My job description just changed and I am MAJORLY freaking out!!!

A dad

Apple my son hates his school. I have asked him why several times, and his answers don't make much sense. I guess that's an Asperger's kid for you. Anyway, he really wants to transfer to the district that we moved from three years ago to be with his old friends. He has friends here, but he says most of them don't talk to him anymore since they started high school. He also doesn't care for several of his teachers. I am disappointed in the way this school year is turning out. I hate my new boss, difficult child is still missing school due to her medical issues plus insomnia, and easy child hates our school. Talk about stress overload.
On the bright side him hating school is a mainstream and normal thing so that is good right?

Californiablonde

Apple, both my kids still keep in touch with their friends from our old district. In fact, they just attended a birthday party this past weekend for one of difficult child's friends. Both kids really want to move back to our old district. They really miss it there. Now I regret moving closer to work. It didn't work out for any of us.

Californiablonde

Well guess what? My supervisor complained to me today that she hates making all these calls and they really stress her out. My boss keeps trying to talk her into giving me ALL the calls, instead of splitting them half and half. For the last nine years we have always split up the alphabet half and half. Now he is trying hard to convince her to give them all to me. Earlier she told me she wouldn't agree to it because she knows how stressed I get. Now she is getting sick of all the phone calls. I have a feeling she is going to take my boss' advice and give all the calls to me. There is 100 percent NO WAY I can handle double the calls, especially since I don't speak Spanish. Please send good thoughts my way that it doesn't happen! I am afraid I will just walk out of here and have a nervous break down!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Don't walk out of there! Do your very best. And let them terminate you when your best isn' t good enough. Let them pay you unemployment.

Californiablonde

I am so afraid I am not gonna make it! And I don't even speak Spanish and most of these people speak Spanish. Why on earth would my boss want ME to make all the calls?!

AppleCori

Hang on, Cali.

Just read your script like a robot. Try to put yourself on autopilot. This, too, shall pass. I'm surprised that the school is not inundated with angry calls about them calling all the emergency contacts.

Is there a way you can get the kids back into their old school? Would your daughter go to school regularly if she could be back in the old school with her friends?

Maybe there is a job at that school? Worth a look.

Californiablonde

I am looking online for jobs in our old school district. So far I haven't found anything that fits, but I'm not giving up. Both my kids have expressed wanting to go back to our old area badly. I think moving here was just a big huge mistake.

Californiablonde

Well guess what? My boss wants to meet with me today after lunch and I'm terrified. I have a feeling he is going to double my calls. Please pray that doesn't happen! I am so scared to go to that meeting.

witzend

It seems to me that your supervisor may be purposely antagonizing you in an effort to freak you out and let you make an error that she could write you up for.

Will she succeed? CB, they pay you regardless of your duties. Make sure that you and she have an idea of what you're expected to do during a day's work and how she'd like you to allocate your hours.

Californiablonde

The meeting went better than expected. My boss, at least for now, is still having my supervisor split up the calls with me half and half. That could easily change, however. He wants us to start having meetings every ten days to discuss procedures. This is the most uptight boss I have ever had. My previous three bosses were much more relaxed, and trusted us to do things our own way. This new one wants to completely have control, and I'm not used to it.

I am still looking hard at other districts for another job. There was a job opening in my old district where we used to live that was perfect for me. IT's a delivery driver job 11 months out of the year. I really want an 11 month job. Right now working only ten months out of the year is really affecting my finances badly. The two months off is nice, but not worth the struggle.

Anyway, this driving job would have been perfect since I love to drive, but my DUI four years ago after taking a Klonopin and driving is preventing me from applying. If only my doctor would have warned me not to take the medicine and drive. Anyway, it is what it is. I will continue to look for an office job. Wish me luck on that. The job I have now is seriously making my entire life miserable.

Californiablonde

Thank you Confused. I am leaving early today to see my new psychiatrist. It seems like any time I am away from the office, my boss meets with my supervisor and gives us more work. I am dreading coming in tomorrow and having her tell me he suddenly changed his mind and wants me to do even more calls. Hopefully that's not the case. Every time I turn my back he adds more work. I certainly hope not any time soon.

witzend

SSI is not dependent upon a record of prior earnings. It is based upon whether or not your condition is severe enough to make it difficult for you to work, and is likely to be permanent. I do not know the specific language but it amounts to that. You can google it.

I agree with every word that Feeling Sad says.

I will add one thing: I hate them for what they do.
I believe that's SSDI rather than SSI. Here's the right place to start:

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/

Word from the "been there, done that, seen lots of people fail..."

