my daughter is homeless downtown denver, co.

kristieann

My daughter is living on the streets in downtown denver on 16th.street. She is 23 and I dont know where she can go. She left home because of all of the bad influences on her. She is blonde and white. Anyone that can help i would appreciate it.

toughlovin

Hi My son was homeless in Denver in winter of 2012. There are some really good organizations for the homeless in Denver. I am aware of the one for youth and I am not sure what ages they go up to.... my son was 20 at the time he was there. So I have PMd you that organization and their website and my suggestion is that you call them. I know through them my son was able to get some meals, and showers and I was able to send him his ID so he could get some mail from me there.

I know it is really hard to have a child homeless.... I remember those dark days. My son is currently in jail but to me that is better than him being on the streets so I really sympathize.

TL

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi kristieann. TL gave you some really good information. I know how frightened you must be. Do you still have any contact with her?

If so, can you research homeless shelters in the Denver area and have those addresses and numbers ready for her?

Keep posting and let us know how things are going.

{{{Hugs}}}

~Kathy

BusynMember

Kris, our kids have an amazing knack of making street friends who look out for one another.

I live in a small town area and we even have shelters and help here...it is just not well known where they are, butyou can probably call social services to get the info and then, if you hear from Daughter, you can tell her. Don't be surprised if she already knows or doesn't want to use the services because to do so you must be clean and sober, at least while you are eating or sleeping there. I worked at a homeless shelter as a volunteer so I have a slight idea of how they work, although they are all different. We even packed lunches for the clients, as we called them, when they had to leave in the morning and we made job appointments and social work appointments, but most of the time the clients did not show up.

There is a lot out there for her if she is willing to take the time to get the services. And I am always shocked at how well our sheltered kids do when they are homeless. Most of the time, the other homeless are welcoming and willing to help. Sounds crazy, but so many of our kids choose this lifestyle.

Childofmine

one day at a time
KA, welcome. I understand how very hard it is to even think about your daughter on the streets. My son has been homeless five times and he is homeless in our town right now.

Please know there are so many services out there for homeless people. I recently posted that I believe maybe there are TOO many services, and so they are able to "stay homeless" instead of being more motivated to change that state.

In our town there are day shelters that do not drug test you to use their services. The night shelters do. At the day shelters, they can eat breakfast and lunch, take a shower, wash clothes, use the computer, get job counseling, meet with a social worker, get clothes to wear, get free bus passes, etc. A mobile health van from the local hospital goes there and provides health services. They can even get free vouchers for free eye exams and glasses.

At the night shelter they can eat dinner, take a shower, watch TV and have a bed to sleep in. They drug test them every time they walk out the door and back in, even if it's to smoke a cigarette.

Also, most people on the street have food stamps, so they can even buy more food to eat. Food usually isn't a problem.

And in the summer, the weather is obviously warmer, so you don't have to worry about that. My son was homeless over Christmas---from Dec. 20 through January 9---it was very cold this year as you know, and he did fine. Well, you know what i mean when I say fine.

I have heard many moms say that having daughters on the street is worse, and I understand that.

Our kids are amazingly resilient. If your daughter is taking drugs, it is inevitable that she is going to end up without friends, family, resources, as the addiction progresses. Often this also happens with untreated mental illness---when the person won't help themselves.

That is a chance for them to change---when everybody stops protecting them from the natural consequences of their actions.

It is impossible to have a real relationship and mutual trust and respect with an active addict.

Warm hugs for you. I hope you will continue to read this site and learn about how to cope with your daughter. Please share with us. We care and we get it.

kristieann

Hello. I just want to let you know that my daughter is still homeless living by the 16th st. mall downtown denver. She has told me she is addicted to heroin and i really dont know what i can do

BusynMember

Until she wants help, there is nothing you can do. She won't listen to you. If she wants to go into rehab, you can tell her where one is, but if she doesn't really want to stop, she won't. I'm sooooooooooo sorry you found this out about your precious daughter. I suggest an Al-Anon or Narc-Anon meeting for YOU so that you can cope better with this and have face time support from others who totally understand. Hugs for you, for your hurt and pain. Please do go to a meeting. You can drive yourself nuts trying to do this journey on your own. There should be a meeting soon...and close to you.

Kathy813

Staff member
I am so sorry but MWM is correct that there is nothing that you can do. I would just tell her that you will be willing to help with finding her a rehab if she decides that this isn't the life that she wants to live anymore.

In the meantime, you need to find a support group or a therapist to help you with coping with having a loved one with substance abuse issues.

{{{Hugs}}}

~Kathy

Childofmine

one day at a time
Kristie Ann, how are YOU? I know this is so very hard to live with. My son is homeless right now as well.

We have to focus on ourselves and do all we can to let them go.

Please let us know how you are dealing with this. We are here for you.