My Son has explosive temper tantrums that involve Hitting me spitting on me throwing objects at me while saying he hates me and calling me names telling me that he is the boss and im not in charge of him. At school he is basically the same way he runs off school property and hits the students and he also gets touchy feely with the girls there. His dr. put him on clonidine .1 but that was just to make him sleep at night. I also got him into a therapist that said that he qualified for there services but they have yet to help with school like they said they were going to. today at school he was screaming at the top of his lungs at the principle there. They said they had to do an intervention what ever that means. By the way he is signed up for an IEP but they havent done anything about that either. Still searching for all the answers that noone seems to have. frustrated and alone.....:sad-very: What do i do?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello and welcome--

First, please dry your tears and know that you are not alone! We are all parents of difficult children. We will help any way we can and always offer advice and support and a virtual shoulder to lean on if you need it.

Can you share a little more information about your son? How old is he? What grade is he in? When was he first diagnosed and by whom?

Any information you can provide will be helpful...

--DaisyFace

He is 6 yrs. old and was diagnosed by his child psychiatrist with post traumatic stress disorder - adhd - conduct disorder- binge eating disorder - phonological disorder - developmental coordination disorder - learning disorders - reactive attachment disorder or disturbance of attachment.
He is a kindergartner and He is on clonidine .1 mg. for sleep disorder.

nuone

Hi Chubbysanta - welcome and warm hugs to you. You are not alone, even though you feel that way a lot. This is a lovely place to land. Not been here that long myself, but can say already that I have found great comfort in this site - just knowing that there are others going through the same things as you are and that they REALLY understand what it is all about and give encouragement and great advice or suggestions. Have a 16 yr old son who has given me 16 years on the hop..ADHD, ODD, CD and all that heartache, drama, roller-coaster ride and yes, good times too, that goes with it. Rooting for you Chubbysanta!

wakeupcall

It's okay to vent here. Many of us have been in your shoes at one time or another. It sounds as if you need alot of help....and we're here to lean on. Please give us a bit more information and we'll help you sort it out and hopefully send you off in a good direction. It will help if you give us a profile and that can be done by clicking on "User CP" at the top of the page and it will direct you in how to do that.

Welcome. We will help all we can.....

update just got off the phone with his doctor and I need to see his regular doctor to get him put on some more medications for his behavior issues at home and at school hopefully it will help a little bit. I also found out that the reason he quit throwing his temper tantrum today was because he complained to his princable that he was hungry and the princeable fed him another breakfast even though he has eating disorders where he is constintlly hungry all the time and he never gets full. suspect pradar-willis syndrome also binge eating disorder. after the princable fed him the second time he had a great rest of the day. we also have an appointment tonight to get him supports in school such as an aide. also filling out social security paperwork tomarrow which if he gets on that it should be a lifesavor. Also thank you guys for listening to me cause i felt that there was noone out there i could talk to.
Most people think im the crazy one and my son is fine but they don't see the child behind closed doors away from public view. So everyone is learning that what i say holds alot of weight now that he is in the public eye and showing off his issues. Thanks for listening guys appriecate it!:D

BusynMember

Hi there and welcome.

Can you please tell us more about your son so we can direct you the best resources we know? Here are a few questions that can help us help you.

1/Has he ever had a neuropsychologist or any sort of 6-10 hour intensive evaluation other than at school?

2/Are there any psychiatric or substance abuse problems on either side of his family tree?

3/How was his early development such as eye contact, cuddling, temperament, hitting his milestones, speech, did he play appropriately with toys, can he have a give and take conversation, does he relate appropriately to his same age peers (like in school)? Is he sensitive to light, noise, touch, certain foods? Does he have any strange quirks? Does he seem sort of "out of it" sometimes, especially in new situations? How does he transition from one activity to another?

Any siblings? Mom at home too? Any abuse in the background?

You're not alone anymore.

He has been refered to a genetic tester not to a neroligist.
he has support from a clinician and a psyhcoligist.
I have signed him up for an IEP team at school.
He has a regular doctor.
I gave a list of the disorders he was diagnosed with.
He lives with me and stepmom and his sister.
quarks - spiting, hitting, throwing objects, calling names, spiting his tongue out , peeing in his room, vindictive, drinks toilet water, runs away, leaves school property, disturbs other students , talks when the teacher is talking,
Wont sit down in class, runs up and down school hallways, gets touchy feelly with the girls in his class, scratching, tears wallpaper off the walls.

Hope this helps you out!
Thanks again

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just adding in my welcome. Glad you found us. You are so not alone. That first sentence sounds so like my difficult child at that age. He behaved the same way at school as well. Has he officially qualified for the iep or are they in the evaluation process?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
You have your hand full with your little guy. I know full well many of these behaviors - my twins arrived in my home at the age of 6 & displayed a lot of what you're talking about.

As school has started concentrate on the IEP. A neuropsychologist evaluation would be a good starting point when it comes to sorting out many of the issues your son is displaying.

