My Sister Threw Me A MAJOR Curveball...Good Grief!

DDD

This is just a vent post for me. I am honestly shocked by my big Sister. She and her husband have evolved into very dedicated party followers. My husband and I avoid political conversations with them...and they do live three hours away so it hasn't been hard to just "change the subject" on the phone.

Every year we call each other on our respective birthdays and sing Happy Birthday. She has a lovely voice and I sound like some unidentified animal, lol, but we have not missed a year. Her birthday was on Election Day. Sigh. I called mid afternoon to "sing" and there was no answer. I called yesterday and the phone let me leave a message. "I'm at work...call me if you can stand to hear me sing...giggle." I didn't hear back. This morning I called. My sister said "I don't want to hear you sing. I don't want to talk to you. People like you have ruined out Country. Bye!"

OMG! I'm in the state of shock. husband thinks she will call me within 24 hours to apologize. I think it will be over a week and maybe much longer. How did politics get so magnified in her mind that she would blame her baby sister for the future of the Nation? Eh Gods. DDD

PS: NO, I swear, this is not a post about politics. It's about sisters!

Nancy

I'm so sorry DDD. It is so foolish to allow that to come between family. My cousin (by marriage) posted something directly to me on her fb and demanded that I stop posting about the election. I replied to her that it was my facebook and if she didn't want to see my posts in her newsfeed she could "hide" them. She responded that I gave her a great idea and that she blocked me. To blame someone for ruining our country because of their political views is so ignorant. We have many family members (actually almost all) on my husband's side that vehemently disagree with us on politics, we are all use to it, we discuss politics sometime and still remain freinds.

I'm very sorry your sister hurt you like this and really hope she realizes what she did and apologizes.

Nancy

Calamity Jane

LOL, DDD!

The afternoon after the election, the stock market dived about 300 pts. My mom said, "See what THE GUY YOU VOTED FOR did!"

busywend

I have never seen it so emotional though! I blame media...all of it...news, radio and print.

Sorry, DDD, hopefully she will calm down soon and realize she can not blame you! Hugs! I have family tensions now because of politics, too. But, if it were my sister.....i would be terribly upset, too. :-(

Californiablonde

The election this year has made certain people particularly ugly, I've noticed. One of my good childhood/facebook friends posted that she refuses to get over it and she is going to go off on whoever tells her to just forget about it. When I asked her what she was supposed to get over, she jumped down my throat. Another friend saw my question and told me that my friend was talking about Obama winning the election. She of course wanted Romney. She's still not over it. I agree with everybody else. She seriously needs to get over the fact that he won, because there's not a damn thing that anybody can do about it now. The best we can do is pray for him that he makes wise decisions. She did not take that very well. Said she had a right to be upset and nobody should tell her how to feel. So I backed off. I was just trying to be helpful. Anyway, your sister will get over it eventually so try not to take it personally. The election this year is just a sore spot with many.

klmno

It's sounds like she's crossed the line and can now be called fanatical. Try not to let it bother you- the reflection is on her, in my humble opinion.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
LOL, DDD!

The afternoon after the election, the stock market dived about 300 pts. My mom said, "See what THE GUY YOU VOTED FOR did!"

This is exactly what my coworker said to me!! lol.

DDD, I am so very sorry - I can see why this would be so hurtful to you. Will you reach out to her in a week if you don't hear from her?

buddy

I personally believe that people who truly love our country are those that respect our core rights. Everyone has a right to their opinion and it should be celebrated that everyone can openly share . Making it personal is way over the top and just mho, indicative of some other problem going on. I know you know its not you so now she needs to work out her issues. So unfair that you are her scapegoat.

I hope she sees the light soon. Family comes first. She's missing out on an awesome baby sister!

DDD

H&R I'm not sure if I'll call or not. Chances are I probably won't call until the end of the month. I have multiple medical appts this month, my whole business software system shut down on 10/12 and the experts can't get it going, I serve Jury Duty next week...and then there's Thanksgiving. I'm coping with about as much as I can right now..sigh.

I do worry about her. She's a 77 year old dynamo who had a mastectomy right around the time I had the colon cancer surgery. She and her husband have hyper focused on politics and I'm afraid she "may" have opted to "go off" on her children who don't agree with her. That would be tragic. I tend to think it best to just give her time to chill. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I flat out refuse to discuss elections. I have had to tell one person that I know is a volunteer working at elections that if they EVER again brought up my voting record then I would file a complaint. This person has actually gone and looked up to see what elections I did and did not vote in. It is HUGELY inappropriate for anyone to do this, and I haven't had any conversation witht his person since then. I just felt violated when they started telling me about this, and I still feel violated.

