My teenage son is urinating in his room

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by runawaybunny, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Administrator Staff Member

Posting this on behalf of @Stuckinelp

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of seven hes now 14th and no longer using medicine my concern is seven years ago he was not using the toilet and urinating in his closet I spoke to him about it he just said he was lazy and didn’t wanna get up. Then a few months later we were in a rental home and again when we packed up and moved his room smells like P again he just told me that was because he was scared in this house I asking all the questions is something wrong anything to find out why was doing it but that was the end it never happened again he told me it’s because he was scared because it wasn’t his House and I thought that was going to be end of it now fast forward seven years and today I just realized he’s probably doing it ever since we moved here and also in his fathers home it’s really bad there too . I don’t know how to approach him about this he’s very sensitive kid can anybody please help me with some advice

2. Crayola13

Crayola13 Active Member

It sounds like he has an anxiety disorder or maybe a medical problem with the bladder. I would take him to his primary care doctor. They might recommend counseling or send him to a urologist. Were there any traumatic experiences in his past?

3. BloodiedButUnbowed

BloodiedButUnbowed Active Member

Inappropriate urination is not at all normal and definitely a sign that something is very wrong either physically, mentally, or both. Please take him first to his pediatrician and then to a psychiatrist. Best wishes and keep us posted.

4. LAPW

LAPW New Member

My son did this and it because he didn't want to take the time to go to the bath,
    which was right next door to his room because he was busy playing video games.

5. RN0441

RN0441 100% better than I was but not at 100% yet

My son would pee in cups or bottles, never just on the carpet but I still found it disturbing and disgusting. It was because of video games or not wanting to face us or be questioned.

6. needingpeace

needingpeace New Member

My son (age 11, ODD, ADHD, Asperger's, depression, anxiety, and mood disorder) has done this once a long time ago and then again recently. He told the doctor he usually did it when he was angry, so we agreed that when he was upset he would go cool down in the bathroom. Also, I had to rip out the carpet and the underpad. I had tried to have the carpets cleaned 3 times. Each time the smell was worse. I had a talk with him about this being in appropriate and since he made the choice to pee in the carpet he would have to help rip it up. I had him pull up the carpet, and pull out the tack board. Then bought some clear kills sealant and put that on the floor. I will fix the floor when we move out of the house, because it is likely to happen again. In fact it has happened twice since then. :frown: Once I caught him trying to pee in the washing machine, and the other I found he had peed on the refrigerator. I made him use a toothbrush to clean the grout, so that he would understand the trouble that is gone through to clean up this stuff. He doesn't like having to use the toothbrush to clean. Also, I had him do this stuff so he sees the consequence of "you break it, you buy it."

Good Luck!:notalone:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List