My mom + my daughter = KABOOM!!!

nvts

If I may, I'd like to add a different slant on things.

People of our parents age were raised with totally different outlooks on life, kids and mental illness.

My Dad loves all 11 (soon to be 12) grandchildren. He had 5 daughters and one son. My Mom looked at my brother differently than she did her daughters. It's generational. She passed long before grandchildren came into the picture, but I know deep in my heart that the boys would be handled differently than the girls.

My evil sister treats (or used to until she was banned from my life) the kids with disabilities as if she's some sort of "learned drill-sargent". SHE knows that they're overindulged, spoiled brats that are being done a disservice by their pathetic parents.

But think about it, mental illness whether it be depression, or many others, in the past were swept under the rug and up until about 20 years (and that's being generous) were thought to be either a sham or attention-seeking behavior. Our parents missed the bus.

You're not gonna change Mom, Heather. It's pretty clear. However, parameters need to be set and unfortunately, you're the one who's going to have to spell it out. Make a list - a side by side comparison if you will - of the inequities that go on between Devon and Wynter. Hand it to mom or mail it and tell her that you love her as much as life itself, but she needs to recognize the inequities.

Keep in mind, if your mom was kicking you or Wynter with steel-toed boots on, you wouldn't think twice about telling her to knock her **** off. Don't accept it just because she's kicking you guys mentally (albeit unintentionally) rather than physically.

You're the Mom. You have every right to step on anyone's neck - whether it be Mom's, Wynter's or Devons - you went through the pain of labor - it's payback time!

Hugs to your heavy heart!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Heather,

I don't know what to say about your relationship with your Mom and Wynter OTHER than to tell you to stay out of it. It will be what it is. Wynter isnt a baby anymore and your Mom isn't going to change at this time in place.

Their relationship problems can be yours if you want them but I would literally tell each of them - in the same room - "Look, this is your Grandmother and this is YOUR Granddaughter - if you choose to agree to disagree fine, but from this point forward I truly don't want to hear another WORD about what you have to say about her and what you have to say about HER. I love you both, but YOUR inabilities to resolve whatever it is between the two of you that causes this friction is NO LONGER MY PROBLEM AND I AM POLITELY STEPPING OUT OF THE MIDDLE."

fini!

IT really can be that simple when you have two people in the same house that do not get along - their problems are theirs, not yours - but you can MAKE them yours by continually listening to the "after-burner" banter. Unless YOU take a stand and tell BOTH parties - NO MORE I MEAN IT - and then remind them when they start to complain about each other? This song and dance will continue - and make YOU crazy....and you aren't the one with issues.

JUST SAY NO......or NO MORE.

house of cards

I find myself being harder on my girls then my boys. It isn't fair or right and I fight it the best I can, but I personally identify with my girls because we are the same gender. I love all my kids the same but if 3 kids come running into the house 1 being my daughter, she is the first person I will scold. You have reminded me just how unfair it is and I will redouble my efforts to be fair...but it isn't out of favorism with me, it involves how I identify with her as a female.

janebrain

Star said what I was thinking, only much better! Yes, I would remove myself from the middle and that does mean they cannot complain about each other to you after they've been together. It will probably take several reminders but I think it can be done.
Jane