My first bird update of the year......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I woke this morning to dozens of birds in my backyard. Many juvenile cardinals & goldfinches. Black capped chickadees, downy woodpeckers, one Cedar Waxwing, & it seemed like countless sparrows. There were humming birds dancing from one hosta to the next - filling up for their flight south. The robins appear to have left the scene already.

Of course, my squirrel friends were in on it. My cat Sam just sat on my deck watching all the activity ~ he had no clue what to do.

It's a beautiful sight to me again. I'm beginning to see color & hear music.

I'm using color in my artwork & playing my piano more than ever. It felt good to add color to my sketches & I've worked out my next painting; thumbnails, colors & such. I'm just finishing a major drawing before I move onto this painting.

It feels good to see & hear color, nature - to appreciate the same.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ah, Linda...birds can bring such pleasure. (Not the 3 screaming ones in my house right now.)

When I was in Madison, I'd force myself to sit on the back stoop and watch the tons of cardinals, hawks and finches that visited the feeding/bathing areas I set up. I'd just sit on that swing and watch. After a few weeks, they didn't fly away when I walked out.

I'm glad you're enjoying that.

Abbey

witzend

Linda ~ I'm glad that you are watching the world around you. It's beautiful, isn't it? I was watching a Downy Woodpecker this morning too! We have Anna's Hummingbirds all year. I keep a feeder suction cupped to my picture window so I see them every day. No matter how bad my day is, I never fail to look and enjoy them. The Anna's fight the Rufous' most of the summer to feed. My yard is a sea of red flowers to keep them coming. There are lots of American Goldfinches and Warblers, Gilded Flickers, Sparrows and Twohees. And of course, sparrows. Such a plain bird, but I like their song. We have our share of Blue Jays - the big bullies - and Starlings - bigger bullies. But mostly there's song birds. IT's a nice time of year. A storm blew all weekend and it feels like late October, but it will be nicer this week. Just in time to do the yard work by myself.

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I suspect we will have an increase of migrators heading through soon.
Things have been getting louder around here.
Right now in the mornings the Gila Woodpeckers and the Cactus Wrens have been hanging around our kitchen doors and windows... loud and causing trouble.
But still fun to watch.
We always have about 5 species of hummingbirds hanging around throughout the year.
The Rufous are fun to watch.

I am glad you are having this pleasure. It is one of the joys in life that seems to take the mind away from pain and crisis.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
witz, I'm so enjoying the variety, the number of juveniles from the last nesting of the season & the gluttony going on by these young birds. It's fun to watch.

I now have 7 feeders, 2 squirrel feeders but only 1 bath. However I will be getting a heated bird bath for winter. Keeps the birds coming.

M

ML

I love the sounds and colors of birds. What an uplifting post! I'm glad you're hearing and seeing beauty again xo ML