My idiotic neighbor is at it again

TerryJ2

I'm glad you've gotten a start on a lead. I have a friend who has a lead that goes between his house and a tree and it works beautifully. The dogs can run full speed ahead ... for a short time ... and back. They learn their limits quickly.

I would not leave the house, or course, with-her out there, especially wearing a choke. Technically, chokes are only for training. But I know what you mean by having her slip out of it. My collie does the same thing--duck and pull and he's out.

This guy is nuts and evil.

DammitJanet

I didnt have to get a choke collar, I got a really pretty pink nylon collar that buckles but it is thick and wide. I just have it buckled pretty tight around her so it wont slip over her ears. Even when she pins them back she cant slip it and she tried hard yesterday. She isnt fond of me taking her out there but I walk her out on the leash and attach her while still on the leash then remove the leash.

She is doing really well at night back in her crate too. Tony gets up when he goes to work at 4 and lets her out for about 20 minutes to run around in the yard because no one is up and its safe so she goes potty and then he brings her back in and lets her stay out of the kennel the rest of the morning. We had to put her back in the crate at night because between her and buddy they were running laps and crashing into everything during the night while we were trying to sleep. It was like night time was play time.

TerryJ2

Good that she's learning a new routine. She'll be fine within a week, I think.
Your neighbor ... not so much.

buddy

Awesome ...you've made alot of progress in a short time. I saw some really wide pretty collars the other day. They looked great. Hope that works out for her. My dogs are so used to their collars that after a bath if I hold out their collars they come put their necks on it....like they aren't complete without them, lol.

DammitJanet

Oh she isnt happy with her collar...lol. I had to corner her in her crate and kept feeding her treats until I got it on her. by the way, do you know they now make trail mix for dogs? LOL. Its actually made out of better stuff than the regular dog food! Not better than the expensive dog food but better than Beneful. No corn or by products.

Now on a great note today, Tony killed a deer this morning and came home with it and let the dogs out in the yard with him. I didnt hear him come home so when I went out to take them out to put her on the chain I saw her in the yard and ran out to get her on the leash. She came right to me and let me put the leash on her and started walking over to the chain just fine. Now that could have been because Tony was over there with the deer but I choose to believe she would have gone okay anyway because I couldnt see him until I turned the corner of the house so maybe she couldnt either.

InsaneCdn

We had to put her back in the crate at night because between her and buddy they were running laps and crashing into everything during the night while we were trying to sleep. It was like night time was play time.​

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f10/my-idiotic-neighbor-again-51007/index2.html#ixzz2BElhbzN2
Janet... when we got our first dog, it was a "working" breed, and we were warned - first by the shelter, then by the vet - to absolutely crate train and then always use it at night... because otherwise these breeds don't shut down, which means they don't get the quality sleep they need. Crate/kennel means "off duty".

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like you're making pretty darn good progress. :)

The other day there was this young kid (ok so he was probably maybe 17-18) attempting to walk this older pup (could tell by behavior it was still very much a puppy, although near full size), poor kid was having one heckova time at it. It appeared the pup had never been on a leash. Pup was torn between not being happy about this foreign thing keeping it restrained or was it a great new pull toy to play with. Boy, to give him much credit, was endlessly patient with the pup. He walked it up and down the alley for a few hours, then around the neighborhood. Which is how it came to my attention. Rowdy only barks at people/dogs he doesn't know. Person he knew, it was a neighborhood kid, dog he didn't know.

That evening we take the girls out for their walk. Maggie had just had a major crazed run in the back yard off lead. She'd not had a walk in 3 days due to ice cold rain (the one thing I will NOT walk in) It was probably a good thing she was already pretty tired. We ran into this boy and his pup downtown. Boy moved pup to the boulevard off the sidewalk and waited for us to pass. As we got close I saw why, pup is a beautiful American bull dog, one I've posted for adoption for the pound. (which means I knew his personality, which was sweet as pie even with other dogs) Molly gave the pup a warning growl (she does this with every dog due to some unpleasant past experiences) I told her to hush it was just a baby. Maggie wanted to play with him, he wanted to play with her......fortunately Maggie was already too tired to push the issue cuz the boy had all he could do to keep control over the huge pup wanting to play. lol I was very happy to see that the pup had found a very patient owner. Although I did suggest a choke collar for walks to him as we passed, at least until he was trained.

