My embarrassing confession

Sara PA

I am a sucker for those competition TV shows.

It started years ago, late one night as I was channel surfing. Something on a Project Runway episode caught my eye. You have to understand that I am more a What Not To Wear type than Project Runway. But the next week, there I was, alone and searching for when Project Runway was on.

That was quickly followed by a Top Chef addiction.

Over the past few weeks I have succumbed to America's Next Top Model.

And last night I spent way too much time watching Animal Planet's Groomer Has It.

And during these long holiday weekends, they run marathons of these programs.

I can't look away.....

Lothlorien

I used to watch Top Model and I love Project Runway, but I've been too busy and I've been listening to books on tape. I do like those shows though.

I was embarassed to tell anyone that I watched the Bachelor when it first came on, too. I don't watch it anymore though.

KateM

My teenage daughter and I watch ANTM evry Wed night -- and sometimes, the MTV marathons of it. It is a guilty pleasure we both share! But I wouldn't admit it to many people - but we're all friends here, right? I'm sure you won't think any less of me!

meowbunny

I love Project Runway, Top Chef. Oh, heck, I love all the "reality" competition shows on Bravo. Worse yet, I don't watch them just once, I plunk myself down when there's a marathon and watch the entire season again and again.

Sorry, ladies, but they beat Survivor.

Sara PA

There are certain benefits to having a TV in just about every room and no one watching them but me. I put all the TVs on the same channel and go about my business, never missing a second.

Sheesh, that's two embarrassing confessions in one day.

SRL

My embarrassing confession is that for the last 7 weeks of American Idol I've been watching reruns of David Cook's performances on youtube. And to frost the cake I've been googling all of his interviews since he won.

Apparently I'm not alone:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24782698/

I can watch Food Network pretty much all day. I love Alton Brown. Tyler Florence can cook for me anytime. Have to change the channel when Rachel Ray comes on though. Yummo.

I've been a KISS fan since I was 7. I dressed up as Ace Frehley for Halloween in 6th grade, and won a costume contest.

And Toby Keith is my boyfriend.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have to have HGTV on in order to iron clothes.

And... I'm... addicted... to... this... website.

THERE. I SAID IT.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sorry...it's Animal Channel for me. If I take the luxury of sitting down and watching TV, that is what I always turn on. It drives husband nuts. He's a CNN guy. I can't stand watching or listening to the same stories over and over again.

I'm also not a channel-flicker. For one, you can never find the remote so I just sit on one channel. But, to sit there and flick through a hundred channels makes my skin crawl. JUST PICK ONE!!!!

Abbey

Sara PA

Then you watch Groomer Has It too, eh Abbey?

I'm totally hooked and I know less about dog grooming than I do about modeling.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Then you watch Groomer Has It too, eh Abbey?

I'm totally hooked and I know less about dog grooming than I do about modeling.

I've watched it. You can't imagine such drama about grooming a dog. Also, the contestants they have on there look like they just came out of the trailer park. (Visual here...I love trailer parks.) Sorry...don't mean to be insensitive but they look a little sketchy.

Abbey

Sara PA

I've watched it. You can't imagine such drama about grooming a dog. Also, the contestants they have on there look like they just came out of the trailer park. (Visual here...I love trailer parks.) Sorry...don't mean to be insensitive but they look a little sketchy.

Abbey
My thoughts too. But I'm hooked. And Saturday they're going to have a pet psychic talk to the dogs about the groomers. What more can you ask for??? LOL

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ummm...I'm actually a trained dog groomer, went to school, apprenticed, all of it (had to quit due to injuring a shoulder and my back--can't pick up big dogs).

Well...all I can say about the dog groomers you are likely seeing on that show is that a lot of them probably did come from that sort of ummm..."background".

That said. I wore scrubs and an apron and (comfortable!) flat shoes while grooming. Dog show and competition groomers are expected to dress for the occasion.

In addition, *I* happen to live in a very nice, well maintained TRAILER PARK!

LoL...and while I may be more than a bit eccentric (think "butch" aspie here), I hardly am the big hair.

Sigh...I wish I could still groom. I could make a living up here in Dinkwater, WI doing housecalls, especially as I can both "pet" and show groom cats of all breeds (especially longhairs--I raised and showed Maine Coon Cats for over a decade), AND I can do the various fancy clips and shaves people want for summer or just ease on longhairs.

Plus, having dealt with the (sometimes) gentle giants of the domestic cat world, it is hardly likely I'm going to have to handle anything more intimidating than 23 lbs of sexually mature, unaltered Maine Coon, who only has his mind on one thing, and that ISN'T a bath (dammit!)

I still have my full kit and supplies

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha! I'm watching it right now. They're grooming fake dogs.

I'm sure it's an art, and something a dog lover loves to do. Me? I'd just shave them clean. That's MY art. :)

Abbey

'Chelle

WOOHOO somewhere I can actually admit I love to watch America's Next Top Model and Top Chef - and then all other like it that if I watch one episode I have to watch the rest of the season just to see who wins.

I had a Bichon Frise for 14 years (was my baby) and his first hair cut the groomer I took him to massacred his cut. The hair on his back was so short you couldn't pinch it between your fingers and on (part of) the legs was still over an inch long. The top of his head the hair was over 1/2" shorter on one side than the other (the head is only about the width of your hand across). Not to mention the clipper burn around his tender bits. When I told her the haircut was all wrong, she told me there was nothing wrong with it, I had no idea what I was talking about. Found a good groomer, but then found some some good clippers cheap and to save money did it myself for years. Even my first try was better than the first groomer I went to. There is a skill to it, just like cutting hair for people.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, the "breed" clip for the Bichon is very complex as it is mostly done by scissoring and requires that brushing and drying be done a special way to have the hair standing right out from the body so it can be scissored.

Bichons are so technical to trim that they are usually one of a the four breed trims a groomer must present to graduate school/apprenticeship.

Most pet Bichon's are kept in a "puppy" clip of some sort, which is done with the clippers and scissors.

Clipper "burn" isn't usually burning (and any groomer worth his or her salt will have duplicate blade sets for the commonly used blades so they can be swapped out when they get warm). It's more like unto the skin rash some women get from shaving their "whatevers"

Dunno about waxing. I gave up on shaving my whatevers (I don't have a lot of whatever to shave--little to no hair) and I've never waxed anything other than a car, so no help there.

You can have the best groomer out there and occasionally they will "burn" a dog. Just like we all cut a cat at least once (scary as cat skin is very loosely attached and will open right up like a zipper if cut "along the grain".)