So many of the symptoms you describe overlap into so many diagnosis's we see here. My twins "binged" for lack of a better term or hoarded food because they feared they would go hungry again. I don't know if your difficult child is adopted or not, but this is just an example of overlapping symptoms. Neither of my difficult children have eating disorders - it's part of the Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).

We are here to listen, offer our experiences & to share our combined wisdom here. I'm glad you found us.

TerryJ2

Welcome, Chubbysanta. You have definitely come to the right place.
I'm glad that you've started the ball rolling in regard to an IEP and interventions.
If the genetic testing for Prader-Willi comes back positive, it will help with certain interventions, but I'm wondering if your child doesn't have additional issues, especially because of his overreacting, and anger. You cannot usually do genetic testing for those. You will have to try different medications and lots of intensive talk therapy.

I am curious as to what your son's early behavior was like, when he was a baby. Did he cry all the time? Rarely sleep? Sleep too much? Scream instead of talk? Were his developmental milestones on time?

I'm guessing that drinking toilet water could be either great thirst from a readily available source. :), as you mentioned, he's never sated, and also, he may be copying from any dogs in the house.
A couple of people on here have kids with-Prader-Willi so I hope they join this thread. They may be able to offer suggestions. I found some interesting info on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader-Willi_syndrome.

Let us know how it goes.

Me and his mother are divorced. The mother has had a history of abusing him and neglecting him. wont go into details with it cause she would reconize it pretty quick. She did really awful things to him that would make a sane person wonder what was she thinking. I think the toilet water thing is because of this. I don't think he got enough to drink or lack of water, food as well but im still not sure. As for his milestones, he was delayed across the board. We have no dogs in this house. When he was a baby he hardly ever cryed and he didn't sleep much.He would try to talk but his speech is really bad so it just sounded like baby sounds. And his Dr. is trying to rule out pradar-willis because he thinks in order to have pradar-willis his privates would have to be messed up. like half boy half girl parts. But im going to see if a genetic tester will test to see if he is missing chromosome 15 which is an indicater of pradar- willis at least if he he has it then i can check it off my list.

Thanks and i hope so to
3/How was his early development such as eye contact, cuddling, temperament, hitting his milestones, speech, did he play appropriately with toys, can he have a give and take conversation, does he relate appropriately to his same age peers (like in school)? Is he sensitive to light, noise, touch, certain foods? Does he have any strange quirks? Does he seem sort of "out of it" sometimes, especially in new situations? How does he transition from one activity to another?

eye contact was kinda there, yep he was a cuddler, easilly angered, delayed in all milstones, speech was really bad, he did play appropriatlly with toys, he can have a give and take conversation now not then, I think he relates pretty well with other kids he has 2 friends at school hoping this is true anyway, yes he is sensitive to light, strange quirks hmmm... he says her instead of she umm.. really figity fingers have to be doing something , he is really bad with transistions really bad any new situation causes a huge blow up

I hope this helps you thx again

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Prader-Willi boys do NOT have "male/female" genitals (hermaphrodism). They have smaller than normal testicles.

Interestingly, Prader-Willi children initially have very "floppy" muscle tone and have trouble eating at first. Many of them are "failure to thrive" babies.\

The ravenous appetite (caused by the part of the brain that tells us we have had enough to eat and turns off hunger isn't working)

This is a rough diagnosis to live with. Prader Willi sufferers very often require tightly supervised institutional living for life (special group homes, etc) as that is the only way to keep them safe from their own appetites.

Otherwise, they not only become morbidly obese, but will eat garbage, just about anything, and can become very ill from that.

PW kids show varying signs of learning difficulties, raging (over food), etc.

To make things even harder, PW kids have a different, slower metabolism, so actually need only about half the calories to maintain healthy weight that a normal person would.

I don't understand why, if PW is suspected, they don't just run the blood work.

If you Google Prader-Willi Syndrome, you will find a lot of info, including support groups and the like.

yep you are right I "The Father" used to work in a group home. I worked with physically aggressive mentally disabled there. I worked with the oldest living pradar-willis client so I have lots of experience with this type of syndrome.
I'm just sad that i spent 3 years training myself and actually have to use my training with my own son it's really heartbreaking. At least at my job I could go home at the end of my shift and now its like i never leave work at all. I just hope its not pradar willis but even with my experience i know its a high possability. So thxs for helpin i appriciate it cross fingures its not!:anxious:

graceupongrace

Most people think im the crazy one and my son is fine but they don't see the child behind closed doors away from public view.

That sounds familiar! Many of us have been there done that (been there done that).

Ignore those people. Your difficult child is fortunate to have such a caring, concerned dad.

Welcome.

nuone

Agree with Graceupongrace. Well done - difficult child is very lucky to have such a caring dad - have found that dad's somehow distance themselves from these issues. (generally speaking) You are right in the "behind closed doors" syndrome.... My difficult child is a master at duplicity. In fact most don't even know that he has problems, (omg!!) or what he is capable of - and that includes some extended family members.

p.s. Love your avatar - it is just so typical of how we all feel at times.

Last edited: