My dog is terrified

of the bombs going off. We have these yay-hoos around here who get ahold of these enormous concussion bombs. For the last two weeks of June until a few days past the 4th of July, they shoot them off, reaching a crescendo on the 4th (today).

I don't begrudge them their fun - I like explosions and fireworks as much as the next guy - but some of these belong on a restricted artillery range, not in a residential neighborhood with children and dogs around.

Our dog will not go outside unless he is physically carried. When they go off he cringes and slinks under something, and he trembles and shakes for a long time afterwards. He spends most of the day in the basement, but they're even loud down there.

Fireworks are illegal here but the cops are pretty helpless 'cause they shoot and run, and there are so many. If they catch them it is pretty much random luck.

What we need is a neighborhood patrol. If we had enough people out strolling around with cell phones, to snap pictures and call the police, we could put a stop to this.

Maybe I'll try to organize it for next year.

F

flutterbee

My dog would probably have a heart attack. Not kidding. She's extremely anxious anyway and this time of year is hard on her. People have been shooting things off here and there and right now if she's outside and she hears even the smallest pop, she about kills herself trying to get back in the house.

I always hate when people shoot those things off. Most of the time there is alcohol involved and you just know someone is going to blow a hand off. Plus, they're not too careful with where they are shooting them and they land on other people's roofs or in the yards and they're running over with a bucket of water to put it out. I was watching the teenage kids across the street - with NO parent supervision - do that just a couple hours ago.

It won't stop after today, either. They usually go on for at least a couple more weeks.

Poor doggies! I always feel bad for them this time of year. Cats seem to be able to take it in stride.

Last night these chooches were setting them off past 1AM.

klmno

I've read that there is a version of prozac that can be prescribed for dogs by the vet. Although, given what prozac has done to some of our difficult child's (including mine), I would be afraid to try it.

We haven't had fireworks in our neighborhood today, but we had some last night and will have more tonight. My dogs don't like them either- or thunderstorms.

klmno

Thanks, Witz! I saved that link. I used to give baby aspirin to mine, then the vet said not to use that kind (we used it on our family pets growing up and it was never a problem. So- naive question here- what would "buffered" aspirin mean? Do they just mean a regular, adult pill (not capsule)?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My sweet Molly freaks over thunderstorms and fireworks. Thank goodness for valium.

Ask your vet. They can be helped.

Suz

nvts

If you have a little time on your hands, drive around with a video camera and turn the tape into the police. A guy a few towns over did this and they tracked down a few of the better known "clowns" and busted them.

I'm sorry for your dog, mine won't go out unless carried (she's 85 pounds last vet visit!) which makes it a lot of fun!

Beth

witzend

My sweet Molly freaks over thunderstorms and fireworks. Thank goodness for valium.

Ask your vet. They can be helped.

Suz

klmno said:
How much should I take?

LOL! :rofl:

Buffered aspirin is easier on the stomach. Bufferin is the one we all know, but if you look on the shelf next to the bufferin you will find the generic buffered aspirin. It will probably say "Compare to Bufferin" on the label. Be sure to not get the coated type, as it doesn't break down in their tummies properly.

susiestar

Roll With It
Poor doggie! Our Freckles HATED this time of year. Of course, she is the cat who spent a year under a bed - I wouldn't spend the $400 a MONTH the vet wanted for the prozac. I did give her benadryl though.

Gracie is going to get some benadryl if I can get my hands on her in a couple of hours. Capn Morgan isn't bothered by anything but an empty food bowl. Heck, he gets upset if the kids have popcorn and the bowl goes empty!!!

I hope your doggie does OK, I would try to give him benadryl or something, cause it totally hoovers to be that anxious.

hugs,

susie

donna723

I've got the Childrens liquid Benadryl and will give it to my dogs if they get too upset. I got it for Ragans allergies - the vet said to give her about 2 cc's in the little squirter thing. She weighs about 22 pounds, but I'm guessing you'd adjust the dosage for one that's smaller or larger.

We've been lucky so far that the local idiots haven't been shooting fireworks off all week like they usually do around here. It doesn't bother the Bostons too much, but my little mixed breed, Freebie, will be a nervous wreck by the time it's all over. She was a stray and I'm guessing that she was shot at before. She hates loud noises and is terrified of thunder storms and fireworks. When the fireworks start, she jams herself in as close to me as she can get and sits there trembling till it's all over.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We came home from a fireworks presentation tonight and my oldest was a mess from some neighbors having a party - the loud band, the fireworks, thunder, everything. Poor babies don't know what's going on!

Thanks for the tips. wife gave him a little Benadryl yesterday. It does help somewhat. Thanks for the link, witz, good info! And klmno - that was a classic.:laughing: