My 81-yr-old cousin is here permanently

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This thing with the pain medications and sedatives infuriates me. I can't imagine dealing with the pain from the sort of injuries she's got without adequate pain medications. AND, at her age it is nothing more than elder abuse to let her suffer.

Is there any way you can switch doctors at this late date or is that prevented by nursing home policy?

Sheesh. At her age she deserves to be comfortable. Who cares if she becomes habituated to the medications? And, it's awful to expect her to do PT, get up and walk, all of that, without her being medicated.

Thank goodness that husband had a good pain doctor that medicated him properly and didn't have problems prescribing opiates for him.

TerryJ2

is that prevented by nursing home policy?

Yes. They have another dr who is even more rigid about pain medications. I don't get it.

DammitJanet

Terry, you can have her moved to a different nursing home. It is a pain in the rear but it can be done. Im not condoning a certain religion here but I found out after the fact that should have done more homework and insisted that my mom be sent to the local Methodist home. I had visited it one time but didnt think it was better one way or the other but later found it, it was much much better and it had nothing to do with religion. Though of course they did offer services and some kids from church did visit.