pink Floyd at her age.

Last edited:

New Leaf

You need to post a link to this. Can't keep it to yourself!
Lol, I have been looking for a good example. Haven't found one yet. Oh, I am going to reminisce a bit........
I have been to a few family luaus in my time, under a big tent in someone's backyard, trade winds blowing, big old makeshift tables set up on wooden horses with long homemade benches. The tents decorated with coconut fronds, beautiful heliconias and fragrant plumerias. Kids playing on old tire swings, family working in the set up kitchen, prepping local food. Further down in the yard, big burly cousins pulling kalua pig hot out of the imu, the underground oven that steams a whole pig, using special stones, banana stumps, leaves and ti leaves.
Old folks sitting on the corner table playing dominos, sipping their beers real nice and slow, giggling and teasing each other in pidgin english with Hawaiian mixed throughout. A stage of some sorts, pallets and plywood set up in the front area for the musicians, decorated with ti leaf and huge floral arrangements. People would stream in through the late afternoon, bringing leis, potluck dishes and gifts. The first band arrives with steel guitars, ukuleles and a homemade bass instrument made from a wash tub, broomstick and rope. They set up and there is laughter and excitement. Folks kissing and hugging. There is so much magic in the air at an occasion like this. Lead singer intros with a joke or two, the band plays an old favorite Hawaiian song and the aunties jump up to dance hula. The night is young and there will be a few bands playing, more hula dancing and merriment. Folks will shout out requests from the crowd, and someone will jump up to sing with the band. The food is so delicious and plentiful. Fresh fish fried up crispy, squid luau, chicken long rice, lomi salmon, limu poke (raw fish with seaweed), sweet potato, pickled onion, barbeque steak and desserts of all kinds. People bring their own coolers with their beer or cocktails. After a few songs an uncle will come to the stage and say a prayer, blessing the food, the occasion, everyone holds hands in a big circle. The family designated to work the kitchen quiets down and joins in the prayer. Then folks line up to get their plates and sit down for some real authentic Hawaiian food, good entertainment and a beautiful evening. Some bands will arrive with their own hula dancers, what a treat! Sometimes our Tahitian friends would come and play their music. The night would go on and on with many surprises and much laughter. When we would go to family luaus like this, the aunties would never let us leave, " No baby, don't go, stay for one more song, one more beer."
We would eventually have to sneak away, lol.
Ahh the good ole days. It's been a long while since I have been to an old style luau where the pig is pulled fresh out of the imu.
I will have to find the music, now that I have set up the ambiance, the search goes on........
leafy

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Going to see Heart, Joan Jett and Supertramp (all one concert) at the lakefront this summer as well as Coldplay. I also just saw Maroon 5 and Shania Twain so I'm all over the map. Also enjoy old rock like Aerosmith, Eagles etc. Love music!!

Lil

Oh...that is sad. Didn't have anything to do with Blue Oyster Cult though...they did Don't Fear the Reaper.

But Emerson, Lake and Palmer was a great group too. All these musicians dying lately...I'm starting to feel really old. :(

New Leaf

Okay searched and searched but couldn't find a backyard video, so I found the next best thing, a compilation of Hawaiian artists performing in beautiful scenery throughout the islands. The music is much like country with its own twist of Hawaiian rhythms and song, plus the magic of slack key guitar. Hawaiians have a way of tuning their guitars and dancing their fingers across them to create melodies that sound like several instruments combined, yet it is one musician playing.
Hawaiian songs have great meaning. They all tell stories, and many times will have hidden meaning or kaona, for instance, when singing of flowers, the composer is also referring to a beloved.
I am thankful for the blessings, to have lived here and experienced what I have. Although it is difficult being so far from my family, I would not trade my life here for anything.......

Ka Naʻi Aupuni (The Conquerors of the Nation) - William Kahino
Composed in 1906,this song honors the great chiefs of the islands. Keawe of Hawaiʻi, Piʻilani who ruled the Hono bays of Maui; Kākuhihewa, chief of Oʻahu; Manokalanipō, king of Kauaʻi. The words are attributed to Kamehameha Nui on his death bed, as he counselled the chiefs surrounding him. They all agreed that only righteousness would preserve the nation of Hawaiʻi. Stanza 4 of the hui is our state motto taken from a speech by Kamehameha III, given at Kawaiahaʻo Church, July 31, 1843.

E Hawaiʻi nui kuauli
E nā hono aʻo Piʻilani
*(ʻO Maui nui a Kama)
Oʻahu o Kākuhihewa
Kauaʻi o Manokalanipō

Hui:E naʻi wale nō ʻoukou
I kuʻu pono ʻaʻole pau
I ke kumu pono o Hawaiʻi
E mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i ka pono

I hoʻokahi kahi ka manaʻo
I hoʻokahi kahi puʻuwai
I hoʻokahi kahi ke aloha

He leo aloha ia paʻē mai
Mai nā kūklu mai o Kahiki
E ī mai ana iā ʻoe e Hawaiʻi
E mālama i ka maluhia
E mālama i ka maluhia

Great Hawaiʻi with its verdant country
The bays of Piʻilani
*(Great Maui of Chief Kamalalawalu)
Oʻahu of Kākuhihewa
Kauaʻi of ManokalanipōChorus:
Come all of you, stand together
My deeds are not yet complete
Hawaiʻi must have moral foundation
The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness
Be of one mind
Be of one heart
Be of one love

Voice of love speaking for all
From the foundation of Kahiki
Urging you, Hawaiʻi
Preserve the peace
Preserve the peace

leafy

Lil

Ha...I just realized you can scroll thru my "Awesome Music" playlist on these embedded videos and see how eclectic my taste really is. lol