Have all your ducks in a row. Understand that there is a 6 months waiting period even if you are immediately approved. Only describe your abilities on your worst day. As far as an employer of a person with a disability goes, you are only as good to them as you are on your worst day.

Californiablonde

I liked him okay, Apple. He admits that as far as treating my anxiety with non benzos, I have tried every single thing possible and he is out of options, except to try out some of the very old, almost never used trycylic antidepressants. Only problem with the trycylics is that they can cause fatal heart problems if used together with my Saphris. I absolutely HAVE to take the Saphris. Without it I am incredibly manic and suicidal. Stopping the Saphris is not an option.

My new doctor wants me to have an EKG and check my heart to make sure it's healthy before prescribing me a very old antidepressant called Nortryptaline. So now I have to schedule that EKG, which I can't afford to pay for for another two weeks, and if I'm okay I can start the new medication. So for now I have no help, except for one nightly dose of Xanax, which I can absolutely only take at night since it's not safe to drive with. Sigh. So far no help for my daily work anxiety. At least I have some hope. Chances are my heart is healthy, and I can try out the Nortryptaline in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

Lil

Just so people know, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is income-based. It is for people who's prior earnings are not sufficient for them to receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Income).

SSDI can only be received by people who have worked a sufficient amount. I am unsure of the number of quarters of work required, but it is something you have paid into, just like Social Security retirement benefits. Therefore, just like standard old-age Social Security, people who have had high earnings will receive more SSDI than people who worked for low wages.

SSI can be received by anyone who is disabled who has a low enough income level, including children and adults who have never held a job. I do not know what level of income is allowed in order to receive it, but they do look at household income. So a married woman who is disabled, but has a husband who has a good income, may not be eligible for SSI, while a disabled married woman who has paid into Social Security thru employment can draw SSDI regardless of the amount of income her husband has. A previously low-wage person who gets only a small SSDI check may also receive a SSI check.

I believe the disability requirements are the same.

susiestar

Roll With It
Tricyclics are older medications, but that is GOOD. They are not 'almost never used' at all. The older tricyclics are good because the side effects are very well known and won't be a surprise. Generally they are safe, effective and inexpensive. Wiz was finally able to learn to cope and function well when a tricyclic was added for his sleep problems. It gave his system and other medications that boost that he needed in order to learn to cope and behave like a reasonable human being.

Nortriptyline may make you tired, so take it in the evening and not before work or driving especially the first few weeks. I took a small dose of it before bed for a long time because it helped with some of my health issues. I know several people with severe anxiety who are greatly helped by nortriptyline or other tricyclics when a small dose was added to their medications.

It isn't a good thing to assume that a medication won't work because it is 'old'. honey is one of the oldest medicines in the world and it is still very effective. It is used to help heal infected wounds, burns, skin irritations, internal infections and many more things. The ancient civilizations used it and modern doctor up on the very latest things use it too. Dr Oz even recommended one special kind to help if you get sick with an infection. At one point when I was in the hospital for cellulitis a few years back they told me they would likely use honey on my muscle if they had to cut the infected tissues away (I had the bacteria that causes necrotizing fasciiatis, aka flesh eating bacteria, but was blessed that they found a combo of antibiotics that my cultures responded to, so I got to avoid surgery to cut out the dead muscles or amputate my leg!) because it is one of the best dressings to help it heal. Honey from hives in yoour local area is often suggested to help with allergies. It somehow helps your body not react to the local plants if you consume a small amount every day (one allergist said a teaspoon, another said a tablespoon). It helps thank you's spring allergies far more than the allergy shots did or that any of the medications we have tried every helped - and we tried every OTC and prescription antihistamine that was in use when his allergies were so bad when he was little.

Up until my cellulitis, I had never thought of honey as a medication but like many older medications, it can be very effective. So try to be positive about the new-to-you medication because older medications can be very effective and are often far safer than the newer medications.

Californiablonde

Thank you for your input, Susiestar. Hopefully this new medication helps. My EKG is next Thursday. Apple, my daughter was doing great for about a week then relapsed. She is having bad stomach pain and nausea almost constantly. We got the results of her ultrasound and stool samples and they both came back negative. The next test they are going to run will be giving her a pill with a tiny camera inside it and looking at the middle of her intestines. Hopefully it will show something because she is not getting any better. She missed school every single day this week. The attendance office is refusing to excuse any of her absences without doctor's notes, and her gastroenterologist won't give her any notes because, in her opinion, my daughter is still well enough to go to school. Her missing so much school is NOT helping my anxiety!