My first time banning a book

Marguerite

I was thinking she was trying to push buttons, mainly. But the danger with this is, she reads the stuff PRETENDING interest then becomes genuinely interested in it, as part of the psychological investment in needing to have another 'reason' for reading it, other than just ticking mum off. Ironically, the more boring the book is, the more she will need to feel invested in the beleif system. Similarly, the more you react, the more she will feel a need to genuinely believe it, to justify the lack of other positive benefit. I forget what this is called, it's a fascinating (and disturbing) facet of human nature.

Marg

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm not so sure she was going for the shock factor. It takes a lot to surprise me and I've always allowed my children the freedom to explore and choose what fits their belief system.

Or maybe she's upping the ante. Who knows. She didn't shock me when she told me she's atheist, she didn't shock me when she became vegetarian (although we did have to have a few discussions on not forcing her choices down other's throats), so maybe she thought this would.

However, judging from the email she sent me, I have to think otherwise. It was very logical and well thought out, even if her perception of reality is skewed.

TerryJ2

Heather, it's your money. You have every right not to spend it on garbage.
Boy, is she a crummy atheist. To say the least.
So sorry.