My Son's Artwork Featuring His Father

Rachael_H

Hi everyone, first time poster here, looking for a bit of input.

Recently my son has been dabbling in a 3d modelling program, it's quite a nifty little program that lets him use models of video game characters and pose them in still scene.

However, I came across a few of his newest pictures, quite a few of which feature his father in perilous/dangerous situations and often knocked out.

Not sure how I feel about it, something about the imagery doesn't sit right with me. Am I overthinking this or is there something else at play.

LittleDudesMom

Rachael,
First, welcome to the site.

Your link is not working, but if it features an actual image of his dad, I don't think you should post it anyway (if that is you in your avatar, you might want to consider changing that as well-this is a public forum that is read around the world). It's enough to say that he is thinking/fantasizing about his father being hurt. Were he my son, I would speak with him about it - honestly and forthright is always the best approach, in my opinion.

Since you are new, we are not familiar with the family situation/history (dad live in the house? how old is difficult child? any other signs that something is not right? Is your son diagnosed with anything or on medications?). It's always best to include a signature so that we can have a little background. It's helpful when offering support or advise to know a little about the situation before a new poster arrives.

Sharon

Rachael_H

Hi Sharon, thanks for the welcome.

My son is 16, an only child who lives with me and his father. No real issues, medically speaking. We've always thought of him as a little quirky but nothing too serious, he has a large circle of friends, is reasonably outgoing and has quite a few hobbies.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just wanted to add my welcome Rachael. Glad you found us, hope we can help.

Have you shown the pictures to a child psychologist or child psychiatrist?

BusynMember

At sixteen, unless he is violent in real life, I would be thinking maybe it was a man-type joke, especially if Dad likes to play videogames with him. If he is actually a violent kid, I'd give it more weight. What kind of relationship does he have with his father? Does he have any diagnosis?

LittleDudesMom

Rachael,
from you description, it certainly doesn't sound like this is a young man who has struggled with social, emotional, or developmental issues. I would, since you are concerned, speak to your son as I suggested in my first post. You really can keep it calm and light. "Son, I happen to see your renderings the other day and am impressed you are so good at the modeling! But, one thing caught my eye and I have been thinking about it for a couple days. You has some pictures of your dad in there and they depicted him in some dangerous situations. I am a little concerned because I love you dad, he loves you and I know you love him. Wondering why you dad's face was featured on this art?"

Could be that he is sharing the artwork with online friends and it's cool to "hate on" your parents - you just never know. But, I would be concerned enough to ask.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Good idea, Sharon.
Racheal, my daughter is getting a master's in art therapy. If you want to PM me, I can forward the picture with-any pertinent info if you want.

DammitJanet

Racheal I have a computer geek son who would love to work with that program. Having said that it would worry the pants off me if I had seen a picture like you describe. Number one, I have a feeling the school is going to have a cow over it if they see it.

I would also talk to him quietly. This could indicate a bit of depression that he has been able to hide.