My son's birthday

LauraH

Today is my son's 29th birthday. I got to talk to him for a few minutes and he sounded fairly happy. The boyfriend texted me and said there is no visitation until Thursday...he's in rehab...but he was bringing him a cake, a card, and a couple pairs of new jeans. He'll get to see him for just a minute. I'll be sending him a card and little gift but I just got the address today so I can't get it in the mail until Monday.

Overall my son and his boyfriend are totally toxic and bad for each other, but I am grateful that the boyfriend is doing that for him on his birthday. He's basically the only friend he has in the area, since his other best friend and former roommate moved out of state. I'm glad he'll at least get to see a familiar face and enjoy a birthday cake. I appreciate those little rays of sunshine in an otherwise dark and stormy relationship.

Acacia

It's good to celebrate any kindness from one person to another. An important thing is to recognize the difference between kindness and manipulation and enabling.

Any ray of sunshine helps.

Keep posting. Some posts get more attention than others, but every post matters.

Origami

Laura, my son also recently spent his birthday (31) in rehab, so I know the feeling. Luckily, he was able to get a pass for the following weekend, so we had a dinner and cake for him at our house, but he had to leave early to get back for curfew. It's nice that your son's boyfriend helped him celebrate, and I know that made you feel better about the day (despite the toxicity).