My embarrassing confession

Sara PA

OMG! I've been watching Groomer Has It all weekend and I finally heard them right (I have mentioned my auditory processing problem before, IIRC) . Their short challenges are called Quick Snip Challenges, not Quick Sniff.

I thought that was a rather rude name for the segment.......

Christy

Is it any wonder after the days we have that we use mindless tv to unwind? I love the food network and HGTV. House Hunters, Sell this House, Flip this House, anything that lets you snoop into other people's homes.

Christy

Okay. You've all sold me. I am doing a tivo search for this groomer has it show. Now that the primetime shows are finished, I need to stock my tivo with some new material.

ScentofCedar

Heh.

Got everyone beat.

When I was at my daughter's I somehow got started on that horrible Rock of Love or Tower of Love or whatever it is ~ the one with the man who wears the clock around his neck all the time?

And there were all these women there, trying to be the one he chose.

It was like this horrifying, fascinating THING.

And I just kept tuning it to that channel EVEN AFTER I GOT HOME AGAIN.

You believe it?!?

That was my most embarrassing confession.

I couldn't even believe I was watching it, myself.

I love Food Channel and HGTV, too. Ina Garten, Paula whatever (who seems to be on everywhere, now).

And The Dog Whisperer.

And Oprah.

And even...Dr. Phil.

Arghhhh!

Barbara

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
LOVE Project Runway!! easy child 1 turned me on to it when I lived by her. And the Food Network. And the Groomer show. I love mindless TV!!!

And...another one searching around for all things David Cook!!!! LOL!! LOVE him!!!!

Going North, any chance you could talk me through a puppy clip on my Shih Tzu? I need her to have "clean feet" as we live on a 5 acre horse ranch with lots of...well...dirt and horse stuff on the ground. She was clipped super short when I got her a few months ago and now is in the need of just a little touch up. Would love to learn the basics, any suggestions of a good video or book??

Thanks and great topic here!!

Hugs,
Vickie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm stuck on BBC America's How Clean is Your House?, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares & Absolutely Fabulous.

I also watch way too much History Int'l; I know way too much about the Gestapo & Hitler's minions.

On Friday's I watch What Not To Wear. Go ahead - nominate me. I'll agree that I look like a hag, I'll gladly dump my wardrobe & go to NYC to have a makeover.

It's amazing how lost you can get into these programs.

Sara, it's not embarrassing at all - it's in my humble opinion survival.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Vicki, I have a book that shows all the patterns for the breed trims, but doesn't show the "generic" trims also used, like the "puppy clips'.

Basically, the body (including underside) is done with a number four or five blade, starting at the back of the skull. Do the legs as well and the very base of the tail.

Once that is done, you would comb the hair on the ears down straight and trim so that it lies even with the edge of the ears.

With the tail you hold it out straight, comb it out, and scissor the hair to desired length. For the paws you comb the hair out around them and scissor it closely (I use a curved scissors for this, makes it much easier.) Comb the hair between the toes up and between the toes and scissor that away.

For the underside of the paws you want a 10 blade on the clippers. Spread the toes away from the main pad and clip out the hair there with the clippers (be careful not to nick the dog, it's close in there)

The head and face are the hard parts. You want to first part the hair side to side on the top of the head, scissor away the front of the hair where it hangs in the eyes so you have sort of a curved "visor".

Comb all the hair left behind back and part it down the middle. Using the ten blade with a 4 comb on it, clip each side to blend with the hair over the ears and the neck.

For the rest of the face I like to leave a moustache on a puppy clip. You use the five blade to trim a gap from the visor down to where you want the moustache to start (I use the corner of the lips).

Now, part the hair on the muzzle down the middle, and trim it away (use short scissors with blunted tips) from the lips and bottom of the nose.

I also do a "sanitary" clip on dogs, which involves cleaning up around the penis in male dogs (be sure to use a scissors to trim the long hairs away from the end of the penis sheath) and running a shaved path up to the anus on both genders.

On both genders use the blunt scissors to trim any long hairs that waste might stick to.

You will need:
Oster or Andis clippers (not cheap human hair trimmers)
5 blade
10 blade
4 comb
Cool=lube spray (used while working to cool clipper blades and clean them.
Soak type blade cleaner (used after work. Blades can be left in a container with this)
A good straight and a good curved scissors
Good blunt tipped short scissors

(finger rings for scissors)

fine and wide toothed "greyhound" combs

Good nail clippers

Quik-stop in case you nick the dog or cut a claw too close.

As you can see; it isn't as easy as it looks (at least not until you do it a few times), and it still requires a substantial outlay in equipment.

On the bright side, if you have horses, the clippers with a broad "cow" head on them can be used on fetlocks and bridle paths (to do body clipping on horses you need an Oster or Andis livestock clippers--dog clippers are not up to dealing with large amts of horse hair)

Always remember, it's HAIR!! It DOES grow out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Regarding Malemutes.

No. It is a really bad idea to clip one. Believe it or not, that heavy coat and undercoat actually insulate the dog in the summer, too (keeps them cooler).

Plus, clipped down Mals tend to get skin rashes/infections. They do best with daily brushing with a rake to get out dead coat and excess undercoat, a shady place to get out of the sun, and of course, plenty of cool water to drink.

If the shedding is really making you insane; take the dog to a groomer, have it bathed, and ask them to use a force dryer on the dog. It will blow all the dead hair out of the coat

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Thanks Going North! I am printing that out. Thinking it sounds wayyyy too hard for me but maybe I will get up the nerve someday. Going to be looking for a good groomer in my area this week!! Thanks so much!!

Hugs,
Vickie