My Son is hearing noises

I

iloveturtles

I have not posted for a couple of years because things were going smoothly. My son is now 14, and a freshman in high school. This first quarter has not gone so well, but we are working on it.

The school psychologist called today saying she needed to talk to me about my son. I called her back, and she said my son told her that this morning he heard someone screaming/yelling in his head. He knew it was in his head because when he looked around the classroom everyone else was doing their work. Also during PE he said it felt like someone put their hand on his shoulder, but when he looked no one was near him.

I have called and left a message for the psychologist we saw two weeks ago, and are seeing on Wednesday.

Should I just wait for her response? It isn't happening anymore, but he feels "weird"

So glad you are here.

Wiped Out

Staff member
iloveturtles-I remember you. Sorry you need to be back here. I haven't really had any experience with something like this but I think I would call again; I'm the type that always would rather be safe than sorry.

tiredmommy

(((Hugs))) I can imagine just how stressful this turn of events is for you. Is your son on any medications? Any history of bipolar in the family tree? Any history of schizophrenia in the family? How about epilepsy or seizure disorder? My only experience as a parent with similar circumstances happened a few years ago when Duckie thought she was hearing someone "whisper" to her in her bedroom. This was happening just before she received her sensory processing disorder diagnosis and treatment. It turned out that her hearing was really out of whack (she was hearing water in the pipes of our boiler heating system), and we were fortunate that the voices "disappeared" upon treatment.

I think I would ask to be referred to a psychiatrist in this instance, since it's possible he may end up needing a prescription for an anti-psychotic medication. The good news is that your son has been forthcoming with these symptoms so he can get help sooner rather than later, which tends to have a much better outcome. Please keep us updated.

buddy

I'd call again because I'm not patient with stuff like that. When my son was feeling "fake " I almost didn't want to know, Know what I mean?? But after years we finally found out it was seizures. It's so frightening for them and my son said he'd like to die to get rid of it. Poor kids, not like they don't have enough challenges!

BusynMember

I don't have experience with that either, but I'd actually want to take this symptom to a psychiatrist rather than the psychologist who doesn't like labels. Sometimes mental illness comes on suddenly in the teens and I'd want an expert to see my child. Hugs to you and your son. Hope you find answers.

JJJ

There are many, many reasons for hallucinations. Eeyore often hears his name being called, occassionally has internal conversations with Bob (psychiatric testing says Bob is what Eeyore has named his conscience) and sometimes feels a presence. The psychiatrist/therapist determined that these were manifestations of his anxiety and we know when they are happening that we need to drop his stress level quickly. Tigger sometimes hears noise (just a general static roar) if he has been having a lot of micro-seizures. So we have to decrease triggers or increase medications.

It has to be freaking him (and you) out pretty badly. Hope the psychiatrist calls back soon.

I

iloveturtles

Thank y. ou for all the replies. I went with my own gut feeling, and called the advice nurse and talked with a crisis person in the mental health department. I have been advised to call in the morning and ask for an urgent psychiatrist appointment. I have updated my signature to current information. We have a new psychologist and a new medical system we are trying to work through. I will be able to sleep tonight.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Good job, you followed your gut and now you can sleep. You did all the right things, please keep us posted. Sending you caring hugs and prayers that answers and solutions happen quickly................

flutterby

Fly away!
My daughter started hearing her name being called in school and occasionally hearing noises or whispers in the house. Once she freaked out about all of the bugs on the living floor, but there weren't any. It was intermittent for a long time and we blamed it on anxiety. She is now 17 and it became constant about a year or so ago - not so much constant, but more like every day, multiple times a day. She was terrified. I couldn't even go to bed before she did. Her diagnosis is Psychotic Disorder not otherwise specified (she also had a lot of paranoia and thought people could read her thoughts). But there are a lot of reasons it could be happening.

JJJ

I'd also strongly suggest getting him into his regular medical doctor as well for a complete checkup. There are several physical illnesses/issues that can cause hallucinations as well.

When is the last time he had a medication change? Or took any new medication? Antibiotics, anything?

I

iloveturtles

So we have an appointment tomorrow at 9:30 am. I am holding on, and he is pretty calm. Well, we were wanting to get an appointment with a psychiatrist anyways. I guess we are just getting their faster anyways.
My son just had an exam a couple of weeks ago, but I will follow up on the idea of having the physical checked as well.

InsaneCdn

We've done the medical run-down multiple times... it is always worth doing when there are new symptoms. For us, the medical side always came up clean, but... that was not a guarantee.

TerryJ2

Hi, iloveturtles. So sorry you had to come back but so glad you did!

I am glad that your son is calm, and that he told teachers what was going on. That is very helpful! He has no idea what is going through your mind right now (the panic! because of possible diagnosis) but that is a good thing.

There are many things that could be causing these issues. I have felt someone's hand on my shoulder but I also have nerve issues caused by bone spurs and arthritis and the feeling comes and goes. That's just one of a zillion things it could be.

But the fact that he almost paired it with-the person yelling ... and then he looked around the classroom ... that's scary. Of course, a cpl of dxes come to mind immediately, but it's way too early to tell until he is thoroughly testsed. It is VERY good that he looked around the classroom to do a reality check. I applaud him for his calm and reasoned approach.

I hope that the dr leaves no stone unturned with-exams and tests.

Fingers crossed. And many hugs.

Yes, thinking of you here. My son heard voices while on a particular medication. He is afraid of having that happen again, as it was frightening. Since that time -- about a year ago -- we have been called to his school because they have found him talking to himself.

We see it fairly often at home, too, but only when he is alone and does not think we are watching. He said he is just "talking out loud" but it looks like he is having conversations with someone. Scary. We are waiting for a neuro appointment, as he has not been able to tolerate psychiatric medications at all -- makes him hallucinate more, he says.

I can tell you to ask a lot of questions to the docs you see....the first thing three docs wanted to do was put him on antipsychotics....before they even did testing. Also, I second the person who mentioned anxiety....after it happened the first time -- which was a horrific screaming, he said, my son was so afraid of it happening again, that he walked around expecting it to happen, and that made him anxious. It also helped when we talked in depth about everything -- every sound he heard, if he saw anything, what he was doing when he heard, how it made him feel, what he did after. Talking about it in detail made him feel better. I hope it goes well for you guys.