My 34yo psychotic son threatening suicide

I guess this is an update from other threads I have posted. I really have no one to talk to because of the sensitive nature of the topic to my family. My one goal is to get my son help somehow because he is alone in his world of delusions. He always was a sweet sociable person, so this "new" experience of irrational negative thought has been very painful for him as all of his friends and family have turned away and he is officially homeless now as well. I hear the thunderstorms roaring all night and day and i cannot bear to think of him being out there all alone. He texted me tonight and said it was unbearable for him to have to do all the "research" (his delusion) on his own. He said that he has no family because they won't come to help him or to look at his specimans and that he was going to hang himself in the mini storage unit so that people would be forced to come to see what he has uncovered. ( He has rock specimans by the hundreds or thousands that he has discovered are actual Fairy people. They are all dead. He has never seen a live one but believes there may be some alive somewhere.) When I told them I was going to send cops to do a welfare check (because he created an emergency situation) he cussed me out and blocked me. Now I just don't know...but I am paralyzed with fear and dread

ksm

I am so sorry your son is going thru this and how it must affect you. I wish that we had better mental health options...

Did you call for a welfare check? Do you know where his storage unit is located?

Hugs. newksm

I am so sorry your son is going thru this and how it must affect you. I wish that we had better mental health options...

Did you call for a welfare check? Do you know where his storage unit is located?

Hugs. newksm
I did not send the cops because I was afraid of further alienating my son. He has been in jail before and has had a felony conviction. this is all new to me and I am lost on how to respond. Yes I do know where the mini storage is. i am afraid to go there...

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I am so very sorry. My heart hurts for you.

Praying that you will get some much needed relief and that he will too.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Do you have a mental health crises hot line in your county? You could call them and just talk to them about his situation without actually doing anything. They are usually a great resource for information, both for what can be done now for him and in the future.

It seems he could be deemed a danger to himself, which could get him placed in a hospital mental health unit for at least a couple of days, may or may not do any good for him. It's not the police you want to go do a check on him, it would be the mental health crises unit. But they usually bring the police with them these days I think. One thing that strikes me is I'm pretty sure it's not legal to live in a storage unit, so he might get kicked out if the police are involved. One thing the mental health crisis people could do, and have done for my son, is to call him on the phone and talk to him. He then met them somewhere else and went to the hospital with them.

I know you are the only person he has right now, but considering he's already blocked you, for now, I would just try to take action to get him some help and ask anyone that gets involved not to mention your name and why you don't want them to.

BusynMember

It is so hard to get a mentally ill person admitted into a hospital. But if he threatens his own life he can be! I would do this to save his life if you can...he sounds dangerously ill/psychotic. If it were me, I'd try. His illness, maybe paranoia, is likely why he doesn't trust you. If he is treated and no longer psychotic he probably won't be angry at you then....psychosis is very cruel to the sufferer and the ones who love the person.

Our mental health system is basically broken...jail is where our mentally ill often end up. Sending prayers, love and hugs.

AngelaS

I guess this is an update from other threads I have posted. I really have no one to talk to because of the sensitive nature of the topic to my family. My one goal is to get my son help somehow because he is alone in his world of delusions. He always was a sweet sociable person, so this "new" experience of irrational negative thought has been very painful for him as all of his friends and family have turned away and he is officially homeless now as well. I hear the thunderstorms roaring all night and day and i cannot bear to think of him being out there all alone. He texted me tonight and said it was unbearable for him to have to do all the "research" (his delusion) on his own. He said that he has no family because they won't come to help him or to look at his specimans and that he was going to hang himself in the mini storage unit so that people would be forced to come to see what he has uncovered. ( He has rock specimans by the hundreds or thousands that he has discovered are actual Fairy people. They are all dead. He has never seen a live one but believes there may be some alive somewhere.) When I told them I was going to send cops to do a welfare check (because he created an emergency situation) he cussed me out and blocked me. Now I just don't know...but I am paralyzed with fear and dread
I am walking with you in the same shoes,
I don't know if I ever see him! I can't breathe from this unbearable pain that has bent me to the ground and brought me to my knees!

I don’t know how to survive this grief💔

Copabanana

Dear Angela and 16

Why not start your own thread? I am so very sorry you are walking this path too. My son is mentally ill and homeless, too. I first came here more than 7 years ago. It took me many years to be able to tolerate my pain and fear. But I am okay now, even though my son is on the street, I don't know where he is, and don't have a way to contact him.

What I eventually accepted was that my son is an adult, and he must be allowed to learn and to decide how he wants to live, according to his own capacities and values, not mine. That is how all of us build a meaningful and purposeful life. Many, many people are psychotic and then they decide to accept help. They do so because they tire of the way that they are living.

My values are that if we have a mental illness, we get treatment. My values are we work according to our abilities. My values are that each of us deserves the dignity of a stable home. My values are that we cooperate and pay our way. But these were not my son's values, at least until now. It was so very important that I accepted that my son and I were two different adults with two different sets of priorities. Until I accepted that I was the disordered person, not him.

I am very sorry that you are suffering, whoever you are who may be reading this. It is the worst possible pain.

I am here to tell you that you can heal. And it is possible to heal, even if your adult child has not. I have accepted that this is the best thing for me, and for my son. That I no longer sacrifice myself for him. By doing that I only made it harder for him. Let alone myself. I have come to accept that it is better that I function and not dash myself against the rocks in despair. I don't believe any of us deserves that and our children don't deserve that, either.

Nomad

Staff member
So sorry. How extraordinarily difficult. As others said, a threat of suicide will get him into a hospital/facility.

But concentrate on yourself. Consider getting some counseling. This burden is enormous. We understand.

I don't know if I ever see him! I can't breathe from this unbearable pain that has bent me to the ground and brought me to my knees!

I don’t know how to survive this g

I don’t know how to survive this grief💔
...One day at a time. I console myself with this... Lots of people do not have their sons. Many people lose their sons even as children. I do not know what tomorrow holds but Today I have mine and I am thankful. Scared, hurting, but thankful.
Get a therapist to help you with this. I did. I feel like he is my only ally in life and I have noone to talk to who understands. It has been three weeks and I look forward to those times so I can tell someone about my son. This site is awesome too. I have gotten much help here.

Do you have a mental health crises hot line in your county? You could call them and just talk to them about his situation without actually doing anything. They are usually a great resource for information, both for what can be done now for him and in the future.

It seems he could be deemed a danger to himself, which could get him placed in a hospital mental health unit for at least a couple of days, may or may not do any good for him. It's not the police you want to go do a check on him, it would be the mental health crises unit. But they usually bring the police with them these days I think. One thing that strikes me is I'm pretty sure it's not legal to live in a storage unit, so he might get kicked out if the police are involved. One thing the mental health crisis people could do, and have done for my son, is to call him on the phone and talk to him. He then met them somewhere else and went to the hospital with them.

I know you are the only person he has right now, but considering he's already blocked you, for now, I would just try to take action to get him some help and ask anyone that gets involved not to mention your name and why you don't want them to.
Thank you so much, I feel like I'm on the scariest path and unable to navigate it. I do now have a therapist helping me and I am working toward goals to get him help.