My "green" house

JJJ

As I was moving in my "new" kitchen table and chairs, I realized that I have very little furniture that I purchased.

The "new" kitchen table and chairs are my grandparents from when my mom was little (they don't make them like they used to)

I have two coffee tables - one from my grandparents and one from husband's grandparents. My couch/loveseat/chair are from my aunt & uncle. Our other chair is from my grandparents. I have a rocking chair and computer table that my mom bought me. I think I bought the bookshelfs and I know we bought the TV.

Upstairs, one bedroom set was my mom's when she got married 40+ years ago, the other sets were husband's and his sister's when they were growing up. Our bed was bought with insurance money when we had the fire 12 years ago. One bed was his parents, one bed was mine when I was little and the other two are from my grandparents' friend.

So, you can either conclude that we are poor or that I'm very green and saving the earth's resources :rofl:

Anyone else big into re-using furniture?

witzend

I bought most of my furniture from one of the better auction houses in town that does estate auctions. I buy the contemporary style, so it goes for a song. When we bought this house I did buy new sofas, and when we added on our bedroom, I bought our first ever new bedroom set after 25 years together.

I recommend the auction houses for anyone who wants good used furniture about about 1/5 the price.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh yeah. Your house is furnished like mine. I have a loveseat and armchair in my front room that neighbors handed down to us when they moved (they're tattered, but tres comfy so I have slipcovers on them and no one's the wiser). I have another armchair in the livingroom that I bought for $25 in 1986 at a yard sale when I first moved out on my own. We still use the coffee table I bought the next year at a warehouse sale. My daughter's bedroom set was bought from my mom's friend's mother's estate sale -- it was the friend's set when she was a kid in the late 40's & 50's. The dresser in difficult child 1's room husband bought at a yard sale when he came out to California in 1984. I have my bookcase that I finished when I was in highschool, and another that a neighbor gave me this year! husband's computer desk was a neighbor's castoff, as was the desk in easy child's room. We have bought a couple of things new, but the majority of our furnishings came to us with a past. :D

KTMom91

I'm big on recycling, too. Hubby and I bought a new bedroom set before we got married ten years ago, and a new couch last year. Miss KT's bedroom set was my Nana's, purchased in 1940. I've also found stuff at Goodwill and Salvation Army.

Lothlorien

My dining room set was my Aunt's. My chaise lounge in my bedroom was my great grandmother's. The sectional in my living room was a deal I found on Craigslist after my dog destroyed my couch with her Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The basement furniture is a hand-me-down. The bed and dresser in Mighty Mouse's room are from antique show (they aren't antiques) sale. Missy's bedroom furniture was a find through the newspaper.

And on and on.....There are some new things in my house, but a lot of things are flea market/second hand finds and I'm totally fine with that!

flutterby

Fly away!
All of the furniture in my living room, kitchen and my bedroom have been filtered down through my mom over the years, except for the electronics, lamps, and treadmill. I would really love a new sofa, though.

The washing machine I bought used 10 years ago for $50. Probably not very energy efficient, but it still works great. Had to replace the knob several years ago and that's the only problem I've had with it.

The furniture in the kids' bedroom was all bought new at various intervals.

TPaul

Idecor8
We to have a green recycled home. We have some great stuff in our home and hardly anything was bought new from the store. The only things in the last few years that are new are our computer,(clearance at wally world) our dryer and s s refrig. ( bought at scratch and dent) and some box fans during the summer.

We had to make due for several years on a little amount of money, so I learned really really well how to stretch every single penny. We always managed to find great bargains and have some really cool things in our home. Being in the antiques for so many years, too helped us think preloved is better. Cost a lot less, and leaves more money left over for other things.

To buying (preloved) green
Tpaul

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
For the first time in my adult life (I'm 52) I bought new furniture this past spring. A living room set & a bedroom set for myself.

Saying that I've been going wild at consignment/resale & antique stores for decorating. Over this past weekend with my sis & sister in law I found the 2 perfect mirrors I've been searching for to using in my living room & over my piano (which I also bought this year from an dealer who deals only in pianos that need to be rebuilt & the like). I found some gorgeous old artwork & an area rug for my living room.

I like sturdy furniture so I tend to check the resale shops - furniture made "back then" is more substantial.

JJJ, I love green houses - tend to be lived in, not on display.

DDD

The only new things in my home are the appliances & electronics and a leather sofa and chair that I had to buy after easy child/difficult child had his brain surgery
and kept spilling and dropping food on the comfortable old furniture in the family room. The oldest item is the upright piano that is over 100 years old.

I'm not a shopper by nature, thank heavens, so it never occurs to me to even look at new items...excedpt clothes. If we had a really good consignment store I might buy those used too.

Interesting thread. DDD

JJJ

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

I love that our kitchen table is now hosting a third generation of children. And it is so sturdy, that it is going to be great to build blanket forts this winter.

DammitJanet

The only new stuff in my house is Keyana's toddler bed and I got that on freecycle. Eventually she will have a twin sized bed but we are going to build it because we want to make her a bed with a slide and its too expensive to buy and we got the plans. I have my moms antiques, some hand-me-down family room furniture and second hand bedroom furniture.