My kids will be the death of me yet

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Forget heart attacks and chronic renal failure............

My kids are going to be involved somewhere in my cause of death.:tongue:

We got about 6-7 more inches of snow yesterday. On top of the 8 inches we already had. Kills me cuz I've heard on the news we didn't get that much........someone must be lying to them. lol

Nichole recently bought a new jeep (used and checked out by sister in law) because her Geo is on it's last legs. She is thrilled to have 4 wheel drive.....and just in time for all this snow. I took her out before this 2nd storm hit to buy her new wipers. The ones she had just smeared the wetness across the glass.

While doing this I gave her the finer points of 4 wheel drive. Basically I attempted to drill into her head that it won't make her invincible and it doesn't mean that the jeep can handle all road conditions. I *thought* our talk got backed up when she brought me home, put on her brakes and the jeep did not stop but continued to slide down the small incline of the alley next to the house and first headed for my car (OMG! NO!) and I calmly talked her out of the slide when it next decided to head for the big ole pine tree across the alley.....talked her out of that one and it finally came to a stop. Thank God she was just creeping down the alley......or I'd not have a car anymore.:faint:

Last evenings driving wasn't too bad and she made it home fine. It was inbetween bouts of snow showers.

Maybe she was feeling full of herself........But it was not snowing when she got off work. However the winds have kicked up and what we got is blowing all over the place on the open highways.

Nichole called me this evening. She sounded very small (like a little girl) and very scared. Her voice shook. I asked her if she made it home from work ok. She said she was driving home from work. The snow was blowing across the highway. She was doing fine.........

Then suddenly she wasn't fine anymore. Fast as she could blink she had lost control with a blast of snow. Attempts to recover failed. And she said all she could think of was that she had forgotten to put on her seat belt (she always wears it) and that if she rolled her airbag would deploy and probably smother her. (she's under 5 feet) Then she was more scared of that..........

And she hit the floor of the jeep and tucked into the FETAL position.

I said YOU WHAT???!!!!:highvoltage::help:
Jeep miraculously did not wind up in the ditch, nor did it roll. I swear I don't know how it didn't BECAUSE MY KID WAS NO LONGER BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!!

My heart (seriously) went straight thru the floor. I was certain the next thing she was going to tell me was that she was in the ER. Not wanting, or ready, to hear that, I asked if her jeep was still out there on the highway and did she need sister in law to go get it for her?

She said no. Her friend from work (my age) had been following her. Friend told Nichole that she had been doing fine....then poof she was all over the place and out of control. (I think friend left her heart out there on the pavement somewhere) Friend was sure she was headed for the ditch and going to roll. But instead the jeep stayed (miraculously) on the shoulder for the most part. Friend helped her calm down so she could back it out and drive it the rest of the way home.

MUCH SLOWER!

OMG!!! Did I mention my kids are gonna kill me??? :faint:

Nichole is fine and so is the jeep.

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! She went to the floor into the fetal position!!!:holymoly:

I'm soooo having trouble wrapping my mind around that one. Of course you can't regain control if you're lying on the floor board!!! OMG!!!

This kid has Soooooo got a guardian angel.

mstang67chic

Going Green
:faint:

That would be a situation that requires you to hug her tightly, smack her around, hug again, smack some more, shake her and ask what the BLEEP she was thinking, hug, smack, etc.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

OMG. Give her a hug and then a smack for me, too. HITH did she think she'd get out of that???

AND one more thing... If I was having issues... I would not be ABLE to hit the floor. I'd be held in place by my SEATBELT.

...Isn't she an EMT?????

TerryJ2

OMG!!!!
She is so lucky!
Back to Driver's Ed, I say.
Do you have enough $ to sign her up for the BMW safe driving course in SC?
Gosh, I've heard a lot of driving stories (my dad was a professional SCCA racer), plus, 5 kids in my family, and lots of friends, but you've got me beat on that one!
Sheesh.

donna723

Lisa, that scared me half to death just reading it! I know she just panicked but maybe when she's calmed down, she needs to think what would have happened if the Jeep had hit something head-on and she was curled up on the floorboard!

And I agree - a little smack/hug/smack/hug session is called for!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have to get to her before I can hug smack hug her. I did plenty of yelling once the initial shock wore off. Yes, she's my EMT. And yes, she always wears her seat belt. She's been in an accident as a child where it quite literally saved her tiny butt from going thru the windshield. She had a seatbelt imprint for about 3 weeks.

I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing in my entire life. And my extended family is full of idiots.

She went to dinner with easy child and sister in law last night. I'm positive sister in law reamed her six ways from sunday during the entire meal.

As for the seat belt.......I haven't figure that out. She's been trained since infancy to put it on the moment she sits in a car. It's an automatic thing with all my kids. All I can think of is the snow made her nervous and she simply forgot.

I bet she doesn't forget again.

I've tried running the scenario thru my mind........and man! I don't think I could move fast enough to hit the floor board of an out of control vehicle.

OMG! if she'd have went into the other lane instead of the ditch and hit someone head on she'd have been crushed to death.

What really surprised me is that Nichole is not normally a "fall apart" type of gal in an emergency situation.

I'm still saying O.M.G