my son is hearing voices

PiscesMom

Thank you all! I had no idea what to do! Got back from ER, where he voluntarily went. (He historically was very treatment resistant; there is only one medication, weed of course, etc)
He is in a 5150 hold, three days. He was surprised I couldn't hear the voices as well in triage.
This is hours past my bedtime but wanted to give an update. I wonder what it is like to hear voices?? How scary it must be.

pigless in VA

PM, I am very proud of you. I feel fortunate that I happened to logon just when you were having this crisis. I hadn't been on the board all day. I know how scary it is and I also know that when mental illness is involved the sane person needs a lot of support. You were brilliant!

For the future, dig around and see if your city or county has a mental health crisis number. Those people helped me far more than my husband's psychiatrist and psychologist. Of course, if he escalates too much the police must be called. I think it is better to avoid them if the person is cooperative. I am very proud of your son for being cooperative.

AppleCori

Hi, Pisces

Just saw this.

I am so glad your son is in the hospital!

I hope that he will be open to medication and therapy. Maybe this will be the catalyst that propels him into getting help and stopping the self-medicating.

Depending on the diagnosis, he may be eligible for more govt. services.

Let us know how he is doing, whenever you get the chance!

Apple

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks for the update PiscesMom.....I hope you were able to get some sleep. It was a scary night, but you handled it very well, your son is safe now. One day at a time......keep us posted, we're circling the wagons around you now.....

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
So great that you got real time advice here. So happy your son is where he needs to be.

You are an awesome mom!
:bravo:

seek

Hi PM - sorry to read about this. In CA there is also a 14 day hold (after the 3 day, I think) and then a 30 (I think). If you are connected with NMBI now might be a good time to engage with them to see what is involved in getting the longer holds.

Sending good vibes for a positive outcome.

Albatross

Reading along and adding my wagon to the circle, Pisces. How terrifying for him. I'm glad he's safe and I hope he plugs into some effective treatment. You handled that like a world-class champion mom!

PiscesMom

Thanks you all! Yes, it was great to come here, because there was no way i could hang up on him, he was so scared, i was tired and confused on what to do. He has been admitted to a hospital - locked facility. no shoelaces allowed, etc. He went voluntarily. He wants care. He wants inpatient.
I slept in til 10!! usually i wake up naturally at 6.
I am afraid to be hopeful after all i have been thru - but he is taking responsibility for his mental health. Earlier that day he was telling me "i think i have a real problem w reality ...i am alone too much...i really love you and I'm scared..."
I will know more Monday, they said. I hope they let him stay if that is what he wants.
The funny thing is - must be a coincidence - I had just decided to focus on me, my long ignored emotional health, my physical heath as during these years of crisis, I developed high blood pressure. I stopped blaming myself for how things turned out. (I am very self critical) I let go of him with love, in my head. And now he is stepping up. He is 18; this is all voluntary.
Again, afraid to be hopeful. But he did a very mature thing, realizing he needs care, and telling the doctors that.

Copabanana

Agree with everybody else.

So encouraging and hopeful he is self aware to the extent he can be and cooperative. I admire both of you.

Last edited:
I am so glad you were able to find help for him. My daughter hears voices too and they range from very sweet and encouraging to downright scary. My daughter will often use a demonic voice at times that sends chills up my spine.

My daughter, before she refused to take it, was very much helped by a drug called lithium. Most of the voices went away while she was on it.

Hope they find something for your son that is just as effective. At least with your son he realizes these voices are not right. My daughter says her voices are her friends and encourages it by having long conversations with them.

PiscesMom

I talked to my son just now. He is at a post-acute residential place. He says we (family) is "literally the most important thing." He also said his mental health was more important than his plants. He wants to get therapy, etc. Even family therapy. He is no longer hearing voices. I think it was marijuana, not anything more. He is wired a bit differently.
Could this really be happening? That we will be a family again? Whatever happens, he knew to call me when he was in trouble. He said he thought when he was 18, he would instantly become an adult. Now he knows that's not true, so he wants guidance.
He has been kind of a nightmare since he was 13 1/2 - in and out of residentials, probation, isolative, uncaring of others. And now ...he's back.
Just like that, maybe this nightmare is over?

Proceed with caution is my humble advice. I truly hope it's that simple, easy. A lot of times, at least in my daughters case, are actions meant to make us feel they are gaining control, that they realize what's going on, that they love us.

He is agreeing to treatment and that is fantastic! Step in the right direction. But as with my daughter, it only took her getting fired from her job, to go back to all that was before...including stopping the very medication that helped her.

Be strong and be hopeful, watchful. (((HUGS)))

PiscesMom

Actually - he wants to get out now, and my daughter thinks he is totally manipulating me. Telling me everything i want to hear. And I think she is right, and I feel very stupid. He lives at my ex's and that is totally dysfunctional. And my ex texted that he can't have my son back tomorrow - then he said he was "confused" and was going to shut off his phone. He is not totally well mentally. My ex is very depressed, takes a lot of medications, uses a lot of weed, and just is vaguely well meaning, but those two together is not good.
But my son can't come to my house, because my younger daughter - well both of them don't like him. I am going to call his social worker.
Tell her that right now, there is no place for him to go.
At least then he won't get out sooner than he should. And he is actually completely dependent. He has never held a job. So it is not like he can get out without a parent.
I need to make coffee, just wanted to say I think I am super gullible. When my daughter said that, I knew she was right. He had a real scare, and ran to me. And now, he's getting better, and just wants to get out. He already started asking about his plants.
"People don't change overnight," she said.
And now he wants to get out early. How is that putting his health first, like he said was his new priority?
Maybe, maybe not, but I am going to make a call in a bit.
And how he reacts into not getting help checking out early will be telling.

It's exactly what my daughter put me through. They behave, do all the things you want to hear, until they get what they want then, see the big change??? Right back to where you were to begin with....nothing changed at all except, they used us.

Good job on calling the social worker, let them handle him from now on...not you. Flip the whole thing around and YOU shut off your phone, no contact unless the social worker needs you to be involved.

It's so hard, I so get all of this. For years and years I blamed everything on my daughter having mental issues, she could not fend for herself, she needed me. Well she checked herself into a homeless shelter two weeks ago, has found others like her to help her and she is surviving, without my help. As of four days ago she called me out of the blue, it went to voicemail as I blocked her number. Messaged her on FB messenger and the conversation started out sweet, until I started calling her out on a few things....then she flipped it just like that being rude and nasty. I think she was calling for money, told her no, and since then she blocked my husband and I from Facebook. I held my ground and look what happened. She did not get what she wanted and seeks to put herself out of our lives. Fine by me, I am very happy and stress free.