My dad passed away

Nancy

Dad was two month shy of 96 years old. Last Tuesday he fell in his apartment and broke his hip. The surgery went beautifully the surgeon said and the biggest obstacle was whether he could rehab and walk with a walker. It was very stressful in the hospital, morphine gave him hallucinations. He was very confused and agitated. We got him move to the rehab facility Saturday evening and my sister and I stayed with him until late at night to make sure he was settled. We left and the next morning they dressed him and brought his breakfast and when the went in ten minutes later he was unresponsive.

We have no idea what happened because except for his confusion his physical state was ok. They did an autopsy but at 95 it could be almost anything.

Last edited:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry. May your Dad rest in peace now.
I know the whole board will wrap you and your family up in warmth and care..........
Sending prayers for you and yours..........my thoughts are with you Nancy....

Feeling Sad

I am so very sorry, Nancy. It is so very difficult to lose a parent.

Life is full of wonderful things and some very sad things. At being almost 96, it's sounds like he had a very full life.

My prayers are going out to you and yours. My father passed away in 2010 and I still feel that he is with me...through memories of funny times and things that he taught me.

May your family and loving memories give you strength.

New Leaf

I am so sorry Nancy, prayers for you and your family.

My Dad passed three years ago after a long battle with several consecutive health conditions.
I miss him terribly, but am glad he is no longer suffering.
He lives on in each of our hearts, and many fond memories,
as well as the values he taught us.

Peace and comfort be to you and yours.

lovemysons

Oh Nancy I am so sorry to hear this.
We are never ready to lose a parent...no matter the relationship or situation. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
LMS

nlj

So sorry Nancy.

I experienced exactly the same thing with my grandmother who fell and broke her hip aged 94.

Although it was stressful for her in the hours before her death in the hospital, she was very peaceful at the end and slipped away, and what more can we want for our loved ones at such a great age.

I have many happy memories of my grandmother and hope that this is the same for you and your father.

x

wakeupcall

Death of a loved one is difficult no matter what the age. You will grieve, but soon you will remember all the fun things you did with him and those will make you smile. I'm sorry for your loss. He must have been a great father to you for you to have spent that time with him to get him settled and as comfortable as possible in his rehab location. Carry with you all those good memories.

Origami

So sorry to hear this, Nancy. My parents are both in their 80s, so I know I'll have to deal with this at some point, but I don't think a person could ever be prepared for that loss. Hugs to you.

okie girl

So very sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in 2012. I know how much you are hurting. I am so blessed as I still have my dad. He is 87 and his health is beginning to fail. I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayer. (((Hugs)))

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, Nancy, I am so sorry! I have had a crazy week and just saw this! Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

~Kathy