My first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner

F

flutterbee

We go to my mom's every year, but she's going to be on a plane on Thanksgiving day this year. I don't care about Thanksgiving, but the kids do.

However, I am having serious issues about cooking a bird. I can't eat with the bird on the table, first of all. Then Devon reaches over and pulls a leg off and I feel physically ill. See, why I like Thanksgiving so much.

I don't think I can get past it to cook a turkey. And then...having to reach inside the bird to get the stuff out and wash it. :sick::sick::sick: I cannot do that. I just can't. I would have made a really bad pioneer.

So, I'm just going to buy a turkey breast instead. Yes, I know it's still turkey, but I can stomach it. I can't eat meat if it resembles what it looked like alive.

I really wish my mom was going to be here.

nvts

Heather! Get a turkey breast or if there's a Boston Market nearby, they have a sale going on where you can get the Family Meal (about $20 bucks) and add a second chicken for $2.00.

If you have a Stop & Shop, they also have prepared turkey dinners (as do a lot of supermarkets) OR Jennie-O has prepared turkey in the freezer case.

You can check on-line about the local grocery stores (like we have Pathmark, ShopRite, Wegmans, etc) that basically toss together turkey dinners for the holiday.

The most important thing is not to stress out over the whole thing. I've got 25 this year and don't give a rat's patootie if they have any issues with dinner - as a matter of fact, husband wants me to mess it up on purpose so that no one comes next year! ;)

Beth

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I was going to suggest what Beth said too. Buy either a turkey breast raw for you to cook at home or check with your local meat market - many of them will cook it for you. All you have to do is add all the sides. Easy enough.

I'm sorry your mom isn't there for you.

I am struggling with cooking a turkey this year too. Having given up meat, I thought I could compromise by buying an organically fed, free range turkey. I have one on order from a local farm. I thought I could do it until I saw a video of a sarah palin interview at a turkey farm up in Alaska, wherein the farmer is in the background killing the turkeys. I don't know how I thought they did it, but now there is no way I will take even a bite. Poor things. I'm sticking to the sides only.

Good luck and enjoy!

charlotechai

Don't worry, a turkey breast is as good as any full fledged turkey on the table =)

I watched food network the other day and saw Rachael Ray make Thanksgiving in 60 minutes. . .she made this wonderful looking spice rub that goes over the skin of the turkey breast and then made this pistachio thyme rub that goes underneath the skin (you can skip it if you don't want to shove your hand between the skin and meat of the breast) She then placed the breasts skin side down on a roasting pan burning over two burners on the stove top to crisp up the skin. .. and then she put it in the oven to finish up in there.

Or, you can just brine the turkey breasts and bake them off in the oven. But I know that cooking for Thanksgiving can be extremely stressful and tiring, sooo like the others mentioned, you can always buy one precooked =)

And I'm sorry about your Mom not being there . . . hopefully everyone can get together during Xmas. . .It's only little over a month away!

everywoman

I dislike turkey. Yuck. But today I cooked a Jenny-O turkey breast (in a bag, in a bag---you just take it out of the outer bag, poke some holes in the inner bag, throw it on a roasting pan and stick in in the oven) that was a cinch to fix and according to the 10 I fed, very tasty. I wouldn't know because I didn't eat any. I did however eat the dressing and creamed cheese corn and sweet potato casserole and vegetable casserole and biscuits and cranberry sauce---Yummy!

by the way---we did Thanksgiving today because Jana will have ACL reconstruction Tuesday and we will be in the hospital Thursday :(

everywoman

I dislike turkey. Yuck. But today I cooked a Jenny-O turkey breast (in a bag, in a bag---you just take it out of the outer bag, poke some holes in the inner bag, throw it on a roasting pan and stick in in the oven) that was a cinch to fix and according to the 10 I fed, very tasty. I wouldn't know because I didn't eat any. I did however eat the dressing and creamed cheese corn and sweet potato casserole and vegetable casserole and biscuits and cranberry sauce---Yummy!

by the way---we did Thanksgiving today because Jana will have ACL reconstruction Tuesday and we will be in the hospital Thursday :(

Abbey

Spork Queen
Gosh it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I'm working that day...don't have to cook.

Abbey

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
No kids no family so I am probably not cooking. And it is making me CRAZY. I absolutely LOVE to cook those big meals like that. Huge Turkey, Dressing, green bean casserole, scalloped corn, mashed tatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry goo, rolls. MMMMM. I truly wish I was closer. I would have no problem doing the big thing (I am a firm believer in taking apart the turkey before it goes to the table so it is ready to eat not something to look at). Oh and did I mention I would bake a couple pies too. I just love the kitchen (not mine mind you it still needs its make over).

My mom is in Texas this year so I don't even have family to share the holiday with either.

Hugs.

beth

Andy

Nothing wrong with turkey breast. Last year we stayed home for Thanksgiving and didn't have guests. We made a turkey roast (a box of rectangle turkey meat). Didn't seem like worth the effort for an entire turkey for four people (I am horrid with left overs). I find the fun in the trimmings - stuffing, cranberry jelly, dinner rolls, ect.

Ask the kids what one thing they look forward to on this meal and as long as you provide that, then all needs are met. (I hope they don't say turkey - mine would say cottage cheese and pumpkin pie)

klmno

Nothing wrong with Devon and difficult child thawing a turkey, getting the bag out, rubbing a little oil on it and sticking it in the oven either- if they want it bad enough... :D

goldenguru

Lots of larger supermarket chains offer prepared turkey dinners with-all the trimmings. Every year my parents get one. It includes a small cooked turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, even a pumpkin pie. It is not horrible expensive either.

Why do we feel so pressured to be Martha Stewart on the holidays?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
TV dinner!!! LOL The turkey dinner ones! I have eaten those many times when I was alone!
Actually the pre-made dinners are pretty good

susiestar

Roll With It
You can cook a turkey breast quite easily, and skip the gross part of sticking your hand up the turkeys @$$. (I have odd kids - they LIKE to stick their hands into the turkey to get the stuff out. Of course I have to discourage the desire to stick it onto a sibling's head like Joey did in Friends! They actually draw straws to see who will GET TO do that! ODD CHILDREN!)

If you do a turkey breast, there are 2 very simple ways to cook it. First is to get one of those disposable cooking bags. Toss in the meat, follow directions on the box and YUM!

The 2nd way is to get a turkey breast that will fit in your crockpot. Put it in the crockpot meat side DOWN (so the juices will run to the meat and not out of it), season to taste, stick in carrots, onions and celery if you like (I put celery ribs on the bottom of the crockpot and they hold the meat up a little so it doesn't stick to the bowl) and then cook on low for 4-6 hours, until a meat thermometer says it is done.

I hope you end up with something you enjoy and doesn't gross you out. My oldest has a real problem with eating chicken on the bone. Has ever since he was about 3.

For us at least Wiz is now eating meat. Though there are some fairly good turkey substitutes in the freezer section now.