My son left home today

Lil

Hello February. I'm so sorry you find yourself needing to be with us - but this is a wonderful, caring place for parents like us.

36, pot smoking does not work, was talking some money from my checking account.

It struck me I could have written these words - except for the age. You see, we put our son out at 19. I have no real wisdom, but thought it might do you good to hear other's stories. Our son also was laying about, sleeping all day, smoking pot, stealing from us. Stealing was the final straw. His mood swings and tantrum were bad enough, but we would not be stole from for any reason. And he had no reason! He's been caught once before and we gave him a second chance. We let him come home and even gave him allowance. I believe the last time he'd even been working. There was no reason for it.

So...we put out our 19 year old child. He lived in our small city's homeless shelter for a time. We did continue to help him a bit, buying food, giving bus passes. He got a night job so we rented him an apartment. He never made a payment and we paid the whole 6 months and he quit or lost his job immediately. He couch surfed. He got in trouble. He left town and hitch-hiked across the state with a girlfriend. He mooched off relatives. He got kicked out. He finally got a job and an apartment back here and after a fire in his building we let him come back again, short-term. Through it all, we continued to help. Buying groceries, giving rides, giving small amounts of cash, getting a few bus passes, etc.

After he finally had enough money for an apartment - we'd made it CLEAR he had to save up and we wanted him back out again in a few months - for various reasons, he instead moved to Colorado to be homeless there. I still occasionally helped him out with money...but in the end, I stopped providing ANY support, he met a girl who gave him a hand and a place to stay, but he's now working, paying rent and getting married! AFTER I quit giving him a hand, THAT'S when he got his act together.

It is hard to know he is out there with no money, work, food, car or housing.

My son never had a car. I felt bad about that, but he wouldn't have paid the insurance or license or have money for gas anyway. He found food. There are food pantries and soup kitchens and homeless shelters. My son survived and was much, much younger than yours. Your son will survive this and with any luck realize how darn good he had it.

36 is darn near middle-aged. He HAS to get a life. You will not always be able to support him and he needs to learn to stand on his own. I know how hard it is to take a step back and let these things unfold...but that's the right thing to do.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Hi February

I agree with all the others. Your son is way too old to be living at home for ANY reason.

I think you need to enjoy your life. You and hubby need to go have some FUN! I saw a therpaist to help me form boundaries with our son. Your son desperately needs boundaries!!

I have been heartbroken over his choices since he was 15 and has been spiraling out of control with drug use and STUCK in neutral.

My son will be 23 in a few weeks and I can guarantee there is no way I would have him living with me when he is anywhere near 36; no matter what. He is coming back in November after a 13 month stint in a faith based program. He will have strong rules. He will only be with us while he is planning out his life - work or school or both, the National Guard etc. If he breaks our rules he will have to leave.

You see I don't want any adults living with us any longer. We love the empty nest!

Hugs and stay strong!

Snow White

On the Mad Tea Party Ride
February - sorry that you are going through this. It is not what any of us signed up for.

Our daughter is also homeless at the moment (living in her boyfriend's car/tent). So many images of what could go wrong fill my brain. She has been traveling the world without a care for the past 4 years - most of it with the financial assistance of us, friends and even strangers. She knows of all the resources, should she not be able to secure what she wants by manipulation. These kids can be more resourceful than we think. My husband and I have come out of the FOG and no longer support her for housing or money. We know how heartbreaking having your child on the street can be but if your son hasn't figured out a plan by now, he never will. Enabling the behavior will not help. You deserve the ability to enjoy your later years in peace and serenity.

SWOT's self-declaration of her (amazing) journey is proof that there is hope and a positive path, if our children want to take it. Some can and will but others will struggle for the rest of their lives. I find I have to always picture my daughter as an "adult". If I continue to think of her as the "cute little baby or toddler", then I fall back into my FOG ways. These children are adults. With adult choices comes adult responsibilities - they own them, just as we own ours.

I found out my son was more resourceful than I thought and he is a survivior. And he did learn from the experience.
We found this out but long after giving thousands of dollars in 'bail outs', apartment damage deposits/rent, bus fare, electronic devices/phones, etc.

And ultimatelty it is their responsibility to figure out their own lives. We will not be around forever... they need to figure it out without us.
We are at retirement age now and every day for us is precious. Our ultimate wish for our 2 children is that they will be independent. One has figured it out. The other has a long way to go.

AFTER I quit giving him a hand, THAT'S when he got his act together.
Our daughter is still getting assistance from others but not from us. One day the pot of gold will disappear and she will need to figure things out for herself. She hasn't asked for money from us in several months (she knows what the answer will be).

I think you need to enjoy your life. You and hubby need to go have some FUN!
RN is so right on here. Self-care is so critical and maintaining your marriage is top priority. Stop the guilt. You are entitled to enjoy life. Go and do it!

Stay close to the forum - post often. It really helps.

{Hugs}

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Hi Feb
Just catching up on this thread lots of great advice for you here. Man I’m ready to say at the next ternal of relapse my sons on his own and he’s 19 you’ve hung in there and done so much for so long he is 36 years old it’s time.