My easy child is about to become a difficult child (long vent)

Abbey

Spork Queen
All around, he is a pretty good kid. BUT, and this is a BIG but, he is not dealing with reality. He is almost 19. He has known for nearly 2 years that we are moving...in 3 days.:highvoltage:

We have counseled him on every aspect of life. For example: Do you know you will not have a car to drive in 3 days? You have made no attempt to find a place to live? You wear $70 T-shirts and $100+ shoes (many pairs), spend endless money on the current obsessive girlfriend, yet you have no money to move out and go to college. (You don't know how anti-establishment this is to husband and I.)

To his credit, he does work a lot, but blows all his money. He wanted us to cosign for a loan for a car. Yeah...I don't exactly think we'd be an asset at this point.

husband took him shopping for cars yesterday at the REALLY low-rent places. It was a good reality check for him.

In addition, he wants to live by girlfriend nearly 40 minutes from the campus. Ummm...how are you going to get to classes??? He won't do dorm even though it's basically free, won't room with someone down there where he can bike to work...he's ended up being a spoiled brat. Those hard experiences are what make friends and make you stronger.

I woke him up at 8am this morning and he was totally PO'd. He never says anything...just sulks. Heck, I was up at 4am PACKING and CLEANING, then went to work for 7 hours.

I told him that my daughter, who is a senior in college, called me last night as she made a casserole. There was a problem. When she took it out of the oven she couldn't find the ONE large spoon she had in her college house. Well, she digs around and finds that she accidently left the spoon IN the casserole while it baked. Can I eat this? Of course! She was just happy that she had food and her spoon.

The point of the story is that these are life experiences. You live with a lot less and hopefully learn a lot more along the way. She only has ONE spoon, but is happy and has made many great friends along the way. easy child is not getting that.

He had one chore yesterday as I knew it was a long day for him. Take out the trash. This is not a time where we can have huge amounts of trash around. He strolled in about midnight and I reminded him. Did it happen? Nope. I'm running out to the street with 3 cans of trash and many trashed boxes at 5am in my jammies when I hear them coming around. I knock loudly on his door, "JARED, JARED...HELP ME WITH THE TRASH!!! RIGHT NOW!!!" I hear an 'ummmm.' Never came out.

Well, the gravy train is over in 3 days. Cell phone is off, no car, no insurance, no Mike living at my house, no texting, no computer, no living in this house. Done. Last out of the nest.

Ok. I'm done venting. (I'm trying to find my corner now.):badmood:

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

(((hugs)))

easy child is about to get the wake up call of his life. And it will be a GOOD experience for him, even if he doesn't agree at the time. (and he won't)

Oh, and I LOVED the cooking story with easy child!!! That girl is making memories she will enjoy for a lifetime. Too cute about the spoon. :rofl:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Loved the spoon story!!! Yep, reality will slap your son in the face soon enough! Let the chips fall......(appropriate for Las Vegas area).......just try to hold yourself together and he will soon learn where his money ought to go........this will be over in three days???? Good luck with the move.....did I mention I HATE moving????? But don't want to rub that in......

Wiped Out

Staff member
Great spoon story. I agree your son is in for a rude awakening. I can totally sympathize with you over the trash story. It's my easy child's job and you would think by now she would get it done in a timely manner. It drives me crazy as she tries each week to get out of it.

Good luck with the move. I noticed on the mosquito thread you mentioned you hadn't seen one in years-sorry to say that will be over soon, we have lots of them here in Wisconsin.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah...I had a good chuckle about the spoon. She had me ask husband (Mr. Physics guy) if it was ok to eat the casserole. It was THAT important to her. Heck...it's her FOOD!! He said it was fine as long as she didn't microwave it.

She's a well rounded girl. I'm so proud of her and the choices she has made. (I won't go back to the beer pong story.)

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Even the best of them have their skeletons....

Sounds like Jared will get a reality check shortly. From here looking there (and let me tell ya, its a ways to be seeing clearly), my bet is he'll be fine. Sometimes mama birds have to shove their babies out of the nest to convince them they can fly. Oh sure, a few topple to the ground, where it becomes a little harder to get airborn, but most spread their wings and fly.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Oh Abbey :2speechless: I can see why you are in the predicament you are in your mind with so much going on and so much to think about. Each thing with it's own level of animosity.

Hopefullly it will all turn out alright. You know your child best. Hard to believe it's this close and he still hadn't put a thought into it.

The spoon story sounds just like something Ms Queen will be calling me with in the future! lol

I can hear just how frustrated you are with easy child. Trust me, he'll start putting 2 + 2 together, very soon.

Loved the spoon story. My easy child calls constantly with similiar questions. Last night it was , "This plate says it's oven safe - can I put it in my rice steamer?"

Where do these questions come from? And how did we become the experts on all subjects? LOL

DDD

I'm curious, as always, is the girlfriend the same one that was so obsessed with him???

Maybe he anticipates that she will pick up the slack? DDD