My M&M's smell like Pepto-Bismal

F

flutterbee

I've had this happen before. They are the regular milk-chocolate M&M's. For the longest time, I couldn't identify what the smelled like, but I've now identified as Pepto-Bismal. It's just a bag every once in a while.

They taste ok, but it sure takes the enjoyment out of eating them. I wonder what's causing them to smell like that. I opened the bag and there was the smell so it's not like someone here spilled Pepto-Bismal on them..

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Blech! Where are you storing them? Could it be what they are displayed near in the store? Like wintergreen mints or something like that?

F

flutterbee

I got two bags at the same time. I checked to make sure and it's not the mint ones. The first bag was fine. Second bag smells like pepto-bismal.

I'm not sure where they stock them - or what's stocked around them - cause I usually send easy child to the store and he gets them. And I just know where they are and don't pay attention to where they are.

But, it's not the outside of the bag. It's when it's opened. I'm thinking whatever they're doing when they're making them is mingling or something.

TerryJ2

Hmm. I hate it when that happens.
I have to be careful of odd smells, too, because it can be a sign I'm getting a migraine. But yours sounds pretty obvious that it is the M&Ms.
Gosh, now I've got a craving ...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh gosh something I can actually explain.

One of my first jobs as a teenager was working in a s*ucker factory. We made Kiddi Pops - check the back of the bag; they are made in Dalton, OH.

Candy is made in "runs" meaning for the first run of the day we may put in rootbeer tack (tack is the term used for the process that results after syrup, sugar and flavoring is melted in a pressure cooker, and dumped into a machine) and the way candy is kept decent is that behind the rootbeer flavored tack they would made butterscotch. Something that would NOT be nasty should a few lollis get through with BOTH flavors. Fascinating really. One of the "easy" jobs in that factory was catching all the lollis that came on a mix run - and throwing them out, to be recycled and boiled (paper on, sticks in as they float to the top) and then skimmed to pour the "syrup" back into a boiler, mixed and used again. THIS is why you will NEVER see me eating any s*uckers. Once you see the stuff that is swept up, and dumped into a vat, then boiled - BLECK!

So a lot of time you will find - black cherry with a taste of raspberry. Cherry behind that, and on and on lemon after lime....etc.

I would imagine that the same happens with M&M's.

Just my thought - but actually if I found M&M's like that - I would call Mars Co. and tell them. They will take your name, address, and you will more than likely be asked for the code etc, and given /sent coupons or samples that are perfect.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Star, you are a wealth of information!!! I'm thinking maybe I've seen you on Jeopardy! I had a similar experience at a Dairy Queen. I ordered a chocolate ice cream cone and it tasted funny.......I finally figured out what it tasted like and it was strawberry, so guessed that before the chocolate ice cream, the strawberry was in the same "vat". Just was not what I expected. Mention it to the company and I would bet they give you something........

susiestar

Roll With It
I am quite SURE that if you call or email the company they will make it up to you. I have called many companies over substandard products - almsot every one of them will send you a coupon at the least.

I once opened a can of Juicy Juice concentrate (shelf stable - looks like a can of soda) and it FIZZED. It had fermented, possibly due to improper storage at the grocery store warehouse. I was rolling on the floor laughing - cause WHAT A CONCEPT! Mix your own wine!!! I was making the juice to serve to a group of kids though, and I really didn't want to get a group of 8 and under kids drunk. They sent a TON of coupons for all sorts of free stuff from Juicy juice to nestle baking products to candy to ice cream. Partly because the operator on the phone was laughing so hard with me - once she was sure I wasn't furious. If I had given it to the kids I would ahve been, but since I didn't it was jsut funny.

Anyway, it will be worth the call most likely. Cause who doesn't think their M&Ms should be manufactured to the highest quality standards?

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm with Star. I would guess that the batch those M&M's came from were made after a batch of the mint ones. husband used to work at Breyers and now I don't eat chocolate ice cream. (Not that I ever did much....just doesn't taste right to me)

For Breyers anyway, their chocolate is made, in part, from left overs of other runs. They strain out any chunks (nuts, fruit, etc.), dump in a bunch of chocolate and voila! Chocolate ice cream.

Definately contact Mars. You should get some good coupons!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
icky!!! are they the pink ones for Breast cancer awareness, cause then they would look like pepto too!

F

flutterbee

No, they weren't pink. LOL That *would* be odd.

I got a new bag. These are fine.

EJK

I've had this happen before. They are the regular milk-chocolate M&M's. For the longest time, I couldn't identify what the smelled like, but I've now identified as Pepto-Bismal. It's just a bag every once in a while.

They taste ok, but it sure takes the enjoyment out of eating them. I wonder what's causing them to smell like that. I opened the bag and there was the smell so it's not like someone here spilled Pepto-Bismal on them..

I just bought a bag and noticed that they smell like wintergreen. They are M&M peanut. I thought it was my imagination at first, but it's not. They definitely smell like wintergreen... very weird to say the least.

Wow, a blast from the past! Big Bad Kitty!...lol. This happened to me once as well anyway, I called the m and m company and they said the mint was most likely the flavor they made before that. They sent me coupons for free ones. Call there EJK, you'll get coupons

EJK

Wow, a blast from the past! Big Bad Kitty!...lol. This happened to me once as well anyway, I called the m and m company and they said the mint was most likely the flavor they made before that. They sent me coupons for free ones. Call there EJK, you'll get coupons

Thank you! I will that! I actually do not like the smell or taste of wintergreen. I ate whole bag of wintergreen candies when I was a kid and got soooooo sick, lol... thanks again!