My kitty is very sick - Update

F

flutterbee

Cassie is 12 years old. We've had her for 10 years - adopted her from the humane society.

Around midnight last night, I noticed something was very wrong. She was hardly moving and didn't do a thing when Puddles, one of our other cats, was sniffing her. Cassie hates Puddles and doesn't let him within 3 feet of her. I nudged her a bit and she got up, but was very wobbly. She made it to the water dish but was unable to get down to take a drink. The day before she seemed fine.

We rushed her to the vet last night. Her temp was low - 98 and normal is 101. She was dehydrated.

The bloodwork today isn't good. Her liver and kidney numbers are "off the scale", her white blood count and red blood count are low. They put in an IV catheter and are giving her fluids and antibiotics. The vet says she has a 50/50 chance. :crying:

This is my baby. I'm going to visit her tonight when the vet makes his rounds.

Please send some good thoughts our way, please. I'm devastated. :crying:

Heather,

I'm so sorry!!! I know how awful it feels when one of your "furry" family members is so sick... :sad:

I'm keeping Cassie in my thoughts and praying that your "baby" will be ok... :angel:

Sending cyber hugs, WFEN

rejectedmom

Heather, I am so sorry i totall understand how you feel. I had to put my fur baby down in January. I'm not ove it yet. (((HUGS))) -RM

Oh Heather. Honey I am so sorry. I know, this hurts so bad.

Sending prayers, that God eases your baby's suffering, and wraps you in His arms with comfort. Sending gentle, understanding hugs and a big shoulder to lean on as you go through this.

F

flutterbee

I visited her tonight. She's very weak. :sad: She didn't move much at all - just got into a comfortable lying down position and moved her head a bit. She did purr, very softly, and did the kneading thing with her paws the entire time I was there.

The vet said that the low red blood count indicates a chronic condition. He thinks she's had mild, but chronic kidney disease and that a lot of animals are able to compensate for that which is why we didn't notice it before. However, something is affecting her liver and then she became dehydrated and that makes the kidneys worse. The liver problem was caught early, though, as she's not jaundiced. However, he's not thrilled that she's not perking up more with the fluids. She did complain more today when they put the IV catheter in than she did yesterday and that's a good sign. When he took her temp last night, she didn't protest a bit.

He's going to check on her in the morning and he'll give me an update. They'll redo the blood work on Monday to see if anything has changed.

Thank you for the hugs and good thoughts. It was so hard to leave her tonight.

F

flutterbee

Cassie passed away in her sleep last night curled up in the litter box that she turned into a bed.

I have no words. :crying:

tpcmom

I'm so sorry I understand deeply how you feel. I have 3 cats, the one we found last Aug. we were just told he has feline leukemia. I'm sick over it and now I have to worry about my other 2 guys. The male I had for also 12 years. It's just hearbreaking. I have to put the little guy down and I'm devestated. It's tearing me up, but I have no other choice. Now I have to get blood work on my other 2 and pray they come back negative.

Many cyber hugs your way (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))