My boss is doing the unthinkable. Help!

InsaneCdn

Essential oils - lavender is high on the list, some include peppermint and other things. Some you spray on, or roll on your temples. Some are for in a warm bath.

There seems to be some herbals that you can take in pill form, but I'm not as familiar with those. Just watch out for anything containing St John's Wart - it tends to interact with medications.

ksm

I have been going to DBT classes with my DGD. We have been learning about distress tolerance. They suggested making a "tool kit" for home or purse. Everyone had different things that they would use to distress with...mine were essential oils (a calming or stress relief blend, scented lotions, a fidget toy or stress ball to squeeze, fun size candy bars, flavored water packets, favorite teas, soothing music, a roller ball to slide my soles of feet against... You get the idea. My DGD likes adult coloring books and markers, music, gum.

Also, going to the restroom and having getting a cloth wet with cold water to put on the back or your necklace or wrists helps too.

Hope these ideas help... ksm

ksm

CB...this may be silly, or too simple... But why can't you record a message and just hit play when you make these calls? Most schools have automated calling systems... Maybe talk to the tech people at your school? I get individual automated calls from our HS that mentions my child's first name, and that I need to call in to verify and absence. Maybe they could do a Spanish and an English message...

Ksm

Lil

You know, that is an excellent idea! CB maybe you could suggest that to the supervisor or whoever would be in charge of such things!

Californiablonde

Essential oils - lavender is high on the list, some include peppermint and other things. Some you spray on, or roll on your temples. Some are for in a warm bath.

There seems to be some herbals that you can take in pill form, but I'm not as familiar with those. Just watch out for anything containing St John's Wart - it tends to interact with medications.
My fiancé got me some stress relieving bubble bath and bath beads for my birthday. I love it. It smells of eucalyptus and really helps knock down my stress levels. Too bad I can't run home and take a bath every time I am overloaded at work. Do you know where I could possibly buy the spray on or roll on stuff? I would be interested in trying it.

Californiablonde

CB...this may be silly, or too simple... But why can't you record a message and just hit play when you make these calls? Most schools have automated calling systems... Maybe talk to the tech people at your school? I get individual automated calls from our HS that mentions my child's first name, and that I need to call in to verify and absence. Maybe they could do a Spanish and an English message...

Ksm
We already have the automated calls that go out every single day after school. We have had them for years. They are not good enough for my boss. He wants a live person calling. I hate to admit it, but live calling really does help lower our absence rates.

ksm

CB - without starting essential oil wars (between people who use different brands) I have been very happy with Edensgarden.com for my oils. They are reasonably priced and have some nice blends. If you like eucalyptus, they have that. I like a blend they have called stress ease (I think...used to be called calming). I also like Uplift, Head Ease, Sunshine Spice, lavender, orange and a thieves blend, which is basically 4 different oils that is good for lots of things...

They also have free shipping. KSM

susiestar

Roll With It
Walmart started carrying some basic essential oils back around Nov. Our store carries 6 basic ones incl lavender and eucalyptus. Hobby Lobby & Michaels generally carry a few of them, and health food stores incl Sprouts & Whole Foods also carry them. Be SURE to get essential oils and NOT fragrance oils. EOs are strong and all natural, FOs can contain anything pretty much. EOs need to be diluted before applying, but that is easy to do. You can dilute them in any oil you use for cooking to make your own lend. I generally use grapeseed oil, sunflower seed oil or rice bran oil. I do NOT get them in the massage/skin care section but rather in the grocery section. You get fresher and more wholesome quality for a lower price in the grocery section. I am incredibly allergic to a lot of things, esp topical things, and oils from the grocery section have to list ingredients while those in the skin care area do not.

One thing that might help, esp at work, are herbal teas. Caffeine can send anxiety soaring. Celestial Seasonings makes a tea called Tension Tamer that is great for anxiety. I have yet to find anyone who really hates the taste (not even kids incl my daughter's pickiest friend!). Tazo brand makes a tea named 'Calm' that has been VERY highly recommended by friends on an anxiety website, friends on a chronic pain website and by a naturopath that I know. It can taste a bit like health food to me, but I am an uber picky eater. Generally if I don't steep it for very long it doesn't bug me. I keep an altoid size tin filled with tea bags in my purse at all times. I always have my tea with me and it saves tons of $$. I just order hot water and generally am not charged for it, so it saves about $2 or more per drink! The Tazo brand is sold by the cup at Starbucks, but many heallth food stores and other groceries also carry the brand for upward of $2 per box less than Starbucks per box price. I can buy a box for about what the Starbucks here charges for 1-2 cups! Celestial Seasonings is even less expensive.

propranolol most likely will not cause the sensations that xanax, lorezapam etc... iwll create. It keeps your blood pressure from spiking which allows you to learn to control yourself and your anxiety using tools that are generally taught in therapy. It isn't ever going to just stop the panic attack but it will keep your blood pressure from going too high and will help you be ble to identify an imminent anxiety attack while you can still use your tools to help control it. Many docs don't explain this well, but it actually is more helpful in the long run because it helps you learn to control your feelings and reactions, which many medications, esp benzos, don't do.

BusynMember

So that CB doesn't feel badly if she tries these naturals and they don't work, as they did not work for me, I want to remind everyone that she has bipolar and serious mental illness. Drugs don't cure it either, but the right drugs can stabalize. The key, of course, is getting the right mix and not allowing Dr. Feelgood to overmedicate.

I feel that naturals enhance, but can not cure serious mental illness.

That being said, enhancement is good. Don't forget exercise, which is known to help depression. I exercise six days a week and I feel it does help the anxiety a bit. At the very least, I feel fit and that makes me feel good.

Lavender is a very soothing aroma to me. I also like to listen to classical music. No, I never cared for classical before, but I read it was calming and I feel it is and often keep classical light in the background. Hey, even my dogs seem calmer ;)

Copabanana

He wants a live person calling. I hate to admit it, but live calling really does help lower our absence rates.
I forget who it was that said it but the response may be due to intimidation and fear. In California a high percentage of the Latino population is undocumented. Having an Anglo, non Spanish speaker call would be frightening to many people. who fear immigration agents coming to the door.

I am very glad that your boss yielded and will not require you to make all of the calls CB. I feel sure that he is purposely trying to intimidate these people as he is trying to intimidate you. He is a bully, and good that he backed down. Bullies are usually at heart frightened and weak people. Good that he showed his true stripes.

COPA