My daughter stole over $164K

Alice2021

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am stunned to see how many people have had problems with their adult children stealing from them. I do hope things are going better for you by now. Last year my husband and I discovered that our adult daughter had assumed our identities and stolen our entire life savings of over $300,000. She was able to produce fraudulent documents of bank statements and other letters and emails that were so realistic that even the banks themselves could not tell they were false. We confronted her with the evidence we had at the time and of course she said we were demented. We gave her a month to come forward but finally had to report the theft to the police. In addition to the money she stole, she left us with credit card debt of around $60,000 and $64,000 arrearages to our mortgage company. We were forced to file bankruptcy in order to save our home. It has been over a year since we have seen her and the police, while very diligent in their investigation, are taking a very long time. They say it is the biggest case they have had of this nature. This past year has been devastating needless to say. She is absolutely not addicted to drugs or alcohol since we were able to track most of the stolen money back to purchases like $1500.00 purses, $1000 dollar hair appointments and thousands of dollars in plane tickets. To make matters worse, she is married to a cop. She also has two young children that we are not able to see. We know that the worst is yet to come but feel we have no choice but to see this thing through. She and I were always very close and I still cannot believe I did not see what she was doing.
As a mother of an addict, I also have been stolen from. My daughter stole over $164K from me. She pretended to be a kidney patient and extorted thousands of dollars from me for 'medicines'. She had her friends pose as a nurse, another as an attorney, another as a doctor. I don't have all the players in this con; but I'm afraid I'm also headed to bankruptcy. I snuck onto her phone and saw the 8 grams of Fentanyl she buys almost every day. She even made her way into my home. She is 23 years old. I'm just sick to my stomach because I believed she was sick. I believed I was helping her buy her Procrit, Belforo, etc. I'm can't believe my own flesh and blood would do something so evil to her own mother. I want to blame the drugs, but I also have to take into account that her character is bad. I now recognize her as a thief. She belongs in jail. I enabled her, I got her lawyers and paid her bail when she needed help. Now, I want to support the person but I will no longer be supporting the addiction. Like yourself, she and I also were very close; I believed she loved me. I'm at my wits end; but I wanted to take a moment to tell you that you are not alone. It will not end unless you prosecute.

ksm

Alice2021, I can't imagine the pain this has caused. Maybe a moderator can move this to a new thread. I hope you can find some justice. Ksm

Copabanana

Dear Alice

You need your own new thread. This one is very old.

I want to tell you how sad I am for you that this has happened. Like Ksm says, I too can't imagine the pain and the anger I would feel. And fear.

Drug addiction causes distortions in character and personality. Personalities that are only at the service of obtaining drugs, and the crimes that lead from this, become stunted and distorted. As you know there is no way to be safe around somebody who is an addict, because the drugs have them taken over.

Please keep posting. It helps. Welcome.