But it made me think of you and Abby for some reason. lol

Maggie is good on walks 99 percent of the time. It's that one percent that drives me nuts. I have warned Travis if it continues she'll be switched to a choke collar for walks. Maggie won't like it, she likes her harness. But I won't have a dog trying to play tug o war with me or hopping (literally) around like an insane dog while I"m trying to walk her either, even if it's just one percent of the time. She is the only dog I've had this issue with and for the life of me I can't figure it out. She has used a leash since she was 5 wks old for pete's sake. It's certainly not because she's not used to walking on one. ugh

DammitJanet

I should have had harnesses on her since she was born but then we had no clue which dog we were keeping. There were so many. Plus lets face it, I dont have blocks to walk her on and I am not capable of walking her around blocks either. I am doing good to walk her around my yard maybe twice. I do NOT want to even show her there is a world at the end of my driveway because that is where there is an awful busy highway. If she ever got up there she would be dead within minutes by getting hit by a car. Right now she only knows she lives in the middle of trees and a field. Her only friends are Buddy and a beautiful bulldog named Honey at another neighbor's house who loves to have her over. Honey and her are besties. But Honey lives in the opposite direction from the bad neighbor so one couldnt say she was looking for Honey by going to his house.

We went back a step though last night. She pooped in her crate. I dont know what time Tony got up this morning. I did feed her last night though. She was so hungry when she came in off the chain because she doesnt seem to want to eat when she is on it. I guess I am going to have to wait her out on that one and not feed her at night until she will eat on her chain.

buddy

Has anyone used a gentle leader? Our humane society shelters use them for all the dogs so JJ came trained to one. When I don't use it she pulls if she wants to play or sees a squirrel. But with it she walks right by us. I hook my leash to the leader and Quin's is hooked to the harness. I had used one for my little dog long ago too. He was so easy and little we stopped. He walks by us and always came when callef (now deaf and low vision so she has to smell us, lol.. Still comes though!)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok buddy what is a gentle leader and how expensive is it? Because Maggie I think has sled dog mixed in there somewhere along with bird/squirrel dog.......and she pulls and for a baby is as strong as Rowdy was a full grown. (seriously, she thought she could snatch a hawk out of the sky the other day, took me a bit to convince her she couldn't jump that high lol )

If it's not too expensive, I might give it a shot.

InsaneCdn

Gentle Leader is a brand-name, for a contraption that goes over the nose and behind the ears, and the leash attaches below the chin... with a mechanism that tightens when they pull. For some dogs, it works well... for others, it makes them furious.

Another thing to try is a no-pull harness. It's a walking harness with the attachment point on the chest instead of on the back - the result being that if they try to pull, they just spin around.

Our trainer said either one can help, but the biggest help is training... every time she pulls even slightly, you stop... still pulling? back up. when she comes to you, reward her. Repeat. and repeat. and repeat. They DO catch on.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't see even managing to get something over her nose and behind her ears. lol I think I've seen one then..............neighbor lady walked her great dane with it for about 2 yrs. Got to say, he never did pull, doesn't now either and he no longer is using it. Maybe I'll give it a try, although Travis will have to help me put it on her.

I'm training, she's just not getting the idea. When she pulls I do try to stop. Then it turns into tug o war. Only time stopping doesn't trigger that is when we stop for streets. I give the "wait" command and she can't go until I give the "go" command. (which she does very well) Backing up would definitely trigger tug o war. And once she starts that it's really hard to get her to stop. It's worse than the pulling issue, although it only happens once in a while unless she has a lot of energy to burn off.

Excess energy may be some of the pulling issue too. We're trying (now that she's too big to escape via the gate) to give her more run in the yard time, especially if it's a day when I've watched the boys because she spends a great deal of time gated to the kitchen. Connor just can't get over his sensory issues with her. When he goes for his nap she has free run again, but that is after 6 hrs in the kitchen. And winter is coming. ugh This is also why we try not to skip a walk with her and why we walk so far at a very fast pace. She does up to 3 miles per day.

I think I'll start walking her with pockets loaded down with liver snacks. lol

DammitJanet

Abby wont move on her chain. She just barely moves maybe 5 feet or so and she is refusing to eat her food out there and I wont feed her in the house. I guess I am going to have to feed her inside in the morning before I put her out. I find her huddled up in the same stupid position at the end of the day when I go to bring her in that she was in when I put her out...sigh.

InsaneCdn

She's scared of the tie-down equipment. She'd definitely do better with a fenced-in run, where SHE isn't tied down... but is still restricted.

buddy

There are different brands of the nose type thing and the gentle leader is fixed so does not actually pull smaller (like a choke chain idea) but pulls like a fixed regular collar. It is like what you do with horses. Their heads come your direction instead of kicking in the pull reflex but just like a dog who has never had a collar you may need to build tolerance. It supposedly also may kick in a more submissive state because dogs use pressure over the muzzle to establish dominance. All I can say is both my dogs just resign themselves, lol. Even without a leash attached they are more calm. I only use it for work (with a harness and vest for JJ ) and he is fine. Its behind the mouth so not a muzzle at all...they can eat and play the same.
I've seen dogs who hate it.....pretty funny actually.