My H tries to ruin the holidays for me~

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet, the thing is that while my H can be a real turd and drive me out of mind some times, when I try to imagine my life in years to come, he is in it. Even when I daydream about having my own apt on the very worst moments or days, he is still in the daydream on some level. And I'm relatively certain that my girls will always live somewhat locally. Used to be I thought they'd flee to NY the first chance they got, but easy child recently said she wants to settle down here one day and if difficult child stats with her boyfriend, he would never leave this area. So at least I know I'd have some cheery ppl around for the holidays even if h is a pill. Lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Then......I'm somewhere in between Daisy Face - and myself. I mean I too just let it be with DF and his bluesy-self. We also give him a clear latitude around the holidays to be the original party toilet paper user, but at what point DO you have to say "LOOK HERE MAN - there are others in the house! that ENJOY Christmas and your behavior is ruining it for everyone!" Respecting someones space is ALWAYS good in a relationship, but at what point do you have to stand up for yourself and say to your spouse that his respect is not mutual? I would say this is that time.

Maybe I'm way off kilter here, and believe me we did talk about this in therapy because after so many years together you CAN get stale about so many things because you think well, if I don't accept THAT about him then he won't accept THIS about me and I think THAT thing about me is worse - so I'll keep my trap shut. Then instead of it becomming a balancing act of give and take it starts becoming a score keeping sport. HE did this - so I should be able to do that and he will have to keep shut and when he doesn't I'll throw THAT thing up in his face. THAT is not fighting fair. THAT will ruin relationships. Keeping shut about things he's doing that are making you miserable also is not helping you and it just drives a wedge further between you. That's not the objective of a good relationship in my humble opinion. Sitting him down and saying "I may have told you this before, but I wanted to tell you this again because it's getting to be that season again and I'd like us all to have an enjoyable one so lets you and I both lay out some ground rules NOW that we can both abide by. That way if I push you and make you uncomfortable or vise versa? We can have some sort of signal and nip it in the bud so we both enjoy our holiday."

Like Daisy said - NO forcing him to do anything - but on the same token - he needs to stop grumbling and get a grip or maybe you suggest at that point GO FOR A RIDE. To stop his complaining.

THEN if you've done all you can to come to a compromise, asked him, and met him 1/2 way and he's still refusing - THEN I'd hit him (not with a frying pan) with what I told DF because honey LIFE is too short to keep listening to someone complain about something that he is offered a compromise for and refuses to do anything about.

Just sayin' -
And I love how this board comes together and tempers each other with wit, love and humor.

busywend

Jo - I think you should plan a weekend getaway and give that to husband as a gift. He can not put that in a closet for it to go to waste. AND you get a gift, too!

M

ML

Nothing to add except Star is my guru when it comes to relationship advice.

My husband refers to himself as the original curmugeon so I get it. It used to drive me crazy but a couple things have changed. Both of us needed to compromise. I had to detach somewhat and concentrate on what I needed to do to remain happy and in a good mood. Also, he had to start working a program (AA) and that has been a godsend. So when I start to complain that I never see him because he is at "another meeting" (he goes to one daily) I remind myself that at least the other 22 hours of the day I get a more pleasant human being. A reasonable trade off.

Happy Holidays and early Happy Birthday Jo!

Jena

i'm soo late to this and i'm sooo sorry. lots of great advice as usual. at the end of the day ignore him and it, if that man is still in your daydreams of the future you still love him pill and all. men do get weird around holidays especially regarding money. i've already heard it this week as well. i take it in, validate and than release. we cant' control other ppl even our husband's all we can do is validate, release, smile and say ok you feel better now for getting that **** out?

just some screwed up advice from me whose about to post about my husband's bs today lol.

((((hugs)))) enjoy every min of your holiday, tell husband how special it is to you simply because he's there to share it with you. the whole honey bee thing!! :)