my son is hearing voices

PiscesMom

he thinks there is a chip in his head and the government is listening to his thoughts. i am on the phone w him. any advice? he is not high.

PiscesMom

he wants to come over but he can't - i promised my younger daughter that he wouldn't - that she was safe in her home, so i have to say No, but he is scared. I'm so tired.

pigless in VA

I would want him to see a psychiatrist. Does he currently have one? Is he safe with his dad or would he be safer at your house?

PiscesMom

take him to ER? a regular ER? I don't want him here - because I promised my daughter I wouldn't ?? and what would it solve?

pigless in VA

I had a really good experience the last mental health trip we made to the ER. It all depends on where you live and what else is going on that night, but if he is scared that could be the best and safest option.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I agree that he needs medical attention. Psychosis and it could become worse. My heart goes out to you.
I don't know enough about your medical system. But some one hearing voices and has history would be admired to psychiatric ICU for observation.

pigless in VA

It depends on how safe he feels. What about you going to him and assessing the situation first hand rather than over the phone? Do you have a county mental health service that you can call for assistance?

StillStanding

Yes. A regular ER. Depending on where you live, they might not keep him though if he isn't dangerous. In our city, there is a mental health check that you can request by calling 911. You might try that.

Good luck.

PiscesMom

i asked him if i could take him to ER - now the voices are saying he's a complete creep
how can i call anyone, I'm on the phone w him? thanks so much!!! by the way

PiscesMom

no psychiatrist. he has been treatment resistant but this is new stuff, the voices, before it was just conspiracy theories

pigless in VA

I think your best bet is to take him to the ER. Let him know that he is safe with you but that he really needs to see a doctor for these voices. You want to keep him safe.