My annual whine......GAF scores for the tweedles.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Yup that time again. psychiatric assessment time for kt & wm. Receive scores on their GAF.

wm is scoring at 41. kt is doing better but still scoring in at 46.

I know the tweedles have impaired/skewed thought processes. I know their diagnosis's make a prognosis iffy at best. Oh yes I know all their issues.

However, I would have thought after all these years of medications, interventions, Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers, PCAs, respite, IEPs, a mental health care team that tops out at 29, the tweedles would have improved more than their original scores of 30 & 35 respectively.

Done - thanks for listening.:imok::sigh:

DDD

Caring hugs coming your way. I can only imagine how disappointing the results must be. Truthfully I am aghast at how the powers to be think they both can make mature decisions. Geez. DDD

seriously

Remember that the GAF is a snap-shot assessment of functioning. It is a measure of how they were that day at that moment in the subjective judgement of the person giving the score.

They almost certainly have periods where their GAF would be much higher. And times when it's lower.

My difficult child 2's GAF on admission last December was 20. His GAF on discharge was 40. According to the usual interpretation of the GAF ranges this is still substantially impaired. But the psychiatrist described him as "well" and able to come home with no problems.

Hmmmmm.

DammitJanet

Actually TL, that is an incredibly great leap for them. My GAF is only in the 40's and I get by. The reason given by the psychiatric profession is that I have a family unit that is there for me so it is entirely possible for at least KT to go on to live a fairly happy (ok, I dont know that I am always happy or normal) or at least live in the normal world. We dont expect for my GAF to ever go over 55 because of my issues. I can live with that.

crazymama30

I hate hate hate hate hate GAF scores. I don't remember what difficult child son's was the last time I saw it. husband's at last psychiatric hospital discharge was 45 or 46. Oh yay, that threw me for a loop for days. I hate numbers, it just seems to make it all so permanent.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
DDD, hard to believe about the money, isn't it?

seriously, I know it's a snapshot of time & place, I really do. I have to look at those GAFs for con't services & possible group home settings for the tweedles upon adulthood. It's the measurement of reality here.

Janet, you're right ~ it is a big leap.

CM, I hate GAF scores as well ~ they get to me because I know it reflects (on average) the tweedles ability to function in the world.

Thanks for letting me whine. Time to move forward.