My medication no longer available!

jbrain

Hi,
I got word from my pharmacy that the medication I take is going to be discontinued by the manufacturer. It is Estratest HS and I've been taking it for about 7 yrs to help with menopausal symptoms. I like it because it helps with the hot flashes and also has a little testosterone to help with my sex drive--before I was on it I not only had no sex drive but I actually was repulsed by the idea of sex--not good! I am seeing my Dr. in a couple of weeks but I was wondering if anyone here has taken an HRT medication they are happy with.
Thanks,
Jane

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Jane, I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to let you know I can empathize. For some odd reason, they discontinued making the generic inhaler I have used forever. Now I have to buy a named brand that of course my insurance makes me pay the highest co-pay for. Fun.

I hope you find something soon!

DammitJanet

Wow...I wonder why they did this. I had a friend once who used this medicine. I had tried to get my gyn to give me this because of the sex drive issue. Hmmm...wonder if there was a problem. Surely they make another form of this.

jbrain

MWM,
yes, it is estrogen and testosterone combined. I looked at an article on line that said they were discontinuing it for "business reasons," whatever that means!

I don't think there is a substitute for it but maybe I'll have to use another form of testosterone and some other estrogen drug. I hope my dr. will know something--she isn't the one who prescribed it originally though. I had seen one of her colleagues who suggested it--maybe I should switch to him, he seemed more interested in helping me with the sex drive problem than she did--figures, right?!
Jane

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I had a complete hysterectomy many years ago and went into overnight menopause. I tried every dang HRT pill and combination thereof and nothing seemed to help. At one point was at my GYN's office sobbing inconsolably because I'd had a dream the night before that my beloved Richard (Gere) had tried to seduce me and I told him I wasn't interested (!!!)- that's how nonexistent my sex drive was in those days.

The doctor's nurse suggested I try the patch because she'd had success with it. I now use the Estradiol patch, lowest dose. I change it twice a week. Now when Richard invades my dreams..... :cutie_pie:

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Suz - (that's too funny you hot little momma you)

There is a testosterone cream that you can have made in varying strengths at any compounding pharmacy. I use Black Cohosh and it works great for me. Haven't wanted to kill anything in nearly 9 months.

They do have that new thing out where it's bio-match. I think KJS was going to try that.

Hope you find some relief......

susiestar

Roll With It
I was browsing the Walmart pharmacy site because I am thinking of switching pharmacies. They carry a product that is estrogen and testosterone, i am thinking it is even generic. It would be good to look around on the internet and see if there are other estrogen/testosterone combinations that might fit your needs. Otherwise ask your pharmacist what other medications might you ask your doctor about.

jbrain

Thanks, Susiestar! I will browse that site too and it is a great idea to ask a pharmacist what other medication might be similar.
--Jane

jbrain

I found that there is a generic version of Estratest available. From remarks I read it seems that it works just the same as the brand name for some women but other women don't have good results with it. I guess you just have to try it and see. One woman said she decided to separate out her estrogen from testosterone medications and that is working for her.

Thanks so much for all your great advice, Ladies! I knew I could count on you, you are the best!

I'll let you know how I do.

Jane

susiestar

Roll With It
Just as an FYI, Walmart charge $9 per month for "Women's Medicine", the category this falls into. I don't know it the estratest is in their list, but it is worth looking for, in my opinion.

I have only EVER had 1 doctor insist on a brand name medication. Otherwise all my docs are fine with generics, and I always have the same reaction to the generic as to the brand name.

If you cannot get results from the estratest or the separate testosterone and estrogen, then consider having them compounded into a cream or whatever. Just be SURE to ask about the prices BEFORE you order the medications. I know that here a compounding pharmacist charges $30 on top of the other charges as a compounding fee. That is per prescription, not per person. They also are not covered by insurance. But they are an AWESOME resource to have.

If your doctor rx's the generic and you get medications by mail order, be aware that recently testosterone medications need a new rx every time. husband almost ran out on that one.

I hope this works out well for you.