My rheumy visit

susiestar

Roll With It
I saw my rheumatologist yesterday. He explained a LOT of things. I am somewhat frustrated because I wanted "magic" results from the Vit D shots. I know, and knew, it was unreasonable. But I WANTED it!

I asked about medications like fosamax or boniva. He explained that with-o enough Vit D those medications would cause incredible pain in the muscles. Calcium would be blocked in the bone, which is good because you need strong bones. But it is bad also, because you need it in your muscles also. He said that it would keep the muscles from getting the calcium they need to function and the pain would he hideous. And he used the word hideous.

He also addressed the IBS issues, for which I am eternally grateful.

At this point, until I have Vit D working, we are in a holding pattern. He is hoping that my body will take the Vit D I inject and convert it iinto a usealbe form. It needs to be activated somehow in my body.

If my body won't activate it then I may need daily vit D shots to copewith that. The activated form doesn't last long in your body.

He says once we have the Vit D issue addressed we will go back through the DMARDs (disease modifying anntirheumatic illnesses) to see if any of htem will FINALLY work for me).

That sounds promising. At least it leaves room for some HOPE! :D

Sending hugs to all!

F

flutterbee

I so understand the frustration. And I've only been dealing with this for a fraction of the time that you have.

I hope that the Vitamin D starts to work and you can then find a DMARD that works.

Are you taking calcium supplements with the vitamin D?

(((hugs)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
FINALLY SOME ROOM FOR HOPE -

I'm glad as Hope is a real pain when she doesn't get noticed. lol -

Fingers crossed for some healing powers.....:redface:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm still glad for you that you finally got the shots!

I hope this works out. At least the doctor has a plan!

Jena

hi

it does sound like a good plan. hopefully it will do what it should do. wow you got alot accomplished that day. good for you. you needed some relief and some plan that makes sense.

((hugs)))