My daughter was in a car wreck....

AppleCori

She just called me, asking what to do.

She seems physically OK, but slightly shaken.

She is on a major highway in a major city (million plus people) and was hit by a runaway trailer. The owner left, saying that he needed to go get his insurance...

We shall see if he returns.

So she is blocking traffic with a disabled car and a dislocated trailer and she called me.

I told her to call 911, then insurance.

I am shaken, too.

No matter how old they get, it doesn't get much easier.

InsaneCdn

What a shake-up. Glad that she is just shaken. Once the adrenalin drops off, she may find she has some soft tissue damage - so she shouldn't sign off on "no injuries" yet.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I'm glad she's okay. That is scary!!
I do hope the driver of the trailer returns but if not they should be able to track him down, that is if the trailer has tags on it.

Once the adrenalin drops off, she may find she has some soft tissue damage - so she shouldn't sign off on "no injuries" yet.
Good advice here!

AppleCori

Isn't it funny that I was the first person she called?

I mean it's not like she has never been in a wreck before. She has lived in that city for about 11 years, and I think she and her sister have been in five wrecks (none their fault). It is a big city with a lot of uninsured, unlicensed, (and apparently a lot of very bad) drivers.

And she calls me first every time.

I remember where I was for every call.

Except for the first one, I have been out of the state every time.

I feel kinda guilty about that.

I moved away while they were in college, and even when they were in college, I traveled a lot for work.

Anyway, I am just babbling.

I need to get my stuff done while my youngest is in her once-per-week, four hour classes, but I am not.

Scent of Cedar *

And she calls me first every time.

I remember where I was for every call.

Except for the first one, I have been out of the state every time.

I feel kinda guilty about that.

I moved away while they were in college, and even when they were in college, I traveled a lot for work.

Anyway, I am just babbling.

You are not babbling, AppleCori. You are processing the trauma of all the bad things that might have happened to your child and did not. Part of being the mom is that we feel we should be able to know exactly the right answers. We feel we should be able to soothe our children, and to keep them safe, and to make sense of things. No matter how old they are, we somehow feel that if only we had been there, the bad thing may not have happened. We run over every detail in our minds so that we are prepared, or so that we are better prepared, for the next time.

For how to keep them safe.

There is a part of a mother's heart, however old our children are, that believes we must protect, advise, and prevent harm to our children. I believe this is part of what does us in when the kids are walking the self-destructive paths so many of our D C children are walking. And they will not listen and we cannot help and yet, when they are broken or hurt, they need us to hear all of it.

They need us to know what has happened to them.

And it tears us up inside. But we listen. We do the best we know, given what we know, to help and protect and make sense with them of whatever it is.

Your child loves and feels safe with you. She was frightened, and needed her mother's voice, and to hear that she is special and is cherished and you did that.

You handle it really well every time, Apple Cori, or the kids would not need to hear your voice when something awful happens.

Lately, I think just knowing that we hear them is helpful enough. I think it is less what we say than that we are their mothers and we care and we listen and we are so glad they came through it.

Sometimes, for our children, that is enough armor to go into the world stronger. I really do believe this is true. It seems to me sometimes that the kids never lose that child's belief that if mom or dad know what's happened, then everything will somehow turn out okay.

I am very happy that your child is safe. It must have been really scary for her.

And for you.

When will you see her in person again?

Cedar

New Leaf

Oh Apple what a shock to the system. These are phone calls that stay with us, and you are so right, no matter how old they are or what the circumstance it does not get easier. If only we could be there to comfort them. But you are there Apple, you are in her heart.
I am glad she is okay, but do agree she might want to get checked out, just to be on the safe side.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

AppleCori

Geez...

Another hit-and-run!

This is the third one (though the first by a runaway trailer)!

Now I know why my car insurance went down by 60% when I left that state!

New Leaf

Oh no, that is just terrible. I do not know how somebody could do such a thing, and it is the THIRD one! Ouch, I am sorry this happened to your daughter. Accidents are one thing, but to just leave like that, leave someone in such a state. I don't know how anyone could live with themselves.
Is your daughter okay Apple? I hope so.
(((HUGS)))
leafy