I grew up with parents who would discuss BOTH sides of an election, or all parties. I was taught that simply asking which party someone is for is a huge violation of that person's rights. There is no way I would discuss my choices, and even husband and I rarely discuss our opinions. husband agrees with me, and when we discuss elections with our kids we are careful to give equal treatment to the options in the election so that our children can make their own choices and will not be bound to our beliefs. husband and I have NEVER asked each other how we vote, and we loathe the political fanatics who seem to be rather rabid to us.

I honestly don't know why people are so upset by this election, nor do I want to. I am sorry for those of you who have been the victim of the rabid fanatics.

DammitJanet

LOL...This year was really bad. I was sick of it before it even started. Personally I wasnt really happy with our choices at all. Im still in a huff that the guy from law and order didnt win!

Obviously my choice didnt win but I am not gonna argue with folks about who did win. I will respect the office because that is what I am supposed to do as a citizen. I have another 4 years to try again. This is the process here and while it isnt perfect, its the best in the world I believe. (God Bless America, land that I love....lol anyone hear the music in the background?)

I am certainly not going to ruin a friendship or lose a family member simply because of the way one voted. Frankly, considering the electoral college and all that, I doubt one vote made all that much difference. DDD, I dont think you were the one that swung FL. Nancy, you could have been the one though in OH because Cleveland is such an important county...lol.

Actually though, I do think that there are a few things that people just shouldnt talk about in mixed company: politics, religion and abortion. You are bound to get into an argument that will end up with people not speaking to one another.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh DDD, you sure don't need any more stress now. I'm sorry your sister is acting this way. It reminds me of something an old roommate used to say a lot, "the definition of fanaticism: Doubling your efforts after you've forgotten your aim." (((HUGS))))

Malika

I understand how hurt you feel DDD. I think your sister has gone temporarily mad... she will come out of the temporary insanity, hopefully.

svengandhi

Wow, I thought people mellowed with age. I remember that after my first election, I did not speak with my parents for one month because they voted for the other candidate. They learned, however, and did not vote for that guy again, LOL!

This was a divisive election. Due to Sandy and my family having a generator, we wound up with a houseful of our sons' friends, some of whom were, like difficult child, first time voters. Not all of them had the same opinion. We had some interesting conversations as we watched the returns about the purpose of the Electoral College, what the candidates were espousing, how the votes were stacking up and the like. The main thing I tried to impress on them was to respect one another's opinions and that friendship and commonality with each other in day to day is more important. My treatment of my parents after that election was not one of my finest moments but it was probably a reaction to what I perceived as a betrayal - they voted for the other party. One boy did comment that he didn't understand how a certain friend could have voted for a particular candidate, but he said it only to me and not to his friend. Something that I've never done before was channel surfing while watching the returns. It was fascinating and I will do it again. All of the boys picked up on Karl Rove's reactions... whether they agreed with him or not.

The funniest note was that difficult child worked as a poll watcher and he really enjoyed it. He said he voted for his Boy Scout mentor for president because he thinks he's the best man for the job! The young man in question does enjoy politics but he's not old enough yet.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OMG, wow.

OK - many people know my husband is REALLY REALLY into politics. And his views and mine are similar, mine are just a lot QUIETER. I don't agree with everyone I am facebook friends with either. And, as it turns out, I don't agree with my own Mom.

However... The other night (about 10 days ago), father in law was over as were my parents, and he went into a rant about one of the candidates. I didn't get my mouth open fast enough - my mother shut him DOWN. (Was highly amusing to me.) I then stood up, nursing baby in my arms, and announced that Meggie was too young to listen to all the political diatribes and so my home was officially a politics-discussion-free zone. Mom smiled, husband rolled his eyes, Dad grinned and father in law... LEFT.

The day before the election, mother in law tried to convince husband to vote for her candidate because she didn't like his.

husband still doesn't know who I actually voted for - and he has not asked. Works better that way.

Kathy813

Staff member
A close friend of mine is about as far as to the other side of my politics as one can get. I figured one of us would be upset after the election. Another friend of both of ours is in the middle. She sent the following quote in an email to both of us:

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~Thomas Jefferson

Kathy