Musty smell

flutterby

Fly away!
My house was powerwashed 2 Friday's ago. Since then, it has smelled musty in the living room and kitchen - both are in the front of the house. I have been running the dehumidifier non-stop, and it's much better in the living room, but not in the kitchen.

Any ideas?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

Do you mean they washed the outside of the house - and you are noticing a foul smell INSIDE the house?

That's not good!

Did they get water inside your walls by spraying between the siding or something?

flutterby

Fly away!
Yes, they power washed the siding and it has smelled musty inside in the front of the house ever since. I have a huge humidity problem in this house as it is. I have to run a dehumidifier year round - even in the winter.

I have no idea if they got water in the walls. I haven't seen any evidence of it.

KTMom91

I think water has gotten behind the siding and into the walls, possibly aggravating an existing mold situation.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I agree with Daisy and KT - someone did a NO NO....time to call the co. back and say -----I dunno what... (DAISY?) but musty smell after powerwashing is not right.

flutterby

Fly away!
The owner's brother-in-law did the power washing. Sigh. I really don't want to have to deal with this. How do I determine if and where there is mold if I can't see it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I dunno for sure............but I have awful visions of them having to remove the siding to look..........hopefully not.

What made me think of it was my stepdad let his daughter rent his house. He had central AC. Now why she thought it necessary to place a window AC unit in one of the rooms is beyond anyone.....it was a small house, not hard to cool, insulated as all get out so it wasn't too expensive either. Well, she tilted the unit wrong somehow and instead of dripping onto the ground it was dripping under the siding. She didn't "notice" for months........but then the damage was pretty bad. Siding had to be removed, parts of the wall, insulation had to be removed.....it was a mess.

He cleaned it up for her, then just signed the house over. I'm guessing he didn't figure he'd have an easy time selling it due to the mold that had set in. That's the way he used to think.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well, if it were me?

I'd politely call and tell them they "caused" a musty smell....which I would fully expect them to deny.

I would then invite them out to the house to sniff for themselves (which they may or may not take you up on). I would also firmly tell them that I expect them to remedy the situation ASAP....and if they don't, I will find someone who will.

If they offer to come out and make it right...great!

If not - I'd be on the phone with mold-remediation folks....and I would ask them to DOCUMENT the smell...and the conditions of the walls...

And then I would take the power-washers to court for the cost of the repairs.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Oh dear!

Well, that does make things a bit trickier...

OK - if you haven't done so already, invite the landlady over and point out the musty smell. At the very least, you want to make sure you do not get blamed for any odor, mold or mildew that may result from this incident.

Let her know that IF the musty odor persists, or if you see the growth of mold or mildew....you will NEED to get a mold-remediation team out to check things for health reasons.

Meanwhile, yes run the fans and the de-humidifiers....but if there is mold growing within the walls, I don't think that will be enough!

I hope you can get this cleared up before anybody gets sick...