My latest read: Growing Up On The Spectrum, by Koegel and LaZebnik

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I picked up this book that was in the clearance bin the other day. Not really sure why, because neither of my difficult children has a spectrum diagnosis -- although difficult child 2 was suspected of being "spectrum-ish", and I still wonder about that. But for $5.99, I picked it up and skimmed through thinking it might lend some insight for me.

I'm only into the second chapter, but already I can see that this could be a helpful guide for ANYONE raising a difficult child, regardless of the diagnosis. The subtitle for the book is "A Guide to Life, Love, and Learning for Teens and Young Adults with AUTISM and ASPERGER'S." It gives both the clinician's point of view as well as the PATIENT'S point of view.

Well, ya know what? It boils down to parenting in a very focused way so that the child learns how to successfully function in society. That's our goal afterall, right? I think I'm going to be able to use a lot of the information.

I'll keep y'all posted on how the reading goes...

TerryJ2

Cool! Thank you.
I bought an Asperger's book b4 difficult child had his diagnosis and it was very helpful. As you say, it's applicable to any difficult child ... routine, consistency, that sort of thing.
Keep reading! :)