My sick Steely pup

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Steely, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    So, yes, one of my dogs is my screen name, namesake. Actually, it is the other way around. Matt named the dog Steele, and then I took his namesake here ~ none the less ~ he is sick and I am super worried.

    He is only 18 months, but all of the sudden he started having massive bloody diarreah. I came home today, already stressed and worried about Matt, and was greeted with many messes of gross, disgusting, bloody diarreah all over the floor. :sick: I cleaned it up, vomiting, while calling the vet.

    (As I opened the back door to get the dogs, so I can take Steele to the vet, I see the other dog Diesel eating the head off of a squirrel. I vomited again. Seriously????)

    So anyway, Steely Bear is really sick, he has a high fever and they are not sure what is wrong. I called the vet back again tonight to see what other possibilities it could be, but they are kinda sticking with maybe it is something he ate that caused a bacterial infection, or strept, or something like that.

    But you know, after the year I have had ~ I was just sitting in that little doggy waiting room thinking about H., and then Matt ~ and just catastrophizing out the wazoo.

    And then, you remember, the crack head neighbor that said Steele had killed her puppy, but acted like she could care less???? I started worrying that maybe her kid's (as in 30 something drug addicted kids) poisoned Steele out of revenge. (Even though I am positive Steele did not kill their puppy - I truly believe they had a violent episode and blamed it on my dog - I don't let my dogs out when I am not home - so what they are saying is impossible.)


    The vet did lot's of blood work, and gave him several shots, and I will know tomorrow. I just cannot have anything else go wrong. I really, really, can't.

    So I am doing that chicken liver dance that my Steely will be OK. He is passed out on the floor at the moment, drained from it all. I feel so bad for him.
    (And he really, really, smells - he needs a bath but I do not have it in me to stress him out anymore.:sick:)
  2. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Awwww. Poor lil puppy baby. :(

    Yes, I know he's 18 mos old, but to me dogs are babies until they're two.

    Keeping fingers crossed, sending mega good juju, and saying a prayer Steele is on the mend.

  3. totoro

    totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

    Oh little Steele Bear, get better for M and your Momma.
    Doing a little soft quiet dance.
  4. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Oh, Steely, I'm sorry- for both you and him. Did he have the complete set of puppy shots? I'm hoping it isn't parvo but I would think a vet could have told you that pretty quickly. I hope the tests provide answers and lead to a solution, quickly.
  5. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    Poor baby! Crossing fingers, rattling beads, and dancing!
  6. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Sure hope no one poisoned your poor little pup! Hope tomorrow brings better news...
  7. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    My first dog as an adult, my sweet Brandy, got violently ill overnight for no explicable reason. The docs *hoped* it was parvo because that tended to be a one-time-only virus.....turned out to be an acute pancreatitus attack that she had off and on the rest of her life. Bloody vomiting and bloody diarrhea are major signs of both.

    I became an expert on pancreatitus. Let me know if that's what it turns out to be and I'll fill you in. They didn't think Brandy would live to be one.....and she lived to be 13.5.

  8. donna723

    donna723 Well-Known Member

    I'm assuming they did check him for worms, right? Some kinds of worms can cause the same symptoms and it can come on very quickly. My Katy came down with the same thing and it scared me silly .. turned out to be hook worms!

    Is there any way he could have swallowed a piece of a toy? You might want to check any toys to see if there are pieces missing.
  9. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    Sending gentle hugs to you and to Steely Bear. Please keep us posted.
  10. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Sending big hugs to Steeley and Steeley Bear - sounds like you both need 'em.
  11. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Oh, I'm sorry Steely.
    Hope that Steely Bear feels better very soon.

    Joining Toto in the soft gentle get-well-puppy dance, and sending big hugs to both of you.

  12. 'Chelle

    'Chelle Active Member

    So sorry your baby is sick. Hope the vet finds the problem and he's better quickly. Being from a pet crazy family, I know how any animal becomes one of the kids.
    {{HUGS}} to you both.