my step-father died

pigless in VA

No condolences are necessary. I have been waiting for years for troll to pass. Several months ago I explained to my mom that if he died first, I would not be able to attend his funeral.

His son is best friends with my ex-husband who stalked me. I cannot and will not open up that can of venomous snakes. To meet with those people from my past would be unsafe.

My mom understood. They had a gathering at troll's grandson's house but no formal funeral or memorial. According to mom, it went well and was dull except for one guy riding up on a Harley. She had forgotten who he was, but I remembered and am glad I wasn't there to experience it. I don't have anything against Harleys per se, but troll was friends with a host of extremely rough people.

pigless in VA

I was worried about what my brother thought about me not attending. I decided to send him an email thanking him for going and for helping Mom fix her fence.

That email seems to have broken the ice which had been between us since he blew up at me over my dad's driving. I'm glad I acknowledged how he helped Mom. I know the two of us will have to be able to talk about our aging parents.