My Ear Hurts...any suggestions?

DDD

I haven't had a problem with my ears in over fifty years and have no idea why I am having periodic "kinda stabbing" pain. Maybe once an hour it grabs me. I spontaneously grab my ear and then it normalizes again.

So what do you guys suggest? I have cleaned my ears with a Qtip with a little alcohol on the end. Although I nursed kids with ear problems I have no idea what OTC medications or home remedies to try for me.

I'm all ears!!!!! ;) DDD

TerryJ2

That happens to me, too. I have sinus issues to that may be it. Maybe a nice hot herbal pack?
And some sinus medications?
If you find a magical cure, let me know!
I hate it when I catches me off guard and I jump.

susiestar

Roll With It
Have you tried putting a little peroxide in your ear? I lay on my side and pour a few drops of peroxide in. Then let it bubble and fizz until it quiets down. You will need to work your jaw to get it all the way in.

It will help if there is any infection, clean out irritation and even help clear your Eustachian tube. I do this for earaches, sore throats, and even sinus issues. All of that is interconnected in there. My ear nose throat doctor says it is a good "home remedy" to start with.

You may have an infection. If it isn't better in a day or so, or gets so bad it interferes with your life then see the doctor. Be sure to ask him for eardrops for the pain. i think the brand name is auralgan. It is a benzocaine or some other "caine" medicine that numbs the area it touches. You warm it in hot water and then put a couple of drops in and then cotton. It is VERY soothing unless you are allergic to benzocaine.

I am sorry you hurt.

flutterby

Fly away!
If it gets any worse, see a doctor. An infection can get bad quickly and then you're talking serious pain.

And let's not forget - Janet's meningitis started with an ear infection. Of course, meningitis isn't common, but don't let it go too long. It always scares me with infections so close to the brain. :sick:

DDD

Thanks. I'll pick up some hydrogen peroxide on the way home and bubble a bit. Maybe that will eliminate the instinct to "jump and grab" that really doesn't get ignored by those nearby. :redface: I'm hoping (and expecting) that this is just one of those weirdo things that happen for a day or two in life. Fingers crossed. Maybe I'll pop a Benadryl tonight since I have had a really slight case of the sniffles. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Be SURE to take a decongestant and some mucinex with that benadryl!! If you just take benadryl the mucus will thicken and get very sticky and adhere to your sinuses. It can really kick an infection into high gear.

the mucinex will make the mucus unable to stick and the decongestant (like sudafed) will make the mucus thinner. Benadryl will make the body produce less of it and dry the surfaces out. But if you just dry them the mucus can stick better. So be sure to use a combination/

And drink LOTS of water. Push for 1 gallon a day of non-caffeinated liquid. I had clogged sinuses and lots of ear problems in jr high. They wanted to do surgery but it didn't seem smart. The doctor said that when he was a missionary in another country they would first have patients drink as close to 1 gallon of water a day. That was actually a prescription because water was scarce where he was.

After about 2 weeks of drinking I felt MUCH better. And now with any congestion I kick up the water consumption. It really helps.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I've told my Mom for years - (has same problem)

Sweet oil.

She resisted.
The pain got worse.
One night she calls, asks what it was I suggested. (I'm not the doctor in our family)
I was floored, but glady said "SWEET OIL"
She went, she got, she dabbed
SHE OUTTA PAIN.

Can't tell you why it works - but get this. She went to her doctor 3 days later for sinus problems and asked what to put in the ear for the stabbing pain? He checked for infection - (none) and then said "Sweet oil"

SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEET.......finally. lol