My son is sick and I am very worried

Californiablonde

My son has been feeling sick since Saturday. He has been barely sleeping, has absolutely no appetite, and has been having headaches for three days. This morning he said it felt like his head was on fire. Today all he has eaten is a small cup of jello and a few bites of soup. He says he feels off and doesn't feel well at all. I am taking him to the doctors tomorrow. I am absolutely freaking out and thinking the worst, like cancer or a brain tumor. My worst fear has always been losing my only son. I am scared crapless. Please send good thoughts and prayers our way.

BusynMember

CB, we are so alike. We jump instantly to the worst conclusion.

Hon, my mom had a brain tumor...it does not come on quickly like that. Three days isnt long. I am sure you are just panicking, so much like I used to do. It is good you are taking him to the doctor and I will pray in every way.

BusynMember

CB, you do that and I get it more than youll ever know. Check in after he sees the doctor so we know what happened. Trust me when I tell you those aren't symptoms of a brain tumor. Because you worry, like me, I wont tell you what are symptoms!!!! Sending my love and understanding

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sounds like the worst it might be is a sinus infection. Those certainly aren't symptoms of neurological problems, let alone cancer or a brain tumor.

Let us know what the doctor says. And CB? Please get into counseling for your health anxiety. It's crippling you.

BusynMember

THANKS, GN!!!!!

seems like those of us with mental illness have a greater understanding of it. Bet you and I are about the only ones here who know what health anxiety is. It was and probably still better known as being a hypochondriac.

I had it so bad, along with my other anxiety, that the paramedics knew me and in the nearest ER room, the nurses would ask me about my kids...they knew me. As soon as you have a symptom of anything, you are convinced it is a fatal illness.

It is a terrifying way to live. My mom transferred her hypochodriasis to me. Every time I coughed, she broke down and got hysterical. Or any of us. I was the only one though who developed health anxiety, like she had. And medications took it away. Since Paroxatene, for me no more health anxiety.

Weird but I am grateful.

Cb, do tell your psychiatrist. You are still young and I don't want you to suffer with this like I did..hugs! Few people find one medication that fixes all, which oddly kind of happened to me, but there is plenty of good therapy for every kind of anxiety disorder. Take advantage.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Therapy also works wonders for anxiety of nearly any kind. CB, you have a very, very serious anxiety disorder. Health anxiety is one of the ways in which it is manifesting. Obsessive worry and anxiety surrounding your job is another.

The only thing that is going to rid you of this is medication and intensive therapy. Please, speaking as someone who's anxiety was once so bad that I used to have panic attacks at the thought of speaking to a cashier at a grocery store, and who used to choke on my own saliva while driving, there IS help for this.

You don't have to suffer. I'm not "fixed all better" I'm still a nervous, anxious person, but I'm normally so, and what isn't normal is mostly handled by medications and occasional "tuneups" with a therapist. Now, I've been iin therapy since childhood, so i've got a pretty good tool-box and can usually sort myself out. Not everyone gets to that point. If you do, great. If you don't? That's OK, too. Depends on the individual.

BusynMember

GN, you and I are so much alike in some areas. I had such bad panic attacks, I stayed home. I was afraid of having panic attacks where people might notice how scared I looked or acted. Even worse, I was embarrassed that I'd pass out,although it never happened. I was also afraid id scream, although that never happened either. I tried to get to an out of the way place and sink to the ground and sometimes id cry too. Sometimes people did see me and I just wanted to crawl in a hole.

My depression is greatly alleviated and anything to do with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is better since the Paroxatene, but the rest of my anxiety is manageable most of the time because of coping strategies I learned in therapy or by reading books related to calming down. The parixatene did not make me a calm person. I have to constantly work on that.

I got much better with cognitive therapy, but I like dialectal behavioral therapy even better. its a lot like CBT, but with a strong component if mindfulness, distraction therapy and radical acceptance to it. I meditate toon

Much csn be done for anxiety. It takes work, but I am very grateful that the therapy exists.

Last edited: