My Grandkids are missing

muttmeister

difficult child 2 and his wife have not been living together since the end of September. I thought several times that they were going to get things worked out but last Friday, his wife disappeared with the grandkids.

We know a little and it is not good. She left with a guy difficult child had been working with. He had moved in with the lady across the street from me (a good friend of us all) this summer. I was never comfortable with him but I had no particular reason to feel that way. Now that they're gone, we find out he is 44 years old and has kids older than my daughter-in-law and he has grandkids. He has spend over 20 years in prison and was on parole and wanted for drug charges when he came here from Maryland. Maryland wants him back but they don't have the money to come and get him and unless he is arrested for something else, they won't do anything. I know that is true because difficult child is working with the local police and they are the ones who told him that. He has made threats to difficult child on difficult child's cell phone (yes, he kept them) and the police told difficult child to be sure he has a gun because the guy is considered dangerous so if he breaks in to "make it count."

We got in her house yesterday (with the landlord who is difficult child's best friend). She took all of the clothes but not much else; none of the kids' stuff except the clothes. No kitchen stuff. No furniture except somebody saw them moving the big expensive TV - that was difficult child's but they weren't gone long when they moved it so I don't know if they stored it, sold it, gave it away, or junked it just to be nasty.

Haven't talked to the school yet so I don't know if they've heard from her but obviously they are not in school here.

His ex girlfriend thought he was planning to go to Florida; daughter in law has a grandmother there but I talked to her yesterday on Facebook and she knows nothing and she thinks they're all nuts so I'm sure she'd tell me if she knew something. There is a possiblity she's in the town where her parents just moved about 60 miles from here; the police are supposed to be looking into it but who knows if they'll actually do anything? GFGF has an appointment with SASA; police told him they'd help him sue for custody.

daughter in law got in a fight a couple of months ago and is on a PR bond so if she leaves the state she will be in violation but it's not anything serious so the law would not go hunt for her. Her mother has warrents in several states and her dad may have one too but it seems that unless you kill somebody nobody wants to spend the money to come and get you.

We are waiting to see what happens. I'm not sure where the grandkids are; noboby has heard from them or daughter in law in nearly a week. SHe changed her cell phone #, left granddaughter's cell phone behind so she can't be tracked, and unfriended us all from Facebook.

What a mess! Please pray for my 3 grandkids or send good thought or whatever.

Thanks.

trinityroyal

Saying many prayers for the safety of your grandkids Mutt. What a horrible situation. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts, and sending strength.
Trinity

T

TeDo

Oh mutt, that is terrible. I REALLY hope and pray it all comes to a good ending. You and difficult child must be just frantic as I would be, too. It sounds like such a scary scenario that I'm sure all kinds of bad things are running through your head. Have they issued an Amber alert.....do you have such a thing in your state? Have you contacted the news stations .... put some pressure on? Just some ideas.

Many supportive (((HUGS))) to you and difficult child. I can only imagine.

InsaneCdn

Do the kids have passports?
Either way - with or without - flag the passport office and whoever else, so that if she tries to take them out of the country they will be stopped at the border.

lmf64

Praying for all of you.
Do you have a license plate? Description of car? Recent pictures? Even without an Amber alert you could make a flyer and fax it to truck stops. Most truck stops have a bulletin board where they can put up the flyer and truckers will see it and can be on the look out.

Last edited:

muttmeister

According to the police, this is not an amber alert situation because they are known to be with their mother and as of now she has just as much right to them as he does. I wonder what they would say if he ran off with them and didn't tell her where they are? I doubt if the rules would be the same but maybe I'm wrong.

We're checking into finding out if they've enrolled them in school anyplace. If so, according to difficult child's lawyer, as the father he can call the school to demand a welfare check and they will call CPS and have them go to the home and do a welfare check immediately. The problem with that is, if they don't remove the kids they might all be on the run again and we wouldn't have any idea where to look for them.

They have no money and few brains and I find it very unlikely they'd try to leave the country but at this point they have no passports anyway. I know the guy she's with is worried about getting caught and he is not too smart about laws so I imagine he'd think he needed false ID to apply for anything.

According to the lawyer, the best bet may be to keep the appointment on Monday to see about custody and let them take it from there. We'll see. So we don't want to do anything to make them run before then.

I find it hard to believe that you can have all of these warrants and be wanted in all of these places and nobody cares. If something fell in my purse by accident and I got home and found that I'd taken it home without paying for it, I'd expect the law to hunt me down to the ends of the earth like Inspector Javert after Jean Valjean. I guess you have to murder somebody important to even be worth going after.

DammitJanet

I dont know if they would touch it Mutt but try sending in the kids pictures and the type of vehicle along with a picture of the mom. Tell things about what each of the kinds of things the kids like to do so they seem more real and send that off to Nancy Grace and Jane Valez. They just may put the kids up as filler material. Even that is something.

buddy

How selfish and hurtful to do that to those kids. Not to mention the pain to you, difficult child and all of the family who worry and miss them. I think criteria for an Amber alert is pretty tight and the kids have to be in a verified threat situation. But nothing to stop all other venues as you feel comfortable. Must be hard to have to go through the steps. I bet they sold the TV for money to run.....so maddening.

So sorry for difficult child and your worried heart. Prayer said for their safety and quick return.

witzend

Mutt, she's going to have to register them for school somewhere, or ask for public aid of some sort. I'd give it a week and hire someone who can access that type of public information for you. I hope that they are well and will be back in your arms soon! (What an awful thing to do to those children!)

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so incredibly sorry. Truly she is a horrible parent and I pray that they can find the kids before more bad things happen to them. You might consider paying one of those online information services to find out more about her. It might not help but it also might reveal a place she might go, or someone she used to know or some way to bring her to the public's attention so that everyone will be searching for them.

Also google them. Search on her maiden name, married name, and any other names she uses, search his name and aliases, and search the kids' names and even any relatives of hers or his that you mght know. If she takes any rx medications, maybe the state bureau of narcotics can help you if you can get the cops involved. They would have records of every controlled substance rx she has filled and the system is updated in real tme so they can see as soon as the rx is entered into the computer. At least our state works that way.

(((((gentle cyber hugs for you and your son and your missing grandbabies)))))

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Oh I am sorry you are having to deal with this situation. I will send prayers up for you and the grands. Hope you locate them soon. Hugs to you.